Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Technique advice sought.

Can anybody recommend any reliable cycling technique websites? I'm going to enter my first couple of events this year and would like a little advice on technique, strategy and particularly climbing so that the organisers aren't having to wait too long for me to finish! Thanks

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

Squiggle | 12 years ago
0 likes

Youtube has loads of advice from folk like Chris Carmichael (Lances coach!) and many others on climbing, descending, and cornering techniques. That's good you're training but it's always easier to go out if you have something new to try.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

My mtb background means my bike handling has helped me out in a few corners, etc.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

For breathing, and i know this wont be for everyone

But i bought an EXPAND-A-LUNG, cost me about £25 through ebay, what a wonder it has done me, only ever used in indoors on the trainer, would look a little stupid out on the road  19

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sounds like it would be a good idea to join a club.

Richthornton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thank you all. I'm not afraid of doing the graft, indeed I am looking forward to doing it, especially now I have goals to aim for. I wasn't asking for a cheat or short-cut to greatness, just advice on such things as gearing, posture, breathing, cadence etc. to make sure I am maximising the benefits of what I am doing.

Raleigh replied to Richthornton | 12 years ago
0 likes
Richthornton wrote:

Thank you all. I'm not afraid of doing the graft, indeed I am looking forward to doing it, especially now I have goals to aim for. I wasn't asking for a cheat or short-cut to greatness, just advice on such things as gearing, posture, breathing, cadence etc. to make sure I am maximising the benefits of what I am doing.

It's good that you've realised that.

Breathing is something you can practice every two or three seconds, posture is either preference or uncomfortable, and cadence should be High.

The larger the gear, the faster you tire out!
In order to be a masher, you have to first master spinning, or something like that.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=sportive+training+plan

Like Gkam says, if you want to get better at climbing then ride up hills. Get your bike set up for you, learn to pace yourself and ride similar distances to your target events.

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

Nothing short of miles on the road I'm afraid.

Cycling Magasines (cycling weekly, cycling active, cycling plus) all seem to have this kind of info in every week. Essentially, steady miles in the winter + speed intervals in spring = fast, easy summer.

Nutrition Tekkers is probably quite important too, so make sure you have enough food and water to maximise training and recovery.

On that point, recovery is almost as important as training, so give your body time to repair itself and grow back stronger each time you exercise.

Find a training partner, that way you can go twice as far as you normally could!

(not science)

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Technique's to make you a better climber and finish faster??

I don't know any websites, but i'm sure others will chip in, I'll start you off

TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN, find a local climb, get out on your bike as often as possible, keep going for the climb, the only way to make you a better climber unfortunately is to train on climbs, i wish there was some miracle training technique, but there isn't

Finishing in the time limit and not having people wait for you is all about pacing yourself, dont go blowing all your energy in the first few miles just trying to keep up with the guys who do events all the time, stick to your own pace and keep turning the pedals

If you have any other mates who you go out with, try and rope them into the event, that way, you can work out a group pace and its much easier than sitting there on your own and having other people passing you all the time, thats a pain in the neck when trying to keep your pace

Latest Comments