Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Fitting Shimano R450 brake to an old Mixte

I would like to fit the Shimano R450 brake to an old Mixte bike which currently has some side pulls. The Shimano seems to use a collet type socket to fit the brake into the fork whereas the current brake uses a nut on the end which also holds the mudguard. Anyone know if I can fit the R450 to this old bike?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes
joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

ok, in that case just measure the dimensions of the fork crown. If it's less than about 60mm then you may need a longer bolt.

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

the issue is whether the mounting bolt on the R450 is long enough to slot into the fork and have enough thread protruding to fit a nut onto. I can measure the bolt on my R450 brakes and post the length later so you can decide if it will fit.

otherwise I think SJS cycles do various adapter bolts that might allow you to convert the brake.

adriank999 replied to joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for that, I notice the spec says the bolt is 2 inches long, but it seems that the securing nut fits into a larger hole than I have on the bike, so any information is appreciated.

Latest Comments