Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

How far do you commute to work (by bike)?

OK, you have to do this regularly, it doesn't count if you have cycled to work once or cycled past your work on a weekend jaunt plus you have to cycle back the same day to where you started from. Also it has to be current, not 'back in the day'. It will be interesting to see if some of us cover the same route but have never met.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

180 comments

TwiggyHo | 14 years ago
0 likes

as soon as I can afford a folding bike Im going to be riding it 3 miles each way to temple meads station and then a return journey from wherever I need to go to my office and back (my work base changes daily)

sleepy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I do about 5 miles each way 3 times a week. Yesterday I took a 30 mile wrong turn on the way home!
I alternate between road bike and hard tail.

tommyketchup | 14 years ago
0 likes

I do the cycle route 66/69, if I am feeling lucky, on the way home, which is 13 miles, and do a train/bike journey to work which is uphill about 2.5 miles.

Once I am fit nuff, then its a 25 mile round trip along hilly huddersfield/dewsbury/ossett.

BlackDog | 14 years ago
0 likes

I commute by bike from Kilmarnock to Glasgow which is 20 miles each way. Normally do it 4 times a week as I usually work from home 1 day. Usually do it on my own but occasionally meet people in summer, never see anyone else in winter though.

Flo K | 14 years ago
0 likes

16 mile round trip; the best time of the day as well as being with my family.

andrewfurlow | 14 years ago
0 likes

5 miles each way, e2 to n7, every day unless I run it instead. keep wishing I had further to ride every day, can never quite get up early enough to take the scenic route...

Jonathan | 14 years ago
0 likes

Six miles each way from Hazelbank to the centre of Belfast. Everyday. Unless I take in Cave Hill on the Mtbike. That is about thirteen miles. Good days on the KTM (or Marin Wolfridge) and bad days on the On-One Inbred SS.

I hate driving.

rebel9307 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Twenty mile round trip every day, all year round. Bike used depends on which shift, type of weather, time of year. Work six days on, three rest days. On rest days, usually out on the road bike every day. Also just started in a mtb club, after 40 years being a dedicated 'roadie'.....

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

My office is 16 miles away and that includes a section of dual carriageway so I'm afraid I generally either take the train (and cycle across the park to the station) or use my motorbike. I used to commute 10 miles across London to my old job and getting their by bicycle was quicker than taking the tue or using the motorbike I had then.

guidob | 14 years ago
0 likes

8 miles in, 7 miles home, although there are various routes to combat boredom, my Tuesday evening route home is 14 miles and takes in Fulham, Richmomd Park and Twickenham...

Starts in Isleworth and ends in White City...

chuckdevee replied to the-daily-ripper | 14 years ago
0 likes

have just started cycling in to the City.. using the train to Waterloo but I'd like to try the whole distance.. would it be possible to tell me what route you take in please.. thanks

TRs Blurb n Blog | 14 years ago
0 likes

The London Cycling Campaign (LCC) have free maps highlighting safe cycle routes through the city. Get them from here.
http://www.lcc.org.uk/index.asp?PageID=37

Morgan | 14 years ago
0 likes

10 miles a day, five days a week... plus Flatland when I can! Mainly country roads, with a nice sprinkling of city traffic nearer work... I love playing with the traffic!

Simon E | 14 years ago
0 likes

8 miles each way through the Shrewsbury or or 10 round the (much nicer) country lanes. I wimp out if it's raining hard, only skipped two of the really icy days last winter.

The traffic on the town route is not cycle-friendly, there are a significant number of drivers who just can't bear to wait 20 seconds behind a bicycle (and then slow up behind a car a few yards further on).

CrispyDuck replied to chuckdevee | 14 years ago
0 likes

Where are traveling from?

bikerboy_Las Cruces | 14 years ago
0 likes

My commute is 48.3 miles R/T with a 1650' climb in both directions (Total a little over 3300'/day). Total commute time R/T is usually about 3 hours. I ride this 2-3 days a week. I LOVE IT!!!

TRs Blurb n Blog replied to bikerboy_Las Cruces | 14 years ago
0 likes
bikerboy_Las Cruces wrote:

My commute is 48.3 miles R/T with a 1650' climb in both directions (Total a little over 3300'/day). Total commute time R/T is usually about 3 hours. I ride this 2-3 days a week. I LOVE IT!!!

Is that in New Mexico?

bikerboy_Las Cruces | 14 years ago
0 likes

Yes it is! Beautiful riding weather about 350 days a year. Right now it's raining cats and dogs!! But still a beautiful place.

5milestogo | 14 years ago
0 likes

18m each way 3 or4 times a week. Would like to try 5 a week (like my veg) but come Friday either bike or I am knackered! Surbiton - Richmond Pk - Putney - Kings Rd - Embankment - Meat Market - Islington although sometimes do the return on the South Bank alongside Festival Hall if the traffic from Blackfriars is chocca. Early doors is the best bet otherwise you run the risk of the heavy commuter traffic from Putney. Anyone had experiences re mobile bike servicing? Used BikeADE a couple of times - very good and economical and come to your office - a new shop Mend-a-bike has sprung up near Putney - think I might look at them for on the fly repairs - any experiences here?
Howabout bike models - am on an old Trek SU300 which is on last legs - I reckon road bikes are too fragile for me - looking for a 'long fast rider' - suggestions welcome!

markygee | 14 years ago
0 likes

I ride 10 miles (including some serious hills  2 ) into Winchester, get on the train to London and then do another 2 miles to the office. Same on the way home.

If I'm feeling knackered or time is tight, I can take a shorter 7 mmile ride to Eastleigh which is mostly flat / downhill.  37

Trying to do this 4-5 times a week. Have covered around 500 miles already since starting this in April. Meeting some other keen cyclists on the train. Might look at some sportive events next year.

pandeiro | 14 years ago
0 likes

Around five miles each way for me, 1 mile thru' a housing estate, then nice country lanes the rest. I do this 5 days a week, some days I go a longer way round, depending on my finish time and the weather. I have been known to do 40 miles home on occasion!(very understanding mrs) Dinner's in the microwave!  3

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

I now commute about 20km each way so about 1 and a half hours of riding (due to bristols lovely rush hour traffic) per day.

canyonsi | 14 years ago
0 likes

approx 18 miles each way, on average 4 days a week, no shower at week though so a "wet wipe" wash to keep co workers happy!

various routes Staffs / South Derbyshire area.

oh, "Hi" i guess as first post

cheer

si

stuke | 14 years ago
0 likes

At least 32 miles a day, 5 days a week from Westbury to Devizes. The traffic is terrible in Devizes so I'm only 10 minutes slower by bike than car  1

manonabike | 14 years ago
0 likes

3 miles each way on my big cogged fixie, cycle it 3 times a week and run the other 2.

jsb | 14 years ago
0 likes

13.5 miles each way - in and out of Cambridge.
Do it 4 days out of 5 each week (at the moment).
Wait & see whether I can keep this up through the winter!

big shug | 14 years ago
0 likes

22 and 18m each way; about 3x a week. Fantastic for base fitness and weight loss. I'm up in the Scottish Borders and the biggest dangers are gravel after heavy rains, horse and cow sh1t (have the scars to prove it) and spooking deer by the side of the road.
More people cycling in the office recently so I'm not the only one mincing about in cleats and lycra. So far this year have remembered underwear everyday - no white sports socks with work suit or going commando.
Days are getting shorter so will soon switch to MTB rig with tons of lights on the front.

Timbo13 | 14 years ago
0 likes

Manchester-based, I commute from Flixton to the city centre each day. 7.5 miles in, hitting Chester Road in Stretford and following it all the way in. Slightly longer on the return, turning off into Trafford Park at White City Retail Park.

Five days a week, every week. Vitus 979 until the dead of winter, then the MTB and the long trousers come out.

graemeg52 | 14 years ago
0 likes

13 miles each way 5 days a week, except for on call weekends which makes it 12 days in a row Torrance to Gartnavel Gen Hosp.

sweeney | 14 years ago
0 likes

I've recently started to commute around 13 miles each way from Chorlton in South Manchester to Oldham.

The route is resolutely uninspiring (with Oldham Road being a particular low point!) and uphill most of the way in the morning (not the best for an early start), but it still beats driving in rush hour traffic hands down!

Pages

Latest Comments