Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How to train for a 200 km brevet in 7 months ... from 40 km fast trekking biking?

Hello,

After being a fast recreational biker during weekends covering 2 rides of 40 km every weekend, I decided that bicycling with a trekking bike is not for me anymore and that I would really be interested in getting a road bike to cover larger distances.

I always had a goal to pursue in my life. As far as cycling is concerned the goal is to complete a 200 km brevet in September.

However, in my mind to go from 40 to 200km in 7 months seems hard, without a training program. I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion or a link I could follow.

I am able to do 3 trainings per week. A 2-3h midweek training session and 2 4-5h training sessions during weekends.

All programs I have found on the net are more demanding timewise, which is not possible since there is a wife and real life issues we all know.

Any help?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

themartincox | 12 years ago
0 likes

just build slowly as everyone as said.

I started cycling again at the end of sept with a view to being able to cycle lejog and back in may - first ride was just 4 miles long!

upping the rides every week by time was my strategy, keep a comfortable pace and just ride for 30 mins longer each week - it soon adds up!

100km ride came after 22 days
100mile ride came after 43 days

just gently pootling along! have fun  4

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have to disagree with the "just stack up the miles" theory.

In combination of having a long ride during your week you should also look to do some interval training, depending on the interval structure you can increase anything from your maximum air intake to the co-operation between your lungs and heart.

I know its not a "race" per say, but interval training is a very effective way to get in shape, and if you do it right you will start to feel changes in 2-3 weeks of training.

Its nice to be in good shape when you are cycling 200km because it means you'll have a greater capacity to do so - in my opinion.

I find that www.training4cyclists.com has some nice free interval programs, but you'll also find them across the web  1

And the great thing about intervals - it doesen't take you more than one hour.

Simon E replied to seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes
seabass89 wrote:

Its nice to be in good shape when you are cycling 200km because it means you'll have a greater capacity to do so - in my opinion.

Interesting perspective. I'd suggest that training to ride further may require a different approach to going faster. Otherwise a 100-mile TT would be a piece of cake for someone accustomed to riding club 10s.

Carlton Reid's 10 year old son Josh completed a 100-mile ride (here). The two of them also completed the Phil Liggett Challenge in 2010, detailed in this PDF article (1.1 Mb).  16

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

No problems. Also just enjoy it. Don't get caught up in the regimented mindset of training!! Hop on the bike take in the scenery the fresh air and you'll find you'll eat up the miles. And most important pace your ride. You don't want to be bonking half way through a ride in the middle of nowhere. Listen to your body  1

andybwhite | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think you'll surprise yourself with how quickly you build up the distance, especially if you join a club - it's more difficult if you don't.

You seem to have plenty of time to train. Your 2-3 hour midweek ride will be about 50km? and your weekend rides will be around 80km?

From my own and my wife's experience (when we started many years ago), once you have done a couple of 80Km rides you will be able to step up to 100+km without noticing it.
Then after a few weeks (make sure you include some hills) you'll be able to get to that magic 100mile (160km), and then the rest will be history.

I started in February 1983 by riding a 40km commute (2x20km) twice a week for two weeks. Then went on a club ride where I packed after 50km.
Not to be deterred I did another 2 weeeks of 3 commutes a week with a 50km ride at the middle weekend. Back out with the club and managed 80km just 1 month after I started cycling - but I was knackered.

I made sure I went out each weekend with the club and soon the mileage stepped up to 100km by early April. In May I did my first 100mile ride and in June I managed to ride the 240in24hours (400km) ride with ease having never ridden more than 160km.

Riding that bit further is easy - just ride steadily. You can do it, and sooner than you think.

kupepe | 12 years ago
0 likes

Really thanx for your replies. It seems that the way is clear. Build up my mileage every couple of weeks till I reach 200 km in total per week ... and then push it during summer  1

Really thanx

Simon E replied to kupepe | 12 years ago
0 likes
kupepe wrote:

It seems that the way is clear. Build up my mileage every couple of weeks till I reach 200 km in total per week ... and then push it during summer  1

Yep, that's more or less what I'd suggest.

When it gets warmer try to fit in some longer early morning rides - slipping out of the house early and getting back in time for a late breakfast has made for my most memorable training rides. It impacts less on family time at weekends too. Also, if your other half can understand the significance of this goal to you I'm sure she won't mind having the occasional Sunday morning to herself.

You are better than you think you are. You can do more than you think you can.

Ken Chlouber, Leadville 100.

Simon E replied to kupepe | 12 years ago
0 likes

Double post. Drat!

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Was going to say the same as fringe. The brevet/audax isn't a 'race' even sportives are not races yet many treat them as such. Get the miles in your legs. If you commute, extend your commute by a couple of miles. Build up your weekend ride so you're maybe doing a 70k and chuck in a 2/3 hour mid-week ride. Be aiming for 200k a week. If you don't commute then aim to get several 2/3 hour rides each week. By the time you get to the summer you should quite happily be rattling out a 100k weekend ride. Also keep on top of your diet and you'll be grand. Hope this helps.

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

you have plenty of time (months wise) and easily enuff time (bike wise) and as its an audax (i presume) its not a race as such so a steady pace all round is all you need to focus on. just keep increasing the mileage by a comfortable amount every couple of weeks and remember to eat and drink (little and often). by july/august if you can get, say two 150km rides in each month then by sept. that extra 50km will be no problem..

any help?

Latest Comments