Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Need Bike storage - I MISS MY BIKE!

Hi all,

I'm currently a student at Aston University in Birmingham City Centre and a keen roadie and I MISS MY BIKE! The university do not allow students to keep bikes in their accommodation and I really do not fancy leaving my (rather pricey!) bike outside.

I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions as to what I can do. For example, does anybody know about any cheap 'storage companies' etc?

Many thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Some nifty suggestions for the OP, but how's he supposed to take the bike out on regular rides without it being seen? Even if he had a big bag, a pedestrian carrying a large bag but dressed in garish-coloured lycra, a crash helmet and shoes that you wouldn't walk to the end of the street in might look a tad suspicious!  4

"No, you can't look in the bag. The outfit is for...er... my part-time student job as a crime-fighting super-hero. In futuristic clogs!"

mb429 | 12 years ago
0 likes

if you've room under your bed, fire it under it when they come around looking, worked for me last year in halls!

A V Lowe | 12 years ago
0 likes

And I'll bet they fret about parking for student cars - or do they? If you do get a car parking space at halls buy a cheap van - check out if you can get SORN for the university car park and leave it there. Put good security inside and park bike.

Alternative as suggested put parts in bag(s) and keep bags in your room - rules say nothing about keeping parts of bikes do they?

University sounds decidedly backwards on cycle policies have you contacted Birmingham Cyclist forum - sort of story they would like.

bikecellar | 12 years ago
0 likes

whip the wheels off, stick it in a bag, and carry it up to room. Worked for me 40+ yrs ago.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

You can get space in a self storage facility for around £5 a week, worth trying a few to see how much enough room for a bike would be?

Latest Comments