Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Bike Winterising Advice required

I have a Planet X Ti Sportive that I'm thinking of winterising 'properly' - I currently have an old Bontrager rear mudguard on it but nothing on the front as there are no mounts on the Planet X fork.

Firstly - Crud RoadRacer2s on the fork I have or proper guards and a new fork? I have Cruds on my commuter (2011 Langster) but they are very tight on that bike and rub constantly - worried that this is a 'feature' of the Cruds. This'd obviously be the cheapest option though...

Secondly - if new fork then which would people recommend? Zenith (from Spa), Kenesis DC07, Deda Black Rain (don't like the decals) or some other?

Thirdly - If long drop brakes required at the front, any experience with Tektro 538, Shimano R650, VO Grand Cru or Van Nicholas VNT brakes out there? I'd be replacing SRAM Apex and want to match or better performance and looks.

Finally - which guards? would appreciate advice from anyone who's used the above forks.

cheers

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

pauldmorgan | 12 years ago
0 likes

@Joe - I've only had it a few weeks but I'm really pleased with it. Comfy AND responsive, it puts a smile on my face every time I go out on it. I like the SRAM double-tap now I'm used to it. The brushed frame and laser etched graphics look very classy.

The service from Planet X was great, I went up there to check the sizing and they built it up and delivered it within a week.

I went for the SRAM Force build - it's about 7.8KG for the Large size with Model C wheels (the Model B's were out of stock and I fancied a few more spokes anyway).

The frame has rack and mudguard fixings so it's very versatile. Shame they don't have a fork with eyelets in their range - they were talking about sourcing one but haven't yet made it an option. The Black Rain is about 200g heavier 'cos it has an alloy steerer.

oldgit | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd just fit Race Blades and be done with it. I use them on my training bike, and I can fit or remove them in seconds before a club run.

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

That sounds like a good deal, hope it does the job for you.

How do you like the ti sportive? I'm toying with a frame upgrade and it's one of the ones on my list

0 likes

Thanks for that Joe.

Lucked out and got myself a no-logos Deda black rain from JMJ Cycles for £52 inc postage through their eBay store (brilliant service, even at xmas it arrived next day).

Fantastically the SRAM Apex brakes go low enough with this fork so long drop brakes not required.

Just need to order the 'guards, a crown race and pluck up the courage to cut the steerer and I'm good to go.

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

Double post deleted

joemmo | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Paul ,

I have the deda black rain fork and would recommend it, the decals don't bother me as the fork is well finished for the price (looks better in the flesh), light and does a good job smoothing out the bumps. With a long drop calliper you still have room for 28c tyres and full guards.

Re guards: I like sks guards personally, not a fan of the crud type.

And finally on the brakes, I have the shimano br450 which are the same calliper as the 650 without the shiny finish. Can't fault the performance though. Have read good things about the tektro r539 although the plating on the bolts on tektro brakes hasn't been great in my previous experience.

joe

0 likes

I'll repost the original post as the 'related stories' box obscures half of it...

I have a Planet X Ti Sportive that I'm thinking of winterising 'properly' - I currently have an old Bontrager rear mudguard on it but nothing on the front as there are no mounts on the Planet X fork.

Firstly - Crud RoadRacer2s on the fork I have or proper guards and a new fork? I have Cruds on my commuter (2011 Langster) but they are very tight on that bike and rub constantly - worried that this is a 'feature' of the Cruds. This'd obviously be the cheapest option though...

Secondly - if new fork then which would people recommend? Zenith (from Spa), Kenesis DC07, Deda Black Rain (don't like the decals) or some other?

Thirdly - If long drop brakes required at the front, any experience with Tektro 538, Shimano R650, VO Grand Cru or Van Nicholas VNT brakes out there? I'd be replacing SRAM Apex and want to match or better performance and looks.

Finally - which guards? would appreciate advice from anyone who's used the above forks.

cheers

Latest Comments