Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Solutions for the dreaded knee pain!

So after my DNF in the Dragon ride because of sharp pains behind the kneecap in my left knee I rode to work today for the first time (1.5 week rest?). However this mean't a dull ache in my left knee.

Anyone got any suggestions/solutions for knee pain?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

Thanks Cat1commuter that was interesting.

Jon I get what you mean now.

Anyone know if there is a website that lists places that do bike fitting?

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

I didnt intend for it to suggest it was in order to lose weight, your simply leaning on the wall to disperse some of your weight away from your knees so they get a gradual workout. It sounds too basic and when I did it there didnt appear to be any change until I tried to run and cycle again and it didnt hurt anymore. I had gone for 3 or so months of resting and training with the pain coming back almost straight away before the physio suggested this sort of light work.

cat1commuter | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've found that this page has some useful advice and is worth reading.

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

Well I don't need to shed weight as far as I'm aware (6"4, 11.5/12 stone) so it's back in the gym for some squats!  1

0 likes

yes fair enough I will edit and add a comma.

ctznsmith | 14 years ago
0 likes

"squats leaning against a wall to shed weight" ...should there be a comma there?

Are we talking light 'body weight' squats?

0 likes

if you rub the area around your kneecap can you feel any small lumps/pocket of air or liquid? That is one likely problem thats caused by an extended period of doing one movement or motion such as a long ride.
I had it, called plica, and the remedy was to rest and do knee strengthening excercises such as squats, leaning against a wall to shed weight, gentle lunges and stretches as well as a 10minute massage on the knee area before bed. Worked for me as im fine now.
Of course it may not be this but its worth a look.

Latest Comments