Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pins and needles

Ever since I got my first pair of road shoes a couple of years ago I've had a problem with pins and needles/numbness in my toes. It's generally noticeable after about 20 minutes and takes a few minutes to stop after I get off the bike.

I assume it's to do with the fit of the shoes, but not sure in which way. They feel perfectly comfortable both on and off the bike.

I'm guessing the ultimate solution will be a new pair of shoes (which I don't mind, but the wife may take issue with!) but I don't particularly want to buy a new pair which feel comfortable in the shop only to get the same problem again. Any suggestions?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

monty dog | 12 years ago
0 likes

They sound too tight - maybe try a thinner sock or insole?

nellybuck@msn.com | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the input all. They are a pair of carbon soled Specialized, fitted with Look Keo cleats. I have a pair of MTB shoes which I use for commuting/MTBing and don't have any problems with them.

I'll have a play around with loosening them/fiddling with the cleat position before consigning them to the bin.

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

I tend to get numb feet from most stiff-soled road shoes so i just wear MTB shoes instead. I use SPDs anyway so it doesn't make much odds. But there's a bunch of things that could be causing it. ill-fitting shoes is one, as is the cleat position, or the position of your saddle relative to the pedals. or a combination of factors.

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

you say your first pair of road shoes, they your first pair of cycling shoes though? Do you have any MTB shoes for instance and do you have any problems with them?

Stevie B | 12 years ago
0 likes

when you've taken your shoes off is there evidence of redness either across your instep or below your ankle ? This could indicate a poor fit.
not knowing the make and model of shoe I would suggest that you don't tighten the shoe as tight as you normally do , slacken it off as your feet will naturally swell during the ride, try some commense measures such as loosening the shoe a little during the ride to discover if the 20min pins and needles disappear.

Latest Comments