Opinions please

by Joselito   January 27, 2012  

Should I report an idiot to Mr Plod or is it not worth it?
I'm coming home from work on a quiet residential street and a driver pulls out as I'm passing, no contact but he's that close to me so my - undiagnosed Wink Tourette's kicks in and I call him a jeffing idiot. He then follows me to next junction and gets out of the car and the inevitable argument ensues with him taking umbrage at being called a jeffing idiot and he asks what I called him, so I tell him again and why. It becomes apparent that it was a case of SMIDNSY but he doesn't apologise for this and pursues the angle of being called an idiot. So far, plus ca change... However, this bloke then becomes threatening and then says to me that 'You don't know who you're dealing with and next time I will fucking mow you down'. I mention that cars have reg plates and only then he gets back in his car with a parting shot of another threat that 'you don't know how lucky you've been and if I wasn't in this car...'
Should I put it down to experience and bite my tongue next time or report him to local plod? Ta, any opinions?

12 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Yep - threat to kill, you have his reg, report it. Simple as.

If they don't do anything, refer Plod to the recent case where a cyclist & barrister pursued his case despite the CPS and the police not wanting to press charges.

posted by thereandbackagain [159 posts]
27th January 2012 - 19:03

1 Like

I agree with thereandbackagain, but try not to lose it next time! A friendly word does far more for our cause...

posted by Geekyroj [2 posts]
27th January 2012 - 19:16

1 Like

Report it, just in case you are mown down by him. At least them the Police will know who to go looking for.

The Good Shepherd's picture

posted by The Good Shepherd [54 posts]
27th January 2012 - 19:17

1 Like

Report it, but nothing will be done at the moment as its your word again his.

What it will do, is be noted on file, incase he does try as "mow you down" in the future.

This is why i never hurl abuse at drivers, now i have a helmet cam, i may well start responding to idoits, as i have proof now.

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9201 posts]
27th January 2012 - 19:18

1 Like

To not put to fine a point on it - keep your gob shut the next time. By all means report it to the Police and ask for the driver to be spoken to.

Threats to kill is nigh on impossible to prove as the defendant has to admit the offence and beleive me no one will admit they were actually going to kill another person.

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

posted by stumps [3034 posts]
27th January 2012 - 19:18

1 Like

Def report it. As others mentioned nothing will come of it in terms of a prosecution but it'll be on record

posted by lazyusername [143 posts]
27th January 2012 - 21:40

1 Like

stumps wrote:
To not put to fine a point on it - keep your gob shut the next time.

Why should you? If someone comes too close to you with a car and you think it is unacceptable, say something. Swearing is not always the best option but thats human nature for you. The little muppets that follow you or get out to have a go are expecting you to feel threatened, just stop, stand your ground and keep your cool.
I personally wouldn't bother to report it, if you got the reg and think there is a possibilty of him waiting around to mow you down one night then by all means speak to the police but I doubt they'll take it very seriously.

Twitter - @StuKerton

stuke's picture

posted by stuke [338 posts]
27th January 2012 - 21:43

1 Like

So your quite happy to shout and swear at people and not to report it if threatened then Stuke??

Get it reported right away, If and i hope it doesn't, but if anything was to happen to you at the hands of this guy, then at least its all on record and can also then be used again him, proof or not, if you report a threat and something comes of it, then it can also be used without needing to prove it was said

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9201 posts]
27th January 2012 - 23:38

1 Like

Stuke, by f'ing and blinding at someone makes you no better than they are.

The country is full of knackers so why lower yourself to be counted as one of them Thinking

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

posted by stumps [3034 posts]
28th January 2012 - 0:36

0 Likes

Report him, before he mows down another cyclist. Nobody deserves that sort of behavior. He needs to learn to grow up and share the road.
Besides far far too many 'minor' incidents don't get reported. If we all did it I think more drivers would be a little more wary.

posted by High Cadence [11 posts]
28th January 2012 - 9:22

1 Like

stumps wrote:
Stuke, by f'ing and blinding at someone makes you no better than they are.

The country is full of knackers so why lower yourself to be counted as one of them Thinking

Read my post again mate, I'll think you'll find I said swearing is not the best option.
How is rolling over and accepting it and then going to tell teacher any better. I'd love the police to respond to every twat that cuts me up or passes me to close but it ain't going to happen.

Twitter - @StuKerton

stuke's picture

28th January 2012 - 22:51

1 Like

Gkam84 wrote:
So your quite happy to shout and swear at people and not to report it if threatened then Stuke??

Get it reported right away, If and i hope it doesn't, but if anything was to happen to you at the hands of this guy, then at least its all on record and can also then be used again him, proof or not, if you report a threat and something comes of it, then it can also be used without needing to prove it was said

Over the years I've been threatened outside the pub, threatened when driving, threatened when I was at school, clashes happen between people happen all the time,especially on our crowded roads, deal with it, its life. If I complained to the police everytime someone bumped their gums at me in 7000 miles of commuting last year it'd be like the boy that cried wolf

Twitter - @StuKerton

stuke's picture

28th January 2012 - 22:58

1 Like