Home

Can anyone recommend a good single speed frame which I could run with mudguards and a light weight rack. Ideally just the frameset.

I can see a Ridgeback Solo reviewed here but I can't seem to buy one.

I keep looking at touring/audax frames but can't find one I can run as ss.

I'm fed up with getting soaked, I know, I'm soft!!!!

20 comments

Avatar
Littlehuan [46 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Got there first- just what I was about to say! But while you were typing I was grabbing a link- to the pompino cos I'm a cheapskate http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOP/on_one_pompino_frame

Avatar
pixelmix [20 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

On One Pompetamine frame?

Not light, but cheapish and SS-able (but you'll need a 135mm spaced wheel and disc brakes).

Pompino would probably work too if you prefer cantis (in particular the newest version has more room, so should fit reasonable sized tyres and guards).

Avatar
dave atkinson [6208 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
Avatar
nick_rearden [436 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Tokyo Fixed do Dream Machine frame and fork for £450: http://road.cc/content/news/47184-new-house-frames-tokyo-fixed-one-youd-...

Avatar
Rob Simmonds [251 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Bear in mind that the Pompetamine has rear facing track ends - a pain in the bum if you want proper mudguards.

The Singular Peregrine (iirc) has an eccentric BB, a much better solution.

Avatar
Fringe [1047 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

the Condor Tempo is a single speed version of their Fratello, or Salsa do the Casseroll that you can run as a single speed or geared, both take proper mudguards.

Avatar
Pru [5 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Trek's district single speeds have a good system for mounting mudguards. The eyelets move with the wheel when you tension the chain.

I have a Trek 2nd District with SKS Chromoplastic mudguards (don't have a rack yet) it works well.

Avatar
Gepin [59 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Why buy new? Plenty of perfectly good frames out there crying out to be put back into regular use...

Avatar
onandon [3 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Why buy new? I'm riding an old carbolite Pug which is too big and it took 3 months to find that. Would love something old but where do I look? ebay? Any advice welcome man.

Avatar
onandon [3 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Why buy new? I'm riding an old carbolite Pug which is too big and it took 3 months to find that. Would love something old but where do I look? ebay? Any advice welcome man.

Avatar
Gepin [59 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
onandon wrote:

Why buy new? I'm riding an old carbolite Pug which is too big and it took 3 months to find that. Would love something old but where do I look? ebay? Any advice welcome man.

E-Bay/Retrobike/RoadCC Classifieds/Freecycle. Bound to be a kind soul on here with a frame your size kicking about doing nowt that they are willing to sell, stick up a wanted post.

Avatar
onandon [3 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Will give them a try...and thanks for the other advice guys, some new frames I've not seen before there.

Freecycle have really strong views about not allowing "Wanted" ads for bikes. I got the Pug from Freecycle and you'd have thought it was made of gold!!!

Avatar
dave atkinson [6208 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
onandon wrote:

Freecycle have really strong views about not allowing "Wanted" ads for bikes.

our local freecycle group carries them regularly enough...  22

you could try a local bike jumble too if you have one?

Avatar
hirsthirst [25 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

I've bought a few 70s "racers" from eBay for £50-ish, passed on the parts I didnt want to keep, and then enjoyed spending three times over on single speed bits, bars, stems, bags, bells, Brooks etc.

try singlespeedcomponents, freshtripe, tokyofixed & velosolo websites for supplies & inspiration.

Avatar
bfslxo [144 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

there is no hassle putting full permanent mudguards on the On One pompino

Avatar
Pentti [8 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

Surly Cross Check. Can be built with or without gears.

Avatar
Rob Simmonds [251 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
bfslxo wrote:

there is no hassle putting full permanent mudguards on the On One pompino

Out of interest, how did you do it?

Avatar
bfslxo [144 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
Rob Simmonds wrote:
bfslxo wrote:

there is no hassle putting full permanent mudguards on the On One pompino

Out of interest, how did you do it?

Hi Rob,
in fairness it was not myself that done this it is a colleague of mine who uses it for commuting over 38 miles a day - got this info of him

Yea, pompino.
As far as mudguards go, it is cavernous!
I have full guards and 28c tires on underneath.
SKS Bluemel olpympic guards.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33154

It has 120mm track spacing on the back which makes for a nicer wheel, but limits your hub choices.

let me know if u needed a bit of guidance on it I'm sure I could put u in touch with him

Avatar
Rob Simmonds [251 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes
bfslxo wrote:
Rob Simmonds wrote:
bfslxo wrote:

there is no hassle putting full permanent mudguards on the On One pompino

Out of interest, how did you do it?

Hi Rob,
in fairness it was not myself that done this it is a colleague of mine who uses it for commuting over 38 miles a day - got this info of him

Yea, pompino.
As far as mudguards go, it is cavernous!
I have full guards and 28c tires on underneath.
SKS Bluemel olpympic guards.
http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33154

It has 120mm track spacing on the back which makes for a nicer wheel, but limits your hub choices.

let me know if u needed a bit of guidance on it I'm sure I could put u in touch with him

Um, thanks, but that doesn't actually address the problem, which is how do you get the wheel out? Full length guards will get in the way unless you have some cunning bodgearound.

Avatar
angusrivers [2 posts] 4 years ago
0 likes

A little late on this, but in case it helps someone. The bodge is to fit SKS secu clips to the rear mudguard stays instead (or as well, if you buy some extras - St John Street have them for a princely £1.01). Then you just pop out the stay to change the wheel.