Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Gloves v frostbite

This morning was a nightmare for my fingers. When I got to work, I had to steep my fingers in lukewarm water to get the feeling back. I was wearing a pair of Gore countdown gloves and some wool undergloves and it still didn't stop the cold. Anyone got any suggestions of gloves that will better protect my fingers?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

16 comments

hanny152 | 11 years ago
0 likes

I bought Endura road overshoes this season and there are the best winter overshoes I have bought for cold weather rides: http://www.endura.co.uk/Product.aspx?dept_id=107&prod_id=14

Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes

Buffalo mitts - not pretty, but very, very effective. < £20

bashthebox | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've got Sealskinz gloves, which work pretty well since they're neoprene + merino(?). Apart from the one whose stitching is coming apart. That's sodding annoying.

Feet - commuting I wear thick wool socks and overshoes. My commute mtb shoes have a smidge of room in, since I heard Sidi come up small I sized up.

My road shoes are tight, can just fit two thin merino socks inside them, but even with overshoes I'm still cold when there weather's like this.

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just wrap duct tape over the vents in your shoes, works a treat. I'm a cycling McGuyver.

andylul | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have v snug shoes and no room for more than one pair of socks. Have Pearl Izumi toe covers that keep chill out for about an hour but should really invest in some overshoes

zzgavin | 12 years ago
0 likes

Making sure the gloves fit properly too helps, I used to wear gloves that bunched up off my palm when I pushed my thumb across to my fingers, then I read the fitting instructions on one of the various websites and measured around the knuckles and realised I was a tall person with narrow hands, so a small or medium fitted best. They've been the most comfortable mitts I've owned. (rapha ones if your are curious). Ignore the brand, but do check fit of your gloves, any looseness will result in cold getting in and freezing fingers. I'm using the mitts inside a pair of ill-fitting gore gloves which is ok to about -2. Long fingers and narrow hands make for difficult full finger glove fitting,

rbx | 12 years ago
0 likes

Use the same gloves as stuke - Altura Night Vision - and have no problems with cold in any weather.

Feet, are a different deal altogether. Any ideas, other than overshoes, are highly welcome.

stuke | 12 years ago
0 likes

feet wise, Defeet Woolie Boolie merino socks plus neoprene overshoes, fine this morning on my commute when the computer said -6 degrees

stuke | 12 years ago
0 likes

make sure your gloves aren't too tight as that restricts blood flow and can lead to cold fingers.

for the really cold days I find Altura Night Vision waterproof (not very breathable) outer gloves plus the liner gloves they come with. I was riding in to work at -10C last winter with no issues.

I've also found if I bung the liners on the radiator to warm them up and putting both pairs of gloves on before I leave the house, keeping the heat in, it makes a world of difference.

Andywoo | 12 years ago
0 likes

A pair of surgical gloves under normal long finger gloves works too.
Feet 2 pairs of socks plus overshoes

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

Also I find shaking my hands rapidly downwards (as if you're trying to shake gloves off your hand ironically) helps get the blood to your hands to help warm them.

Seen it on a Bear Grylls programme and it does work.

trikeman | 12 years ago
0 likes

BBB overshoes (booties) feet like toast no wind chill at all - very comfy too. Pinkies covered with a pair of light neoprene gloves and over Altura wind defender/night reflectives, uber warm toes and pinkies makes all the difference on the commute.

Trikeman.  3

buzz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Check your shoes - Stuff toilet paper stuffed into the vents in the soles, cover with a bit of duck tape, it makes a massive difference!

Sealskins gloves - toasty!

wingsofspeed68 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I recently got a pair of Madison Windshell gloves from Ribble for a Tenner and went out for a proper cold ride yesterday (-3 without the wind chill factor) and my fingers were toastie warm. I'm sure there are probably better gloves out there but if you're on a budget I can definitely recommend these.

Same as andylul though, I need something similar for my feet.

paulfg42 replied to wingsofspeed68 | 12 years ago
0 likes
wingsofspeed68 wrote:

I recently got a pair of Madison Windshell gloves from Ribble for a Tenner and went out for a proper cold ride yesterday (-3 without the wind chill factor) and my fingers were toastie warm. I'm sure there are probably better gloves out there but if you're on a budget I can definitely recommend these.

Same as andylul though, I need something similar for my feet.

Woolie boolies - feet were fine while my fingers froze

andylul | 12 years ago
0 likes

My Altura Altitude gloves are the best I've ever had - never had cold fingers at any temperature, and no liners.

My feet on the other hand - blocks of ice  2

Latest Comments