Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

HOT FOOT

I have a problem with pain in the balls of my feet.The pain seems to come on after about 50-60 miles,more so if its hot.The pain gets so bad i have to stop take off my shoes and massage the balls of my feet .While i am massaging said balls of feet they feel numb and kind of hard to the touch.Anyone got any advice?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think the pain could relate to nerves in the balls of my feet but not sure.Any one else with advice.

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's the same scenario as the numbness in your hands. There are a multitude of nerves in your feet and anyone of these can get nipped / pressurised and cause numbness / pain / heat in the associated area.

Generally speaking you just have to accept it BUT i've found that rubbing a deep heat type gel into your feet before cycling helps relax the area and cuts out some of the problems.

Hope this helps a little.

VecchioJo | 12 years ago
0 likes

i've had hot-spots caused by the cleat position not being quite right for my foot putting pressure in the wrong part of my sole, a subtle adjustment has cured it, also cleat bolts that are a bit too long and causing a precise pressure point have also encouraged hot-spots, putting a washer under a bolt to space it out or making the bolts shorter has cured the problem

big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks super domestique i have just bought some new Sidi carbon soled shoes so i hope it helps my problem.

Super Domestique replied to big mick | 12 years ago
0 likes
big mick wrote:

Thanks super domestique i have just bought some new Sidi carbon soled shoes so i hope it helps my problem.

No problem. I hope they sort it for you.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've not suffered it myself but have read about 'hotspots' before.

It seems to be associated with the where the 'clip' is and if there is any give/movement in the sole of the shoe then it generates a hotspot on the foot.

Like I say, I haven't felt it before, but the accounts I have read about generally recommend shoes with no flex in order to fix the problem. It was stated that this means the 'whole foot' pedals rather than just the clipped part and therefore avoids the hotspot.

I hope that makes sense.

Perhaps someone on here who has suffered might have other alternatives that can help too.

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Are you using clipless pedals?

Sounds like the infamous 'hotspots' to me.

big mick replied to Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yes i use clipless pedals,look type with float.Can you explain hotspots to me.

Latest Comments