Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stem Length

Without spoiling another thread, i just saw an interesting post by Dave

dave_atkinson wrote:

Most of the pros are on 130mm (and even 140mm) stems

So just out of interest, what stem length are you riding with?

I'm currently running a 30mm, this is just for personal preference and not because my bike doesn't fit, when i had it fitted, it was a 110mm stem, but after trying various sizes, i'm comfy and feel i have much more control with my tiny 30mm  4

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

26 comments

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hmm, fraid I am indeed a new-fangled kind of guy, thanks though!

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

stem length is only part of the equation (unless you use flat bars or only ride the tops) you have to consider the bar dimensions in as well. A compact bar might be about 80mm from the centre to the apex of the bend, a more traditional drop bar could be over 100mm.

FWIW - road 100mm stem + 80mm reach , cx 100/70, mtb 80/0. me=5'10 long back, shortish arms.

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

Mark Cavendish's stem is probably wider than it is long.

Bikeylikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

It used to be said that to get the correct stem length you should sight down towards the front hub when sitting in the saddle with hands on the bars (can't remember whether it was tops or drops, maybe it's all the same). If it's right the hub should be hidden from your sight behind the bar tops.
Maybe that method has gone out of fashion? Maybe because everyone is so different in their preferences? I always go on calculating around 100mm stem for traditional frames, 110 or 115 for current style compact frames. I think that means I've got the right size frame for me.

velocodger | 12 years ago
0 likes

Bike racers favor an aero riding style which may not be the best position for recreational cyclists. Race bikes are generally as small as possible, as racers don't need tall head tubes and want the frames to be light and stiff, not necessarily comfortable. Over the years I've gone to a bigger bike. I like the feel of being "between the wheels" that a longer top tube gives me, as opposed to being "over" them. The stems I use are shorter, around 100MM or so. I don't need to put a bunch of dorky looking spacers under my stem, either. A bigger bike means I have a taller head tube, another reason I don't need dorky spacers. To each his own -but- I do believe one's riding setup should reflect the actual riding style, not some fantasy of racing like a Tour rider.

The _Kaner | 12 years ago
0 likes

Double post....

The _Kaner | 12 years ago
0 likes

Started on a 90mm stem (XS frame Ribble- I believe is 44cm/ slope top tube) ended up with a 110mm it
is a lot better. On my Kona(47cm) it's a 90mm stem, seen no reason to change..bar is a wee bit narrow mind you...only 400mm

bikecellar | 12 years ago
0 likes

To further confuse the issue, as you get older you become shorter, I used to be 5ft 9 now 40yrs on I am 5ft 7 1/2 I think it has something to do with one's spine, so that being correct it would be the upper body and reach affected, so by the time I am 100 perhaps I will be riding a bike with a 50mm stem instead of 100mm  7

Gkam84 replied to bikecellar | 12 years ago
0 likes
bikecellar wrote:

To further confuse the issue, as you get older you become shorter, I used to be 5ft 9 now 40yrs on I am 5ft 7 1/2 I think it has something to do with one's spine, so that being correct it would be the upper body and reach affected, so by the time I am 100 perhaps I will be riding a bike with a 50mm stem instead of 100mm  7

God help me then, I'll have to be using back to front stem's, i'm only 27 year, fitted a 110mm but prefer my 40mm

mr_fox replied to bikecellar | 12 years ago
0 likes
bikecellar wrote:

No you won't - you will buy(beg/borrow) a bike that fits with regards to length / stretch . Everyone seems afraid to say, but a road bike with a 50mm or less stem with the geometries and angles involved, must be horrible - 30mm/40mm what?? I am all in favour of the each to their own philosophy, however........

Gkam84 replied to mr_fox | 12 years ago
0 likes
mr_fox wrote:

Everyone seems afraid to say, but a road bike with a 50mm or less stem with the geometries and angles involved, must be horrible - 30mm/40mm what?? I am all in favour of the each to their own philosophy, however........

No-one is afraid to say it, because its untrue.

I'm more than happy with my set up, running a 40mm suits my riding style just fine

bikecellar replied to mr_fox | 12 years ago
0 likes
mr_fox wrote:
bikecellar wrote:

No you won't - you will buy(beg/borrow) a bike that fits with regards to length / stretch . Everyone seems afraid to say, but a road bike with a 50mm or less stem with the geometries and angles involved, must be horrible - 30mm/40mm what?? I am all in favour of the each to their own philosophy, however........

If I am still riding at 100 yrs old I will not give a flying f..k about stem length  3

Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes

For anybody who is interested, I just read on the internet that Mark Cavendish uses a 49cm bike. I thought that was small.

Gkam84 replied to Raleigh | 12 years ago
0 likes
Raleigh wrote:

For anybody who is interested, I just read on the internet that Mark Cavendish uses a 49cm bike. I thought that was small.

Not really, here is a general size guide, bikes vary from manufacturer, so he could be spot on being 5ft 9

50cm 5ft 6 – 5ft 11

Raleigh replied to Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes
Gkam84 wrote:
Raleigh wrote:

Not really, here is a general size guide, bikes vary from manufacturer, so he could be spot on being 5ft 9

50cm 5ft 6 – 5ft 11

My frame is probably too big for me, 55cm, although I think that a lot of other riders the same height as me in the Youth Category A peleton seem to be using the same size. Investigation!

bikecellar | 12 years ago
0 likes

So many variables. Everybody's different, I for example have long legs in proportion to my upperbody and arms, so ride small frames 44cm tcr's and 50cm other bikes, with 110mm stems, saddle setback and handlebar type can also have a part to play some bars have less forward "throw" than others. I prefer Ritchey less throw but a good width on the tops. Not to mention the type of riding engaged in, racing,touring or commuting? Vive la difference.

Mat Brett | 12 years ago
0 likes

130mm usually. 120mm if the top tube is a bit long.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

30mm on a road bike? Or hybrid?

Gkam84 replied to Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes
Super Domestique wrote:

30mm on a road bike? Or hybrid?

Full road bike, drop bars

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just to add some more data:

The stems on my bikes are:

90mm and 110mm

roadracedave | 12 years ago
0 likes

Out of interest, how are you using a 30mm stem, as I thought that the miminum length stem you could have was 30.2mm, and that would be with the bars directly touching the steerer (assuming you are using OS bars with a 1-1/8" steerer), as I believe stems are measured Centre-to-Centre. Is it a custom stem that you are using?

I run a 100mm stem on all my bikes by the way, although about to change one to a 120mm.

Gkam84 replied to roadracedave | 12 years ago
0 likes
roadracedave wrote:

Out of interest, how are you using a 30mm stem, as I thought that the miminum length stem you could have was 30.2mm

My mistake, i was using a custom one, until my accident, its now a 40mm http://www.evanscycles.com/products/truvativ/hussefelt-stem-ec017602

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

various bikes have varying stems, the longest is 110mm and the shortest 80mm

nick_rearden | 12 years ago
0 likes

110mm, just in process of being changed to 100mm. It's my poor old back, see.

notfastenough replied to nick_rearden | 12 years ago
0 likes

To Nick Rearden:
100mm that needs changing to 110mmm for me - wanna swap?!  4

nick_rearden replied to notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

To Nick Rearden:
100mm that needs changing to 110mmm for me - wanna swap?!  4

If it's an old-school 1" quill road stem you're after, you could be on for a deal but I suspect it's a new-fangled direct clampy thing you'll be wanting?

Latest Comments