Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

team sky info

Heard shane sutton tell the world that he expects wiggo and millar to join team sky next season and cav may come home the year after, its a nice thought but I cant imagine it happening. Reasons being that millar part owns garmin slipstream so why would he race for a rival? Wiggo only joined garmin slipstream this year. As for cav, columbia are a team set up for him to win...would he leave to be patriotic?

Thoughts...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

11 comments

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

Exactly.

0 likes

Maybe Sutton knows that Millar and Wiggins are going to join Team Sky before Millar and Wiggins do? They may get an offer which they cannot refuse.

John_the_Monkey replied to cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes
cat1commuter wrote:

Maybe Sutton knows that Millar and Wiggins are going to join Team Sky before Millar and Wiggins do? They may get an offer which they cannot refuse.

Waking up next to the severed headtube of a Felt TT bike?

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

yes, maybe he shouldnt have said that.

John_the_Monkey | 14 years ago
0 likes

Now reported as Sutton having been misinterpreted, apparently.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/millar-and-wiggins-staying-put

Quote:

British Cycling told Cyclingnews that comments made by Sutton during the interview had been misunderstood. The BBC had quoted Sutton as saying, "All these guys are going to move on to the Sky pro road team, maybe I shouldn't have said that."

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I thought the idea was to bring on young British talent but also to use some older foreign heads (and legs), they are going to have a continental base too.

there's a bit more here http://road.cc/content/news/2538-brailsford-heads-team-sky-tasked-winnin...

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

And Cav would take a big part of the budget - must be one of the most expensive riders out there when he comes to renew.

Is the team to be British only then? Or just British biased. Maybe Dan Martin could still get a ride if he needed one.

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Well, Cervelo's Dan Lloyd rode in their Giro team so it's not as if he's lacking chances there. Plus those guys seemed to be very much on the outside of British Cycling's Performance Plan - my impression is that they feel they've got to where they are despite BC not because of them.

Wiggins has another year to run on his contract at Slipstream and they've already said he's not available.

To get Cavendish they would have to build a team around him - and that doesn't fit with building a team to win the Tour de France

0 likes

Since none of the Cervelo Brits are getting a ride in this year's TdF, maybe they would be interested!

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

I think it would be brilliant but I would expect it to be made up of a lot of british youngsters and some continental experience. I dont see the pull for british experienced riders who have their teams etc (apart from, like you say, the barloworld contingent)

radar | 14 years ago
0 likes

Millar's ownership was partly a way of Slipstream signing him. Otherwise they could not have afforded him.

Plenty of other names to link with the team too... Barloworld have lost out big time with their grand tour invites this year... maybe a few of their British and Commonwealth riders would be welcomed with open arms?

A few years ago you would have been committed to the asylum to suggest an all British bike team. Now it is very feasible. Dan Martin - could he be persuaded to become British again? Peter Kennaugh should be snapped up to ride in the pro peleton soon.

Would any of Cervelo's Brits be willing to jump ship. All seems very rosy in that camp.

Cav - forget that for quite some time. As well as natural talent he has fantastic team support.

Latest Comments