Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Proper Century Chat

Right then, new year, new challenge.

A Proper Century a month for 2012, 12 in 12.

The proposition is as basic as the Metric Century Challenge, just a little harder. You must ride one proper century of 100 of the queen's finest miles a month during 2012. Only single continuous rides of at least 100 miles qualify, not a daily or weekly total of several shorter rides that exceed 100 miles. Tea stops are allowed, nay mandatory.

There will be no prizes as offered in the Metric Century Challenge, just the quiet pride and achievement of having completed 100 cold miserable miles in the rain in February, a lovely proper sweaty century in the height of Summer and then 100 cold miserable miles in the rain in November.

It's all about the challenge, the only reward is having done it, and the fear of the chorus of not angry, just disappointed tutting from those you told you were doing this.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

83 comments

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

January was a strike out due to a hairline fracture in elbow  2 more or less healed up. Aiming for an imperial c before month end. Fingures crossed that it works out  1

VecchioJo | 12 years ago
0 likes

i've had the snuffles since the start of the month, desperately trying to get the legs/lungs up to speed before squeaking one out last minute, that extra day might come in useful

Bez | 12 years ago
0 likes

What's cooking for February, then? Over halfway through the month and no-one's flopped one out...? (Me? Next week, since you asked.)

Bez | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well, seeing as I'm partly responsible for this, I somehow felt obliged to deliver slightly more than strictly required.

So, a metric double.

At night.

http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/ko5drSoco8M

And, if you care to derive some pleasure at my expense, it was fairly miserable. Hadn't had enough sleep in the preceding week; and the cold, damp air took its toll as well. Suffice it to say that it was rather a taller order than happily doing similar distances last summer.

It was also a trial run for a lengthy ride in the dark, and a solo ride spending hours on end staring at a patch of rolling tarmac does, it transpires, send you slightly mad.

Anyway, in the final count it was 127 miles and 2500m of climbing - it just would have been more enjoyable had I not been so cold and tired. But hey. That's January  1

GavinT | 12 years ago
0 likes
Blackhound | 12 years ago
0 likes

Did mine today. Had a cold, got a couple of short rides in before a mtb weekend then picked up an injury 30 seconds into a run. Another week off1 So did 103 miles today. Was slow for most of it and only picked up on last 40km.

VecchioJo | 12 years ago
0 likes

January - done

spiderweb34 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm in too. I presume we're supposed to keep track of them in this thread?

January turned out to be a bit spikier than planned!

January - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/139330378

triplettravel | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well I'm in and already regretting it. January is done:

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/triplettravel/1509fj14n6j422i4

107 miles and since my rules say I can't ride my summer bike in winter this was on my commuter with dynamo and saddle bag. I can feel the rules slipping in February if there is a dry day for the next one. At least I saw no time limit for it so my 7 hours 35 minutes can be ignored.

February done:

http://www.sports-tracker.com/#/workout/triplettravel/fhhl6nf6cfb0dmi0

Not a bad route, only took one wrong turn, well missed a turn as we wer having too much fun going down hill to Goring. Again not fast but there are no prizes for speed and I kept to my no summer bike rule. This time riding my ancient Pearson Tourer. 12 speed when 12 speed meant 6 on the back and 2 on the front. I'm sure I used to be able to handle the friction shifters better but it was still good. Thankful of the mudguards at the end when the heavens opened.

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

@ vecchio - is there a limit on tea breaks and frequency  3 will need to dig out my old computer as some trips involve the ferry LOL!

mr-andrew | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think I'm in. Sounds a bit nerve wracking actually...

themartincox | 12 years ago
0 likes

for those that havent done a century before it really does sound a great deal worse than it is.

I only started cycling about 3 months ago now after a 17 year lay-off.

with some solid consistant riding I did my first century after about 8 weeks ( it helped that I took a wrong turn and did 20 miles more than I planned that night!) my arm was aching a little from a 10 mile incline and I was tired but it really wasnt as bad as I thought it would be.

I went out last week up to the peak district and did 120 miles with about 3 miles of climbing involved and a lot of rain and its just such an enjoyable way to spend 8 hours! ( i dont stop for coffee or cake!)

If you havent done your first century yet then load your pockets up as soon as the weather abates and just climb aboard your steed, and just enjoy a full days adventure

for your first one, just aim for the flattish areas!

enjoy

Blackhound | 12 years ago
0 likes

I had wondered about doing the Audax RRTY which is 200km once a month - I started in December. Doubt I am well enough organised to keep that up so this might suit me better.

Need to get over this cold that means I am yet to ride this year first though.

andyp | 12 years ago
0 likes

100 of the Queen's miles...do the feed stops serve swan?

KirinChris | 11 years ago
0 likes

The spirit is willing but ...

It would be seriously dangerous to even try in Abu Dhabi during summer - cold and rain may be unpleasant but they don't leave you needing an intravenous drip.

Edit: So I didn't get any imperials in July and August as expected, but am back in September.

Aiming to do at least 12 in 12, just not one per month.

Jan 1 125.5 miles (metric double)
Jan 27 108.7 miles
Feb 17 103.8 miles
Feb 24 105 miles
Mar 16 124.9 miles (metric double)
Mar 23 107.2 miles
Apr 27 107 miles
May 18 102 miles (temp 44C - probably the last for a while)
June 1 102 miles (up to 45C now !)
Sep 21 104 miles (first one after summer - only 42C now)

Dean | 12 years ago
0 likes

Of course.

Which hedge are the pork pies hidden under?

:^)

Trek Sal | 12 years ago
0 likes

hmm, even though I'm barely capable of riding half that far, am strangely tempted to give it a shot. (wondering who I could find to join me and jolly me along - or pull me on a bungee - when collapse and weep at the roadside...)

Izaak30 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm in. But not til next year. Is that ok?  20

robert.brady | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm up for it. Never yet done a century (90 miles my current best) but I want to ramp up the mileage this year so it'll be a motivator.

Rob

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Damn, why do you make things so tempting Vecchio? The glory instead of the prize!! Off to do a few route planners!!

themartincox | 12 years ago
0 likes

It seems a little easy to me to be honest - I am in training for lands-end to john o'groats and back and that means at least 1 century every week, stepping up to 5 a week as the events draws closer!

I say make it a 1 per week, there's a challenge!

VecchioJo | 12 years ago
0 likes

well, as it's your idea i wouldn't want you to fall at the first hurdle  1

Bez | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well I suppose I'm obliged to throw my nice white Rouleur cap into the ring, aren't I?  1

Pages

Latest Comments