Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Boardman Team or Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Veloce

Hello,

I am interested in buying my first serious road bike. I got a budget of 1000 pounds max. I am interested in

Boardman Team

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/road/road_team.html

Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Veloce

http://www.bianchi.it/Uk/Bikes/Bikes_Detail.aspx?ProductIDMaster=60655

I am planning to do 1-2 days of training per week solo and when i get feet I am gonna follow more experienced groups of riders 70-100 kmh. Maybe some amateur racing if I feel like it.

Which of the two bikes is better for it. Bianchi has an issue of wheels from what I read over the net. A nice design, but I do not know if the frame can be fast if I change wheels and tyres

On the other hand Boardman is not Bianchi but it has excellent reviews. Moreover, I am gonna order the Boardman without being able to test it since I do not live in the UK.

What do you suggest? Anyone who has experience of both bikes?

Thanx

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

mpt68 | 12 years ago
0 likes

had my bianchi nirone for a few years now it was my first road bike and the thing that attracted me first was the colour of it.Celeste is just so recognisable

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

I love my boardy. If there's anything that would put me off buying a bianchi, it's celeste green. Hate it.

Fish_n_Chips | 12 years ago
0 likes

The Boardman is better priced.

Can you wait for the Jan sales? Might get better deal?

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

There is one thing I don't understand about Bianchi, though. Why do they make bikes in colours other than celeste? I mean, what's the point? They surely can't sell any?  7

If you do get a Bianchi you do realise you'll need to get full Mercatone Uno kit à la Pantani  4

Super Domestique | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think to some boardman are looked down on due to the halfords connection and that they are thought of as a bike bought by someone making the most of a cycle to work scheme.

That said they are very good bikes. Always get good reviews and are well equipped.

All said and done I think I would personally go with the bianchi though, just 'cause the heart shouts louder in me.

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

I reckon you'll get more bike for your buck out of the Boardman. A friend has been riding one for a couple of years and while I'm constantly looking at new bikes he's perfectly happy with his. We regularly do >100k rides together.

The Via Nirone, sex on wheels by the way in common with most of the Bianchi range, there is definitely something about Italian design... But anyway the Via Nirone is in their C2C range so the geometry will be more comfort than fast. Not a bad thing but sounds like not what you're after if you're saying "I might get into amateur racing". In the Bianchi range the Sempre looks like it may be more appropriate, but of course that comes in at way over £1k.

Have you thought of second-hand? It is a gamble I know but there are genuine riders out there who take care of their bikes and when they look to upgrade their kit will put their old bikes on e.g. eBay. I picked up a Giant TCR Advanced (full carbon plus ultegra groupset) for only £50 over your budget and it is a superb bike. But, as I say, a gamble.

kupepe replied to PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

I do consider using ebay, the only source i know for used items. However, finding one at my size 60-61 and actually liking the bike ... will take time and i am totally tripping for long rides by the sea where i live. Every weekend is a pain watching all those people moving as groups by the sea...  1

I too have the feel that boardman is more of a bike for your money... and the bianchi sexiness as you say ...

Damn it .. that is the exact problem ... mind over heart... damn italians....

James Warrener | 12 years ago
0 likes

I have a 2008 Bianchi and it has been without doubt the best bike I have ever owned and people still drool over it.

charliemac74 | 12 years ago
0 likes

"I am gonna follow more experienced groups of riders 70-100 kmh."

Respect!

kupepe replied to charliemac74 | 12 years ago
0 likes

well ... I am a noob I am currently doing like 40kms 2 times a week ... but who knows ...  3

Latest Comments