Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

Lord Nelson Lemon Tea Drink v Isotonic Drink

Lord Nelson Lemon Tea Drink from Lidl (£1.19) has the same energy value as an isotonic drink from Holland and Barrett (£7.49). It also includes some caffeine (black tea extracts) and vitamin c. Would the lemon drink from Lidl be any good to use in my drink bottle?  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

9 comments

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

used to love as a kid pinching a jelly cube out of the bowl, before mum poured the water in!

There's also a made-up lemon ice tea from Lidl which is rather good, but haven't used it riding.

Blackhound | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yes, jelly is a good one. First used it 25+ years ago and take it on long trips. Cheap as well.

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

jelly cubes, thats a genius idea!  4

gonna try me some of them...

bashthebox | 12 years ago
0 likes

I reckon that makes perfect sense.

I've given up on the pre-mixed energy drinks and now measure out glucose powder with fructose sugar and ribena for flavour.

As for energy gels - discovered that jelly cubes actually contain more carbohydrates per weight and have that same fructose/glucose mix. And taste much better. Surprisingly easy to eat too - much better than shot blox, for example.

Still carry a zipvit energy bar with me - sometimes your stomach just gets too empty.

Mrdowen | 12 years ago
0 likes

Chris Carmichael in his book "Time Crushed Cyclist" says that he drinks Lipton Ice Tea as an "emergency food" when he's ran out of sports drinks. If Lipton is good enough for Chris then Lidl is good enough for me!

Mrdowen | 12 years ago
0 likes

I mixed 10 teaspoons of the lemon tea granuals with 500ml of water and used this in my bottle. It tasted nice and sweet and I felt good after an hour and a half of cycling this morning. I drank around 800ml on my ride. A lot nicer than water and not as expensive as isotonic drinks.

I'll use it again.

Fringe | 12 years ago
0 likes

as above. giv it a go.. in the last few years ive tried many 'sports' drinks, shop bought and homemade as well as plain water, juice and water, ribena etc etc.. and my conclusion... hmm well i reckon on short rides (3hrs or less) water is fine with one or two bars/flapjacks/bananas. on longer rides a 'sports' drink means you don't need to try and cram as many bars/gels/cake/flapjack/bananas etc etc into jersey pockets as they provide a good source of carbohydrate..

anyhow i'm off down lidl tomorrow to get some and see whatits like myself.  4

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

gotta be worth a go. let us know how you get on!

Izaak30 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Yes.
No.
Er sorry I don't know  14
Guess you haven't tried it yet then.... But on face of it I'd have thought it would have a similar "performance"
Interested to know what results are

Latest Comments