Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

New Stage Scoring Table Feedback and Wish List

Overall I like the new game design. I just saw the scoring tables and I was a little disappointed that the scoring changed. I kind of liked the straight forward point system at the end of a race, from 20 to 1 points for the stage results. It had a feeling of being 'fair'. Any chance you might consider going back to the old system? Or go 'down'on the points awarded to a max of 25 for the first rider in?

By the way:

1. What does 'Points TBC' mean?
2. Out of curiousity, is the new scoring for the TDU reflective of the actual points in the real race? Is that the way points are awarded during the real race?
3. I wish we could have just 4 domestiques, instead of 5.
4. FOR THREE WEEK RACES: I actually miss the limits based on rider type. I woudn't mind if you could only choose ONE sprinter a day and ONE GC guy a day.

I'll wait and see how it pans out, but I just wanted to get this off my chest. Thanks, though, it's a beautiful design and a fun game!  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

98 comments

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

for discussion: what would people think of a set number of transfers for a tour?

for instance, in the TDF right now everyone's getting... (does maths in head)... 44. i think. 20 stages' worth, with 2 extra on each rest day.

so instead of that maybe just have a set number of transfers, 40 maybe. You can use them whenever you want, and when they're gone, they're gone. no penalty transfers, no resets, no refunds. 40 and that's your lot.

better? worse? not for this year, just thinking about next year.

other changes mentioned above: you'll probably see some of them. nothing's going to change right in the middle of the tour though, sorry, got enough on my plate  22

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

YES, a set number of transfers with no penalty's. Once they are gone thats your lot.....BUT, less that 40, make it a challenge, not just working out 2 per stage.

So 30 might be better, you'll have to pick and choose when to use them and when to stick with your guys.

Hopefully something can change, This TdF has been slightly boring in game and on TV. I don't know if its the lack of much happening in the race thats related to not many people getting involved on the forum's.  39

northstar | 11 years ago
0 likes
Quote:

Personally I like the game as it is, two transfers a day makes you think about every stage and come back to make changes every day. 30-40 transfers for the tour means that in the first week this year everyone would make 4/5 transfers ahead of the first of three sprint stages then leave their teams as they were. Everyone would have a full sprint team instead of some still stuck with TTers etc and there'd be less tactical nous going into planning changes or working the sprinters into your team.

I agree with this, I think it's fine as it is - would it be possible to give people the option of having the normal 2 transfers everyday or take the 40 option at the start of every major tour? Sounds tricky to implement though.

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Personally not keen on the idea of a set number of transfers for a tour - I like the challenge of having to plan ahead and not being able to make wholesale changes to your team.

Plus I have no self-control so would clearly use up all my transfers in the first half of the tour and end up losing interest towards the end when I had no transfers left.

That's my tuppence worth anyways.  1

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you want an alternative to the penalty transfer system how about you scrap it and allow use of up to two future transfers (a'la the inverse of the carry over system)? That way you can use both of tomorrow's transfers today but then be two transfers down with the current idea of the system resetting on rest days being kept (ie can carry forward the -2 transfers until the rest day at which point you can't use future ones)?

My only issue with the game really (other than the very high breakaway points on offer this year, an issue of personal taste more than anything else) is that if you get your selection wrong at the start it's very difficult to overhaul it quick enough to stop yourself falling miles behind. Yes it's your own fault for getting the selection wrong but you're penalised stage after stage until you can change your team en masse. Being able to use something, even a 'wildcard' where you double your transfers in that window would go a long way.

No doubt Gkam will complain about making the game easier and dumbing it down but there's a difference between making the game user friendly and easy, the same applies to reset buttons etc. None of these things gaurantee you points or make it easier to pick a high scoring team (would a reset button have helped you pick Sanchez or Sagan for yesterday?) but should improve the game experience for the user.

0 likes

i guess it's just a different set of problems, then  39

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

agree in part with what you say regarding transfer budgets/rider classes

at one point in the tour i wanted to bring casar in effectively for rogers, casar is more expensive than rogers yet due to the fact that rogers is a star but casar is not, i had to make two chnages just to make the one. I think in that respect it is unfair, if you are having the split, anyone that is cheap enough to be less than a DS shouldnt be a star anyway in my opinion, or vice versa if they are expensive enough to be more expensive than some stars, then they should be star.

however with the prices the way they are now (if they continue to overlap), rather than scrapping the distinction altogther, maybe flexi spots would be better, so maybe you have to have 3 stars, and 4 DS's but then you get 2 spots where the rider can be either a star or a DS

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

I quite like the way everything is at the moment. I am playing the Halfords and the RCUK fantasy games. I think the roadcc one is superior to both.

I think if you were given 40 transfers at once, it would make things more complicated. That's in tune with the 2 previous games I mention.

I think it's a good discipline to only get 2 transfers per night and I like the way that they rollover to 4 if you don't use them.

IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T FIX IT!

The only change I would like to see is I think you should get more than 10 points for most combative rider. Didn't it used to be 40?

chrisdstripes | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agree with the last couple of posts (except the combative rider thing - surely ten is plenty?) - its a great game, its given me hours of fun throughout the year, so no need for major changes, although less star riders and the flexi-spot option might work.

Only thing I would change is what happens if you win anything - maybe I'm sad but I was genuinely excited and pleased when I won a stage (not in a grand tour) - that was then tempered by the fact that nothing happened. I think I've said this before but it might be a nice touch to get an email saying "Well done, you won a stage" - or even just a forum thread where the stage winner is announced each day - I dunno it was just a bit of an anti-climax thats all.

Maybe if premium continues next year then there might be a budget for small prizes for winning each tour? You give away a pair of socks every day on Facebook just for clicking LIKE, but when I won TdS after nine days of, well, nine days of pure luck admittedly, I didn't even get that!  3

0 likes

don't worry, we'll see you right for winning the TdS. jus got our heads full of the tour right now. that and we're in frankfurt looking at the shiny trek bikes  4

0 likes

the problem with automating the winner's emails is that the results often change, sometimes because people get moved about but mostly because of what I think is termed 'operator error'. so we'd be sending them out to all sorts of people. a forum thread is a good idea though

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, I think 10 points for most combative is plenty when you take it in the context of the 15 on offer for the intermediate sprint and sometimes 40+ KoM points on offer, not to mention finish line points if the break stays away.

Flexibility is always good but the games come a long way since even last year where you were restricted to a GC guy, a climber, a sprinter and an all rounder plus 5 DSs. I think rider values are well thought out enough for them to be the only balancing factor for teams (ie scrap the 4/5 split and let us pick freely limited only by what we can afford) but the game as it is works well.

letsgoup | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sorry to say this for a third time but I really really want to be able to have a purist team and a regular team under one account then we can put to bed the issue of multiple accounts (one account per user and anyone not abiding by the rules should be expelled). Rant over  14 . I agree with the comment that budget alone should be enough to limit team selection and that any DS should not cost more than a star rider. Perhaps just tweak the rider values for next season. Last of all I like the idea of a forum thread to announce the winner of any stages/prizes. I felt a little underwhelmed having won a stage and hearing nothing. Its nice to be famous for five minutes and have your name in lighs even if its only an announcement on the forum.  4 As ever great game and love playing it. Thanks Dave and team.

Skibish | 11 years ago
0 likes

Posting here because it relates to 'wish list':
In light of the fantastic women's Olympic road race and various twitter comments about how exciting woman's road cycling is and how deserves wider coverage how possible/easy would it be to introduce a few woman's races into next years game?

drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes

I'd like to see this too but perfectly understand why they aren't featured at the minute. The effort of adding a full extra field of riders, separate to the current rider list, and obtaining information on smaller profile races is dispraportional to the benefit.

We've all seen how difficult it is to get decent information on some of the races just below the top tier (Tour de Suisse, Tour de Pologne, Vuelta y Catalunya etc) and Women's races are generally lower profile than these other than the Giro Donne (and even that's hard to get reliable info for).

I'm sure Dave et al would love to add some Women's races in but I think it's just too much of a hassle.

0 likes

how easy would it be? not easy at all, really. an entirely separate roster and a bunch of new competitions. plus like drheaton says, i'm not sure if we'd get the info we needed in a timely manner.

Gkam84 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The only one's that you can just about rely on getting information on are the one day races, Gent–Wevelgem for instance, BUT, all you'll get at finish line results, you are not going to get breaks and intermediate climbs or anything like that.

Until broadcasters get a deal like they do the men, woman's racing is always going to be left behind........in the kitchen  3

Skibish | 11 years ago
0 likes

Understandable that even if possible from programming point of view practicalities make it unfeasible. Cheers.

TERatcliffe26 | 11 years ago
0 likes

The info for the Giro Donne was pretty decent on cycling news after each stage (albeit a fews hours after). And like Gkam said Gent-Wevelgem was decent but again only with regards to the finish positions.

Cycling fever normally have decent results on afterwards too, due to the fact its a dutch website and the number of womens teams that are dutch.

The other factor is regardless of the info, would enough people know enough about womens cycling to be interested in actually doing a team? in order to make it worth while, i doubt it.

0 likes

it's basically a similar amount of work for a a fraction of the return, so right now it isn't really feasible. that's not to say it won't ever be.

starchild | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lovin the game but have a request...

As a purist can there not be a seperate league for Premium players and those playing 'normal'? It's a bit galling being overtaken by people on tours you are not competing in!

What does anyone else think about this?

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

How about a daily 'captain' for double points?

Stumps | 10 years ago
0 likes

What about a "like" button next to reply and quote. It would stop the masses of cut and paste to read through before you can get to understand what the point was about. Its a bit like the "FB like" button.

ray silvester | 10 years ago
0 likes

I can think of a different word starting in I and ending in C!!

enrique | 10 years ago
0 likes

Dave, I didn't know where to put this, so  39 ...

I think I remember you putting out a list of the riders that had scored the most points from a breakaway, am I right? Or is my brain befuddled? Although I may be right and (!) my brain is befuddled, anyways!  1 Anyways, is that a list you could put out again? Or is there a way to search for that in the metrics you guys already provide?  39 ... Thanks!  1

drheaton replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

for discussion: what would people think of a set number of transfers for a tour?

for instance, in the TDF right now everyone's getting... (does maths in head)... 44. i think. 20 stages' worth, with 2 extra on each rest day.

so instead of that maybe just have a set number of transfers, 40 maybe. You can use them whenever you want, and when they're gone, they're gone. no penalty transfers, no resets, no refunds. 40 and that's your lot.

That's roughly how the Halfords game works (except you get 7 for the week ahead) and I have to say that it's much less involved that the road.cc game and less interesting. The only benefits I can see are

1) potentially simpler for new people coming in
2) less time intensive if you know you don't have to/can't afford to make changes everyday
3) gives you the option to totally overhaul your team if you get it wrong at any point

all those are fine but not really beneficial to the game, 1 & 2 are great for new people but it simplifies the game for existing players and 3 is a blessing in disguise as making transfers early screws you later on.

Personally I like the game as it is, two transfers a day makes you think about every stage and come back to make changes every day. 30-40 transfers for the tour means that in the first week this year everyone would make 4/5 transfers ahead of the first of three sprint stages then leave their teams as they were. Everyone would have a full sprint team instead of some still stuck with TTers etc and there'd be less tactical nous going into planning changes or working the sprinters into your team.

You'd end up with clumps of transfers when the terrain changed and everyone having a team that works instead of people having to plan ahead of time or think through their changes and how they'll affect things down the line. So, in my opinion, it'd make the game easier and less interesting rather than as Gkam said, making it more difficult.

dave_atkinson wrote:

better? worse? not for this year, just thinking about next year.

Where's the idea come from and what exactly are you trying to fix/improve with the change?

dave atkinson replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

My only issue with the game really is that if you get your selection wrong at the start it's very difficult to overhaul it quick enough to stop yourself falling miles behind.

a transfer pot would help with that, no? if you mess up on day one you can commit a bunch of transfers to putting things right, you'd just have less for the rest of the race...

0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:

i guess it's just a different set of problems, then  39

Like you said, it's just another way of running the game. Whatever transfer system is used it'd still have problems and people'd still complain  3

If you're after suggestions for next year though I'd still like to see fantasy jerseys (KoM, Sprint, Combative etc) in the grand tours and maybe some more functionality added to premium membership so it has more to offer than the chance to win a prize and some extra races (which, if the Tour of Poland is anything to go by are crap :evil:). Something like teams of players (9 fantasy teams combined into a team) and a league for these available to premium users only. A built in purist team on your premium account or other options.

dave atkinson replied to drheaton | 11 years ago
0 likes
drheaton wrote:

Where's the idea come from and what exactly are you trying to fix/improve with the change?

just exploring options. there's a whole bunch of ways to run a fantasy game  1

0 likes
dave_atkinson wrote:
drheaton wrote:

My only issue with the game really is that if you get your selection wrong at the start it's very difficult to overhaul it quick enough to stop yourself falling miles behind.

a transfer pot would help with that, no? if you mess up on day one you can commit a bunch of transfers to putting things right, you'd just have less for the rest of the race...

Yes and no, it'd help overhaul your team if you mess up but you'd be severly handicapped later on when we come to changeable terrain or, say this year, the final TT. It all depends on how many transfers we get, at 40+ you could say that there's enough leeway in there for you to make 5/6 catch up transfers and still be able to compete but at 28 (as per Halfords) or 30-35 you're in the position where using 6 to fix your team in the first week plus your normal transfers might limit you for the final TT or the last couple of stages where we go flat - mountains - flat.

It's all down to personal opinion really and while it'd help, how much would depend on how high the transfers are set.

Pages

Latest Comments