Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Prescription cycling specs

Hi all,
I currently wear glasses to correct my vision, and this includes when on my bike. I am a little conscious that wearing my only pair of (rather expensive) glasses while haring down hills at 35mph is probably inviting some undesirable incident. I'm also guessing that they aren't rated for sports use in some safety-related way for which I'd rather not be a guinea-pig.

The (at times) nigh-on biblical hailstone yesterday lunchtime was sneaking past the normal-coverage lenses and stinging my eyelids, which was the last straw.

So:
I figure laser vision correction is overkill. Only a few more years before my eyes would degenerate naturally anyway.

One pair of presciption cycling sunglasses would be good, but the likes of 'transitions' don't go up to my requirements (-6.5 prescription, high index lens of 1.7).

So, it would appear that my best option (unless anyone can suggest anything else) would be cycling sunglasses with prescription inserts and interchangeable coloured lenses for the 'sunglasses' layer. However, I can only seem to find online outlets for this. I know from experience that the amount of minor tweaking required when I get a new pair of specs means that I really need to be on the same premises as the optician for at least a short visit.

I've asked a couple of local opticians if they would be interested in selling me something appropriate, but it seems that the cost barrier of entry to the sports market (bulk orders etc when I am only one customer) combined with the often more demanding (read: more time/effort) needs of the sports user mean that I'm hitting a brick wall.

Anyone know of a bricks and mortar optician in the North-west (I'm in Manchester) with a line in sports specs?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

36 comments

pedalor | 10 years ago
0 likes

There are some in Sheffield, I reckon most independent opticians can do them.i bought mine online,from metro eyewear they are ok, they do the job but are not as clear and sharp as my normal specs.i suppose you get what you pay for.

Pash | 10 years ago
0 likes

I used http://www.extreme-eyewear.co.uk for some Oakley Flak Jackets with photochromatic lenses as Oakley lenses didn't go to my -4 Prescription. I use these every day and have found the lenses this company use to be good.

dede78 replied to ps | 9 years ago
0 likes

Hey!

Which opticians was it in the North East???

Deborah

justinberman | 9 years ago
0 likes

Another recommendation for Optilabs! Have been using mine for about a year, I think the model I have is called Sprint. Compared to the cost of normal single vision glasses or a pair of Oakleys. I think they were pretty good value, around £170 and they were able to fit lenses for my -4.5 & -5.0 prescription.

chrismday replied to notfastenough | 9 years ago
0 likes
notfastenough wrote:

Oh, and regarding rival products, Oakley only go up to -4 or -5 depending on frame shape, Adidas Evil-eye are about the same, as are all others I checked out, while still being similar cost.

I have Adidas Evil-Eye with a prescription insert with about -9 in each eye. Very expensive, but works fine.

pjay | 9 years ago
0 likes

Oakley go to -6 now. I have finally been able to get a pair of racing jackets in my prescription. Very good they are too.

Pages

Latest Comments