Cyclists Fight Back with Exploding Bike Lock

by scotter   December 20, 2011  

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/cyclists-fight-back-with-exploding-bike-...

12 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

"A bike that has been stolen will be covered in coloured dye (the dye renders the bike undesirable and therefore unsellable )"

Great idea but it seems a bit rock and a hard place to me as you prevent your bike being stolen (for which you could have claimed if insured) but are left with an awful paint job that even Colnago would reject, something you're stuck with and for which you can't claim a penny. Hmm.

Take care,

Steve.

Steve_S_T's picture

posted by Steve_S_T [30 posts]
21st December 2011 - 10:14

like this
Like (0)

Point taken. Most car enthusiasts I know wouldn't want a tracking device on their pride and joy, on the basis that once it's been taken and had the bollocks driven off it, why would they want it back? Rather have the insurance money.

Dodging the saccadic masking

posted by notfastenough [2607 posts]
21st December 2011 - 11:04

like this
Like (0)

I thought you meant exploding as in blew their hands off...otherwise not interested....or is the paint infected with some killer virus?

posted by SideBurn [731 posts]
22nd December 2011 - 22:22

like this
Like (0)

SideBurn wrote:
I thought you meant exploding as in blew their hands off...otherwise not interested....or is the paint infected with some killer virus?

My thoughts exactly, Unless its some sort of land mine style which blows the little c**ts arms off for even trying to nick one of my bikes, then i'll leave it, i dont care for coving some kn*b in paint and having a bike i would never want to use again, could never resell either

BUT then if they came up with a way to take the paint off your frame and leave it undamaged, it wouldn't be long until the thieves could do the same

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8149 posts]
22nd December 2011 - 22:46

like this
Like (0)

What about a device that electro stuns the tea-leaf?

Maybe it could be bult into the saddle Devil

I like my bike but it needs a hidden 25cc motor Smile

Fish_n_Chips's picture

posted by Fish_n_Chips [325 posts]
22nd December 2011 - 23:35

like this
Like (0)

Now thats another idea to consider, build in a fingerprint scanner somewhere on the bars that has to be hit within 10 seconds of the bikes pedals being spun with pressure from the feet, if not it lets off a tazer into your arse Big Grin

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [8149 posts]
23rd December 2011 - 0:00

like this
Like (0)

The tazer idea is great Gkam84...the problem with our ideas is that they may malfunction....

23rd December 2011 - 13:31

like this
Like (0)

In the tazer case this could be quite shocking....

23rd December 2011 - 13:32

like this
Like (0)

...or quite fun

I said that out loud, didn't I?

andylul's picture

posted by andylul [406 posts]
23rd December 2011 - 13:53

like this
Like (0)

Just found one of these

http://www.integratedtrackers.com/GPSTrack/

If the bike gets nicked you could imagine this may be useful information to pass on to the police. Or a couple of big mates - not that I'd recommend this of course.

Pete

PeteH's picture

posted by PeteH [159 posts]
23rd December 2011 - 15:34

like this
Like (0)

interesting thread ....

posted by Karbon Kev [652 posts]
24th October 2012 - 11:04

like this
Like (0)

Great idea Gkam84 a tazer up the arse that will get the little shit!

FATBEGGARONABIKE's picture

posted by FATBEGGARONABIKE [484 posts]
26th October 2012 - 10:13

like this
Like (0)