Who are the two must have riders in your TDU squad?

by JAndrewHill   January 12, 2012  

I think EBH and Chris Sutton will be the two riders thast everyone will pick first for the TDU as guaranteed high points scorers. Thinking

Or do you disagree?

28 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

The course is definitely suited to a strong sprinter like EBH. I just wonder how many of the non-Aussie big hitters will be targeting this race. Many of them will be targeting the spring classics, so they don't want to give it their all now. I'm going with Haussler as a good early season bet. (He did well in the Middle East races last year.)

posted by rcs500 [60 posts]
12th January 2012 - 23:33

like this
Like (1)

Going by history you cant go past Goss and Greipel

posted by cherrypicked [172 posts]
13th January 2012 - 7:37

like this
Like (1)

But Goss had a really bad performance in the australian championships. I'd say Gerrans and Lloyd. Both show that are in shape.

posted by ruiiiii [2 posts]
13th January 2012 - 23:45

like this
Like (1)

Or was Goss pacing himself, waiting for the tdu?
Whereas Gerrans got his reward at the champs and is happy to lead out his teammates in the TDU?

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1225 posts]
14th January 2012 - 1:01

like this
Like (0)

I personally think it will be EBH who goes for it big style with Renshaw hot on his heels. I know Renshaw will no doubt be lined up to lead someone out but i fancy him for at least one stage.

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2706 posts]
14th January 2012 - 5:21

like this
Like (0)

JAndrewHill wrote:
Or was Goss pacing himself, waiting for the tdu?

Personally, I don't believe in it. Another rider who I will pay attention is Valverde. He could suprise on Willunga Hill, although is coming back after the suspension.

posted by ruiiiii [2 posts]
14th January 2012 - 11:47

like this
Like (1)

Goss and EBH, surely?

posted by Rvizzle [97 posts]
14th January 2012 - 13:07

like this
Like (1)

Looking to last season at the same time, Haussler showed good form; the Aussies who finished thier national RR are probably in better shape than many others coming into the TDU; on top of that, Renshaw has something to prove, much like Griepel did last season. He might take the chance to show it here. Gerrans has the punch that won him stages in all three GTs, so he's a safe bet after coming of the RR with the champs jersey. For me it's these three; as for DSs, looking for people that might double for Paris-Nice to get so trades aren't burnt up as reports start to come out on who's on form and who isn't. Or, some people with a history of being enterprising in the classics.

posted by mperrone [14 posts]
14th January 2012 - 13:35

like this
Like (1)

Haussler and Renshaw. Both undervalued.

posted by Rowing Fiend [29 posts]
14th January 2012 - 13:54

like this
Like (0)

I think I have gone for a coule of certs, but I am now worried that I have gone too left field (or is that too Lanterne Rouge in cycling speak) with about 3 of my picks. . . . after all, how many spaniardsa have ever won the TDU?

J Andrew Hill

Its a marathon, not a snickers

JAndrewHill's picture

posted by JAndrewHill [1225 posts]
14th January 2012 - 14:19

like this
Like (1)

It's always a gamble ... Usually the Australians and New-Zealanders have already hit form and it is hard to tell what the objective for the Europeans is ... Just getting the miles in or preparing for the spring classics.And just maybe go all out for a win.
I'm gonna have a shot at Valverde on Willunga Hill though.

flyindustman

flyindustman's picture

posted by flyindustman [1 posts]
14th January 2012 - 14:46

like this
Like (1)

I reckon EBH is the guy to have, but maybe not until stage 2 Thinking

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7315 posts]
14th January 2012 - 15:23

like this
Like (0)

EBH is the guy to have, I wouldn't think Sutton though, I'd have Goss, Meyer and Renshaw ahead of Sutton

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8825 posts]
14th January 2012 - 16:09

like this
Like (0)

Looking at the rules it says you can pick any combination of star riders. Doe this mean that you can choose 4 GC riders if you like or 2 KM and 2 PC? Or have I just misunderstood the new rules?

Silly me. You're probably right....

MercuryOne's picture

posted by MercuryOne [1056 posts]
14th January 2012 - 20:55

like this
Like (0)

Just finished chopping and changing and finally plumped for Renshaw and Griepel.

posted by Securivaj [45 posts]
14th January 2012 - 21:20

like this
Like (0)

MercuryOne wrote:
Looking at the rules it says you can pick any combination of star riders. Doe this mean that you can choose 4 GC riders if you like or 2 KM and 2 PC? Or have I just misunderstood the new rules?

nope, you've understood: four star riders from any category.

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7315 posts]
15th January 2012 - 0:19

like this
Like (0)

Ballan? Van Avermart? EBH for the overall win methinks though..... Wouldn't bet against Robbie Hunter and Robbie Mcewan getting some top 20s though, and they come cheap ( relatively anyway) .........

Why am I giving away tips!??? Haha

JP

Dr Plumbster's picture

posted by Dr Plumbster [18 posts]
15th January 2012 - 1:55

like this
Like (1)

Don't think you can read too much into the Aussie Champs as there were 119 dnfs.

EBH, as he looks to be serious about it, and Sutton as he's cheap.

posted by Alan Tullett [1436 posts]
15th January 2012 - 21:51

like this
Like (1)

im wondering whether greenedge will all help goss for stage wins or whether they will protect gerrans for the overall and what role gerrans will have to play in goss' leadout??

posted by domobrien96 [47 posts]
16th January 2012 - 16:16

like this
Like (0)

Is there time bonus' for the winner of each stage ?

If there is my bet will be Goss, if not i'm sticking with EBH

If you must break the law, do it to seize power: in all other cases observe it. Gaius Julius Caesar.

stumps's picture

posted by stumps [2706 posts]
16th January 2012 - 16:54

like this
Like (0)

stumps wrote:
Is there time bonus' for the winner of each stage ?

If there is my bet will be Goss, if not i'm sticking with EBH

If i say yes, you'd go with Goss? OK, there is an hour time bonus for every time Goss crosses the finish line and if EBH crosses before him, EBH gets 30 mins added to his time Devil Devil

Gkam84's picture

16th January 2012 - 17:57

like this
Like (1)

Ok, GT and EBH think that Sutton is a good bet for stage one http://youtu.be/RR6ryIEYIL0

Gkam84's picture

16th January 2012 - 19:49

like this
Like (1)

Well i will tell you now my team is set and i have EBH and sutton (have from day 1 mind)

Will we be seeing you usual threads this week for each stage Gkam? or are you gonna be sleeping as I will

posted by TERatcliffe26 [3879 posts]
16th January 2012 - 20:33

like this
Like (1)

Gkam84 wrote:

If i say yes, you'd go with Goss? OK, there is an hour time bonus for every time Goss crosses the finish line and if EBH crosses before him, EBH gets 30 mins added to his time Devil Devil

Ah, so they're using the same system as the Tour this year then... Thinking

Sir Velo

Raleigh's picture

posted by Raleigh [1728 posts]
16th January 2012 - 21:31

like this
Like (0)

I just want the race to start as I've changed my team so many times that whatever happens I'm going to regret not having someone in my team. There are so many good sprinters in the race it's impossible to chose who I really want. Think I've made my final choices now. Crazily I've left out EBH, but I'll probably put him in for stage 2. I have included some of the cheaper sprinters who have been classed as DS hoping that they can pick up a few top 20s, leaving me more funds for bigger stars. Looking forward to playing the game for the whole season after joining at the start of the Tour last year. I was worried when I heard that changes were being made, but the new format looks great.

posted by NeilG83 [234 posts]
17th January 2012 - 0:52

like this
Like (1)

TERatcliffe26 wrote:
Well i will tell you now my team is set and i have EBH and sutton (have from day 1 mind)

Will we be seeing you usual threads this week for each stage Gkam? or are you gonna be sleeping as I will

No i shall be tucked up in bed, apart from maybe stage one, but its all good, i'm getting text and email updates from a mate who's out there Devil

Gkam84's picture

17th January 2012 - 1:34

like this
Like (0)

I just seen Stage 1 goes past Stockport, then through Saddleworth.
Think I'll get me coat on & go watch Laughing

I'm always in two minds
Then I go and pick the wrong one Sad

posted by fluffchucker [283 posts]
17th January 2012 - 1:40

like this
Like (1)

Must have shipped a few out from your way back in the day Wink

Fun to play 'spot the South London suburb' on a map of the Adelaide area too Nerd

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [8018 posts]
17th January 2012 - 2:26

like this
Like (0)