new set of road wheels

by usernameforme   December 3, 2011  

hi guys, thinking about getting a new set of wheels for xmas, but there are so many to choose from Confused . so far i've been thinking about going for a set of hand builts (bww blackset race 11) but shimano (rs80) and pro-lite (bracciano) also seem to have a light wheel in my price range. i plan to be using these wheels for everything (not cyclo-cross) and i weigh just under 60kg

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

I am running a set of the shimano RS80 C24's and I'm really pleased with them. You don't say what your budget is so its hard to make any recommendations. If I'd had a bit more to spend I would have definitely gone the handbuilt route. Have a look at wheelsmith.co.uk for some ideas. There is a useful price grid so you can see what different options will cost. Personally I would have gone for the 30mm IRD aero's for around £600.

posted by carlgrz [51 posts]
3rd December 2011 - 9:59

0 Likes

I've had the Bracciano since the spring and they are a great wheel. Cheapest for the weight and I can't fault them.
Dave Hinde has some good deals on involving Ambrosio Zenith hubs which are highly rated.

TheHatter's picture

posted by TheHatter [811 posts]
3rd December 2011 - 16:35

0 Likes

Strongly suggest you Google Dave Hinde's reputation before you buy anything from him - unless you can walk into his shop, see the product and pays your money, you might be in for a wait..
FWIW Ambrosio Zeniths are rebranded Novatec hubs and can be found for significantly less elsewhere.

Make mine an Italian with Campagnolo on the side

posted by monty dog [384 posts]
3rd December 2011 - 19:34

0 Likes

the new issue of cycling plus has a review of some "budget" wheelsets £135 -> £300; don't know what your budget is though.

posted by chiefoldmist [61 posts]
4th December 2011 - 7:17

0 Likes

HI I HAVE A NEW SET OF BLACK KINLIN XR300 WITH BITEX A713SB/RAR13 HUBS AND PILLAR TI 1430 AERO SPOKES IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I COULD TAKE SOME PICTURES MY E-MAIL IS 01STIMPRESSIONS@GOOGLEMAIL.COM TEL 01322 279804 THANKS AND BEST REGARDS DAVID.

posted by protheroe1 [29 posts]
4th December 2011 - 21:03

0 Likes

sorry, budget is $500 Australian

posted by usernameforme [53 posts]
4th December 2011 - 22:14

0 Likes

BRACCIANO all the way..

I brought a light used set back in April and am well happy with them. Mine weigh in at 1480g if I remember rightly and literally help me fly up the hills.

Really well built set of wheels and never had any problems at all. I luckily picked mine up for I think £170 and then replaced the Campy freewheel with a Shimano one, so £200 all in..

Cant say enough good stuff about them.

Me, Myself and I

posted by phax71 [301 posts]
8th December 2011 - 12:47

0 Likes