Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Anyone tried Speedplays?

Interested to hear from owners (reviews).

Like the idea of double sided pedal entry.

Do they clip in/release easily?

Thanks!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

Fish_n_Chips | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hmm seems like a few say they are fiddly to get in/out.

I'm going to do some more research and get some in early January once my bonus is paid!

yenrod | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've had these since January this year - this is my honest opinion:

They're small;

They aren't that easy to get into;

Buy BLACK (as they get dirty);

Get used to being more service friendly to the pedal than a Time etc...;

Lower your saddle when you fit them;

At some Lights the other day & I thought 'they are a total professional pedal' as they are SOO specific in set-up etc...

Cleats are expensive - but lube em up with a Teflon spray & you'll be ok.

Buy a grease gun!

therevokid | 12 years ago
0 likes

they are superb, if a little "entertaining" the first time
you get out of the saddle  1

notfastenough | 12 years ago
0 likes

Super pedals, I really rate my zeros. They were stiff at first, but I simply use a slightly high gear to allow me to exert more pressure in order to clip in.

As an aside, I do wonder if a potential thief would look at them and think "Bollox - I can't pedal on something that small!"

The other thing with the float is that most systems use a spring-based float i.e. the cleat is encouraged to return to a neutral position within the float range, whereas speedplay float is free. This is why some people describe them as like ice-skating at first, but really good once you're accustomed to the feeling.

0 likes

Thanks for the advice!  1

Adam Buckland_ASD | 12 years ago
0 likes

Go for it, Zero's are great. If you only like a few mm of float then just adjust them that way, you don't have to have any if that's the way you prefer..

They are really easy to get in and out of, if there seems too much resistance it is probably that the cleat screws that hold the base plate on are a little too tight and are pinching the spring.

0 likes

I like the idea of dual sided entry (xtr spds on the winter hack)
and I'm always goofing rotating my Look/Ultegra entry
as friends storm away from the lights!

My LBS has some stainless steel slightly more than
mail order but includes a mini bike fit.

I like minimum play in my pedals eg 5 degrees with Keo 2's.

I could turbo with speedplays till they loosen up I guess?

0 likes

Double post lol

carlgrz | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a set of zeros and like them a lot. When they were new it was damned near impossible to clip in or out but after a few hundred km they got a lot easier. Don't even have to think about it now. Double sided entry is great amd lots of ground clearance. If you plan on walking more than 10 yards (like to mix my units) in them then get the coffee shop cleat covers. Shop around as prices seem to vary a lot.

boardmanrider | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a set and I love them: very easy to clip in and out. The large amount of float takes a bit of getting use to but in the end well worth it.

On the plus side they are very light, the downside the cleats are expensive to replace. Yon can on the newer model dial in the position in 2-3 different axises to get that custom fit.

I would recommend them no problem

Latest Comments