Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Paris-Roubaix Challenge - cobbled roads in the UK?

Last week I accidentally entered the Paris-Roubaix Challenge - a mere 90 miles of mud and cobbles next April.

So now I’m looking for cobbled roads in the UK to do a bit of training on - and to get a feel for the bumps. Anyone got any suggestions? I’m based in the Southwest, looking in the region roughly bordered by Bristol, Gloucester, Swindon, Salisbury, Shaftsbury, Radstock.

I know about some of the cobbled hills in central Bristol, the Cobble Wobble hill in Frome, Gold Hill in Shaftsbury, but ideally I’m looking for longish flattish sections of cobbles. (And I know British cobbles aren’t the same as French pave', but you’ve got to start somewhere…)

Any suggestions for cobbled roads, or maybe just rutted roads that replicate pave', much appreciated. Thanks.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

46 comments

mattsccm | 12 years ago
0 likes

When I say gravel I mean stuff thats 3 or 4 inches across and hard packed. If I can I'll find some grid refs.

Rob Simmonds | 12 years ago
0 likes

*coff*  26
http://road.cc/content/feature/34113-good-vibrations-ronde-de-vlaanderen...

I can't think of anywhere that would accurately replicate the EVIL CHUNKS OV STONEY DETH that cover the P-R route, although a turn around the cathedral close in Exeter would be pretty close. Not in your patch though and the tourists might comment. You might like to try some rough off-road bridleways, that might be reasonably close.

Mat Brett | 12 years ago
0 likes

David, it's not in any way cobbled but there's a perimeter road around much of the Salisbury Plain military area. It goes on for miles and miles and it's rough. It's good training for cobbles. Just make sure the red flag isn't flying or you might cop a stray bullet.

Simon_MacMichael replied to Mat Brett | 12 years ago
0 likes
Mat Brett wrote:

David, it's not in any way cobbled but there's a perimeter road around much of the Salisbury Plain military area. It goes on for miles and miles and it's rough. It's good training for cobbles. Just make sure the red flag isn't flying or you might cop a stray bullet.

Yeah, 20-odd years ago you'd definitely have been advised to steer clear when I was on the range  3

Mat's obviously too modest to mention it but you'll also want to read his experience of hitting the Paris-Roubaix cobbles with Team Sky earlier this year.

http://road.cc/content/blog/34295-hitting-paris-roubaix-pav%C3%A9-team-sky

David Else | 12 years ago
0 likes

This is great stuff, guys.

@giff77 - when you say ‘up here’, where do you mean? I used to ride in the Derbyshire/Yorkshire/Cheshire area and still often venture back to those regions.

@mattsccm - the Forest of Dean is certainly within striking distance. Gravel roads are a different beast, and not really the right prep for Paris-Roubaix, I think, but those stretches of rough rock sound like they might be something like. Can you provide any more pointers on locations?

@Fringe - thanks for the link. It’s making me feel so much better. Especially the picture of the bleeding hands.

giff77 replied to David Else | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm in Paisley, Scotland. The Campsies, Trossachs are within an hour cycle of me. Some of my local routes going into Ayrshire and Inverclyde are pretty much beat up once you get off the A and B roads. The various councils are pretty reluctant to repair  19

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

have you read the cycling inquisition blog post about riding the cobbles. funny stuff.

http://www.cyclinginquisition.com/2010/04/paris-roubaix-race-ride-and-er...

mattsccm | 12 years ago
0 likes

I doubt there are many worthwhile cobbled sections of roads left. Why not bring the bike across the river. Many of the graveled tracks in the Forest of Dean have got large stones as a base. As the gravel has worn away over the years you can find long stretches of solid but rough rock. Riding them is definitly an aquired taste and skill on a road/cx bike.

David Else | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks guys. Keep 'em coming. Much appreciated.

As part of my research, today I went along the canal path east of Bath. Usually, I seek the smoothest course by weaving around and avoiding the rough stony sections. Today I just charged across the top of the stones in my biggest gear. Nowhere near as bad as French cobbles, of course, but a taste of things to come...

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Shame you didn't live up where I am, there's a few unclassified roads I get to use that the surface is totally beat up. I get to cover climbs, flats and decents on these, getting a bit hairy in places and still no signs of resurfacing,  4 but sure sorts out the arms  3

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just thinking... if you can identify any old tracks leading to farms near you that haven't had a fresh coat of tarmac in decades, that might help you. Likely to be nice and quiet too.

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

Try any of the inner city roads in England, there are so many pot holes it feels like cobbles.  19

Only joking, there's none i'm aware of in the North East but if you've got a mountain bike some of the forest trails are good to try in the winter as they get quite rutted. Whatever you try good luck with the race !

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

Long Drove just of the A39 near glastonbury isn't cobbles as such but is very beaten up tarmac and benefits from very little traffic. one of my favorites in the winter (gets muddy too).  4

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Not near you, but incorporating the cobbled Rotherhithe High Street into my daily commute back when I worked in London did wonders for my balance as well as keeping my arms nice and toned  3

rbx replied to Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hi Simon, could you share where exactly in Rotherhithe are these cobbles? Any other areas in/around London with cobbles are also welcome.

Thanks!

monty dog | 12 years ago
0 likes

The only tracks that I know that are rough enough to simulate P-RX are some of the Southdowns Way where the tracks are essentially fist-sized loose flints - I've not found any paved tracks that are rough enough. Blasting around forestry fire roads on my old road bike was good practise for L'Eroica though.
To develop your strength, try riding a slight gradient whilst seated well back in the saddle on the biggest gear you can muster - focus on getting the power down through the quads whilst gripping the tops of the bars. Most people find the pave hardest on their arms and wrists, followed by their backside - if you develop the quad and arm power you can drive the pedals whilst keeping your ar$e slightly off the saddle and cushion yourself slightly from the pain.
Also, if you hit potholes square-on, it'll simulate some of the impact and jarring!

Pages

Latest Comments