Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How far do you commute to work (by bike)?

OK, you have to do this regularly, it doesn't count if you have cycled to work once or cycled past your work on a weekend jaunt plus you have to cycle back the same day to where you started from. Also it has to be current, not 'back in the day'. It will be interesting to see if some of us cover the same route but have never met.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

180 comments

PzychotropicMac | 14 years ago
0 likes

I got knocked off my bike returning from work on Tuesday (last week) by a driver who half overtook and then turned left into me. I spoke about it the next day at work (I work in cycle safety and training!) and have been lectured about the need for me to go on bikeability training. Thats coaching for kids on cycle proficiency. I currently cycle 250+miles per week on road...

do you think having a certificate to tell me that I can signal while riding in a straight like will prevent drivers hitting me?

brookn | 14 years ago
0 likes

Hi 15 miles each way trying to go from twice to 3 times a week but depends on the kids taxi requiements and if i have to travel to meetings. Usuallly keep to the road most direct route but especially way home cover most of it on NCR7 north from Balloch for a change. When in London had comutes variously along the Thames Chiswick to Richmomd and Southfields to Westminster via Batersea park, use to stop off and use the keep fit equipment there and once saw Bobby Moore going through a work out. Cycling to work is more fun than being at work.

rodmc | 14 years ago
0 likes

4.5 miles there, 5 miles back, though it is Sawth London so I have more than enough traffic to contend with.

sphide | 14 years ago
0 likes

12 miles each way 4 times a week; Wrexham to Hawarden; mostly quietish roads apart from last two miles near work. Came off on ice last winter so now "ice stops play" but otherwise in all weathers.

takisawa2 | 14 years ago
0 likes

2.7 miles towing the kids trailer to the nursery, drop off the kids & trailer, then 2.7 miles back, literally past the house, & further 0.25 miles in the other direction to work.

Same in reverse at night, obviously. Otherwise I'd just get further from home every day.

Usually take December & Jan off as its a bit too cold for the kids.

simondbarnes | 14 years ago
0 likes

Just under 30 miles each way for me. Do it anywhere between 0 and 4 times a week. Been pretty slack this summer but just getting back into it now. Need to keep the fridge pretty well stocked to cope  1

DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes

20 Well until things change around here, my commuting by bike is coming to an end.  14

Unless someone has a spare Xtracycle...

davee387 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Currently travel 6 miles each way 3 to 4 times per week from Torquay to outskirts of Newton Abbot towards Shaldon. Mainly flat with big hills at each end, good for fitness though.  4

robike | 14 years ago
0 likes

3 miles each way, mostly along the Iffley Road in Oxford. I go past the Roger Bannister commemoration sign and do about the same speed on average - 4 minute miles.

sporran replied to dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

11 miles each way, usually 2 or 3 times a week and take the car the other days - I can actually cycle home along NCN55 quicker than driving on the main road with all the congestion.

Hopevalley | 14 years ago
0 likes

28 miles each way across the Peak Ditsrict - north to south . . at least 3 times a week.

V6matt | 14 years ago
0 likes

.........howdy, folks.

I'm currently 5 miles each way - (slightly more if I use canal towpaths, slightly less if main roads).
Tow paths go past Olympic media centre and main stadium and is lovely in spring and summer.
4 days a week plus what ever I do when cycling between appointments at work (little as 2 miles extra to 20 on some days)
Might get to Hog Hill if my racer ever arrives..............

step.doran | 14 years ago
0 likes

I'm about 10 miles each way from Leith to Ingliston, Edinburgh. Everyone looks at me like I've got two heads when I tell them that.

TheHatter replied to DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes
DaveP wrote:

20 Well until things change around here, my commuting by bike is coming to an end.  14
Unless someone has a spare Xtracycle...

why?

MavicNut | 14 years ago
0 likes

15 miles each day. One massive hill on the way to work certainly wakes me up at 7.15am!!

I try to ride where possible but it really is very dangerous in the dark if im honest!

Really cannot wait until it's light again in the morning and evenings....

Huntensen | 14 years ago
0 likes

4 miles each way, near by every day of the week and twice 10 extra miles each way to downtown.
I prefer country roads and path through parks and narrow roads, as there is less traffic and fewer traffic lights than on main roads

guidob | 14 years ago
0 likes

Isleworth to White City, 10 miles on the way in via Putney bridge and Hammersmith
As the crows flies on the way home 7 miles
Going to start cycling further on the way in as the weather improves, want to get up to about 15 miles... it is fun after all...

niceguysean@gma... | 14 years ago
0 likes

15km each way, from the centre of Milan (yes, Milan, Italy) to Trezzano sul Naviglio. Only 2 days a week at the moment (Tue and Thu), but hopefully will move up to 3 days a week soon.

trevorx | 14 years ago
0 likes

As I sometime drive to London (from Manchester) I take the bike in the boot. However I park at the far end of the carpark and ride into the office via a 22 mile excursion.....

effemm | 14 years ago
0 likes

North-west Edinburgh to Edinburgh Park on the western fringes. Every working day come rain, shine, wind and high water (usually all on the same day ha ha ha). En route, I tow the kids (in the trailer) to their Grandma's on Wednesdays.

Workward route varies depending on weather/mood/bike, but anything from 5 miles (via 40mph dual carriageway) thru 9 miles (on cycle paths and quiet streets) to my summer maximum of 26 miles on rural roads. Sometimes over Corstorphine hill on knobbly tyres. Generally speaking I arrive at work and just want to keep going.

Homeward journey tends to be more mixed/direct/hurried, to make sure I'm home for the kiddies' bedtime. 5-7 miles on a variety of trunk and suburban roads. I miss the post-work rides in the Pentland hills on warm summer evenings.

I wish I could say it keeps me lean and fit. In fact, it lets me eat and drink too much without getting *too* house-sized.

SinglespeedJarv | 14 years ago
0 likes

Once a week, 38miles each way in 2 and a quarter hours. But I cheat and break it up overnight. It's harder going to work as there are 5 climbs steeper than 10% in the first 10 miles and another of 14% before halfway. Haven't done it for months due to a back injury, so when I start again it will take me 2.5hrs and break my spirit.

It is highly unlikely I will pass anyone else.

Jonty79 | 14 years ago
0 likes

At the moment only about 5 miles each way normally! However I often have to work in other offices. One will mean a 25 mile each way & the other a 45 mile each way route (great for my sportive training - staying awake at work is another issue!!). Certainly not every day, and just waiting for the days to get a bit longer!!!

georgiesgirl | 14 years ago
0 likes

I cycle 14 miles each way 3 times a week.So pretty small although you men are clearly built for it. You have got one up on us ladies. less fat!

richardelliott | 14 years ago
0 likes

Four miles each way West London to Covent Gdn. Feeling a bit conspicuous at present as post the theft of an old wolf in sheep's clothing of bike the very new looking replacement just hasn't acquired any soul or personality or whatever it is that old loved bikes get.

PieG59 | 14 years ago
0 likes

I have cycled the 5 miles each way to work and back for the last 10 years on my trusty Dutch Sparta. Some days I do an extra 5-15 miles on top of that, depending on appointments etc. I normally use the car for about 20% of all journeys but for the next 6 weeks will be totally bike-dependent(I live in the countryside with 2 teenagers).
I am now addicted to my half-hour dose of fresh air and exercise in the morning and feel deprived when I don't get it.

bicycle bob | 14 years ago
0 likes

with my new job I am doing 10miles each way, Balham to Canary Wharf via Tower bridge (I haven't braved the Rotherhithe tunnel yet). It seems to be a competitive route. Time to clip in and get serious!

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

have moved offices at SGC now, working 2km closer to home but as the weather is nice I have made my commute all scenic! Up through Pucklechurch, round the back of Yate...30km each way now! Lovely

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

our new office has extended the commute too! 4.5 miles on the shortest run but my fave is down to Monkton Combe, up Winsley hill and in through Conkwell, about 10 miles. luvverly.

Timull | 14 years ago
0 likes

6 miles each way - islington to High St Kensignton!

Zaskar | 13 years ago
0 likes

7 miles on the heaviest hack bike ever and carrying panniers and Schwalbe marathon plus, a few good hills too.

Good workout too stomping up a few climbs.

Lets me keep up when riding with friends on weekends but using the roadbike then.

Thing is I'm changing jobs and will miss this short blast-some on road, some on light gravel track, singltrack and back on road.

It does have this really long walking speed hill (6mins at least) rest of the commute is not as hilly and takes 22 mins.

Pages

Latest Comments