Rapha club jersey or Lightweight Jersey?

by kupepe   January 23, 2012  

Hello,

Since I am new to cycling and the amount of cash needed to invest in gear is considerable, I am interested in getting advantage of sales perioed and buy myself a summer jersey?

Based on your experience, for temperatures 28-35 Celsious, which of the two jerseys would be best?

Does the full zipper make a significant difference?

Thank you in advance

11 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I rarely zip anything further down than halfway so couldn't comment on that, but I think you would find the club jersey a bit thick and warm for that sort of temperature - I would go with the lightweight one (which is also a bit more "fitted")

posted by simonkenyon [21 posts]
23rd January 2012 - 22:15

like this
Like (0)

full zips make you look like a pro! Cool

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [810 posts]
23rd January 2012 - 22:16

like this
Like (0)

28-35C. I'd put the bike away, take cover and drink cold beer...

posted by Chrisc [141 posts]
23rd January 2012 - 22:22

like this
Like (0)

U cannot do that in Greece ... should put the bike out 3/4 of the year ... darn country ... we got no money .. but we got this sun that just wont chill out .. EVER !!!!

posted by kupepe [63 posts]
23rd January 2012 - 22:23

like this
Like (0)

Full length zip on the lightweight, go with that, lighter weight material than the club jersey so better in the warm This jersey is so nice I use it all year round now!

posted by TheDoctor [77 posts]
23rd January 2012 - 22:33

like this
Like (0)

Sold out at sales.... Damnit ... No large size .. Smile

23rd January 2012 - 22:45

like this
Like (0)

Shutt VR sale. I just got a full zip white & blue summer jersey in L. Merino wool. Lovely jersey.

posted by Chrisc [141 posts]
23rd January 2012 - 23:20

like this
Like (0)

Crikey, buying Rapha when you got no money ... how does that work?? Smile

Try Torm, I love my jersey from these guys ... they make some great stuff, may be a little on the heavy side for Greek temperatures although I used mine on some blistering days in UK last Summer .. seem to remember we had one or two .. Smile

http://www.torm.cc/products.html

Hope this helps ..

Me, Myself and I

posted by phax71 [300 posts]
24th January 2012 - 13:28

like this
Like (1)

Just to re-iterate what everyone else has said - the Merino club jersey is far too warm for Greece. You definitely need something lightweight with a long zip.

posted by bashthebox [638 posts]
24th January 2012 - 14:39

like this
Like (0)

bashthebox wrote:
Just to re-iterate what everyone else has said - the Merino club jersey is far too warm for Greece. You definitely need something lightweight with a long zip.

point taken .. thank you all

24th January 2012 - 15:58

like this
Like (0)

I've been using the Rapha Lightweight jersey in Abu Dhabi, even in summer when the temperature is well over 40C so I would certainly recommend it.

Haven't tried Torm but I have tried Shutt. I liked the jersey but to be honest I sent it home to London and the cooler weather. It would be lovely for a UK summer jersey but I found that out here when I'm sweating bucketloads the wool soaked up a lot of moisture and it got quite heavy and saggy.

The Rapha on the other hand keeps its shape beautifully and allows the moisture to escape as much as a synthetic would.

The Shutt jersey works perfectly well wihin its design limits, but extreme heat is too much for it.

I suspect Torm would be the same but if they want to send me one I'm willing to test-ride it.

abudhabiChris's picture

posted by abudhabiChris [515 posts]
28th January 2012 - 18:09

like this
Like (0)