Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Proper Century Chat

Right then, new year, new challenge.

A Proper Century a month for 2012, 12 in 12.

The proposition is as basic as the Metric Century Challenge, just a little harder. You must ride one proper century of 100 of the queen's finest miles a month during 2012. Only single continuous rides of at least 100 miles qualify, not a daily or weekly total of several shorter rides that exceed 100 miles. Tea stops are allowed, nay mandatory.

There will be no prizes as offered in the Metric Century Challenge, just the quiet pride and achievement of having completed 100 cold miserable miles in the rain in February, a lovely proper sweaty century in the height of Summer and then 100 cold miserable miles in the rain in November.

It's all about the challenge, the only reward is having done it, and the fear of the chorus of not angry, just disappointed tutting from those you told you were doing this.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

83 comments

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

well October was, um, a struggle

a cold at the start of the month well and truly stuck on the lungs for a few weeks and i only managed a couple of quick rides in the last week to see if i'd die

another last day panic, out into the wind, intermittent rain and leafy greasy corners i was pretty much cooked at 50 miles but limped on, it's a good job everyone i know was at work otherwise i'd have called them up to give me a lift home, and also lucky my route wasn't close to any train stations. at about 70 miles i had to stop at the bottom of what you'd struggle to call a climb, which is something i haven't done since i was about 12, where i had to give myself a stern talking to.

at 90 miles my body remembered it was a cyclist, suddenly woke up and we romped home, laughing. weird.

the same route as September, but 50 minutes slower, phoo.

triplettravel | 11 years ago
0 likes

November done. 104 miles of hills including four from the 100climbs book.

Now looking forward to December. Going to need lights.

http://app.strava.com/activities/26804668#

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

another month completely banjaxed by a snuffly cold leading to yet another last-day panic.

luckily it was a beautifully sunny day if a little nippy and GavinT and i teamed up to tick our November boxes.

about a third of the way in we both went down hard on black ice leading to a variety of aches and bruises but we embraced the spirit of Hoogerland and carried on, if a little gingerly round all the corners

just one more to go, what could possibly go wrong..........

0 likes

December done. Decided not to risk the weather getting worse so went for a loop around Surrey and Sussex. It was very cold to start but then warmed up to just be cold.

http://is.gd/9AC1F2

So that is 12 Imperial Centuries in 12 months with at least one in each calendar month.

Thanks for the challenge. When I got home I was definitely not doing this next year but I'm already weakening!

GavinT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep, November done with Jo as above. Lovely ride but I'm a bit damaged from the fall. Hopefully back on the bike soon enough though!
http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/110753205

Well done for being the first to complete the challenge TT.  1

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

December done, wet, windy but thankfully warm for the time of year, which helped.

the ride was definitley helped along by remembering the previous 1100 miles and all the people i'd ridden with, the smiles, and some of the pain.
may have got a bit emotional at one point, thank you everyone.

GavinT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well sadly I fell at the last hurdle.  2
..Or to be exact the second to last hurdle. The crash at the end of november meant I was off the bike for most of the month. I had just started to tentatively ride again when I got a sodding cold. Between these I've just not had the time. I would have liked to have had a go today but the work Nazis insist I come in. Oh well, I've done enough centuries - just none of them in december. I may get out on the 1st for my own satisfaction but it won't count.

0 likes

GavinT you have my sympathies. To have got so far and then not quite make it.

I guess it will have to be 12 in 13 for you!

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

GavinT actually did 13 in 11, which wins on mileage and effort, but also loses on a technicality  22

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

If you count the additional two centuries on one of them then it's 15 in 11  1

Well done, chaps. Annoying that I blew it so early on - I hardly rode after August once all my motivating targets were gone.

Wondering whether I'll be able to find the time for this in 2013 - I suspect I won't, but my arm is twistable. Gavin and I still have a date on the Island...

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

centuries are soooooooo last season, it's all about the Tourist Trophy this year

Blackhound | 11 years ago
0 likes

April done. Felt rough from the start as I did on Good Friday when I was supposed to do this and turned home after 15 miles. Heavy rain down into Hope but came out of the cafe in bright sunshine and eventually picked up climbing Beeley Moor after about 60 miles and ride home was more comfortable.

0 likes

I did April on Good Friday but due to some paranoia spread by the press and the Police about thieves using GPS tracks to find bikes to steal it has taken a while to post the track.

http://app.strava.com/rides/6462156

My first ride to the coast this year.

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

127 in the "April" box for me, please. (A long way off what I'd planned, but helpfully I'd managed not to ride a bike for the last four weeks - bah!)

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

another one sneaked in under the wire on the last day of the month, worth the wait though, especially after the last week or so as the weather was really rather lovely, but the wind made up for it, had to go round the block to clock up the full century  3

GavinT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Yep - out with Jo for a tick in the April box. Perfectly timed, here comes the rain now!  1

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

And now it's May. Time for me and Gavin to start high-rolling  1

0 likes

Got my May one done on Saturday, 188 miles.

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

Chapeau!

0 likes

May done. Cheated slightly as it was part of the South Western Road club's May flier. By the time I had ridden to the start of their 95 mile route and back home again I had nearly 110 miles under my belt.

http://app.strava.com/rides/8444020

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

May done - rode about 63 miles from home to a ~40 mile Help For Heroes ride, and then back again, for 167.5 in total.

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

100.1 miles  1

rode the Wight Riviera Sportive which at 96 miles long seemed a silly distance to stop so tagged an extra 4 miles riding round Yarmouth to make up the distance

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

ride to Spin Up In A Brewery, then ride to Haywards Heath station to get the train up to Clapham for the London To Brighton Night Ride, ride home.

108 miles all in all, not all in one go, but 18 hrs in the same shorts, can i claim a Chamois Century?

GavinT | 11 years ago
0 likes

May: Penzance to Exeter 126 miles. http://www.endomondo.com/workouts/siwV1m8WjBw

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

Gavin and I managed... er.. about 30 hours and a chamois double century in the same shorts at the weekend.

I mean, in our own shorts, each, individually, like. You know. Not *the same* shorts.

GavinT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mm, I was wondering whether to mention that or not!  3

0 likes

June dine on the South Downs.

VecchioJo | 11 years ago
0 likes

100.74 off-road miles along the South Downs Way

would have done the extra couple of miles to complete the whole SDW but it was dark and the clock showed 100.00 about half a mile from where the car was parked just down the hill

Bez | 11 years ago
0 likes

I had Friday off work for my June century, but preparation for Mini Me's birthday party the following day knocked it out.

Curses.

So I'm officially in the broom wagon after just 5 months  2

GavinT | 11 years ago
0 likes

Did the SDW century with Jo - It's a few years since I last rode all of it. I swear it's go longer. And steeper too!

Pages

Latest Comments