Home

Is such a thing possible? Just the idea popped into my head. Would it take just a bit of fiddling with the front mech, or, a re designed front mech cage?

9 comments

SideBurn [890 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

One question....Why?

Fringe [1047 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

think the maximum is a step up of 16, hence 34/50..but give it a go if you've got the parts..

the_mikey [162 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Use a long cage MTB derailleur or anything that works with a triple, those can handle 30/39/52, 53/34 isn't so outlandish.

Simon E [2774 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

A 19-tooth shift? Eek!

Not sure you'd find two compatible chainrings, as BCD (bolt diameter) would differ. Have a look at SJS Cycles' website stock, they list lots of chainrings.

Or run 53/39 with a wider spaced cassette e.g. the new SRAM Apex?

Cooks [491 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

No real reason other than it just popped into my head. I guess the 19tooth shift part would be the kicker...

SideBurn [890 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Or to embelish my negative sounding 'Why?' I have a Campagnolo Chorus triple 53,42,30 on my Cyclo cross bike with a standard Campagnolo Record titanium front changer and a Campagnolo rear mech. This works well...I do not understand what you would achieve with such a big difference between two rings. The triple allows me to fly up and down hills...result!I think the big difference between two cogs will cause problems  39

Tony Farrelly [2869 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

yes I used to have a Dura Ace racing triple with the same 53 42 30 set up, it was great… shame it about the Octalink bit though.

Winton [67 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I know they're not for everyone but Rotor do a 52/36 set f Q Rings with BCD110. I've always thought them a good compromise.

Simon E [2774 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

According to CTT gear table

53x12 = 117.4"
50x12 = 110.7"

I can't see it's worth the bother.

And if you think you need a 11-tooth small cog on your cassette you should call Dave Brailsford  3