Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Any reason not to go 10speed?

As title really. I am debating whether to go ten speed for my new project. Have had 9 speed on the old one and it has been bomb proof despite a pretty neglectful cleaning schedule.
Was going to go 9 speed but don't want the shifter windows on the tiagra shifters and was considering a mixture of tiagra 10speed and 105 shifters.
What is the longevity of 10 speed stuff like? Or am I better off with the older 9 speed stuff which I know to be very tough?

Thnks for your thoughts.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

singlespeedan | 12 years ago
0 likes

UNless something drastic happens I think that by the time I come to replace a significant part of the drive train I would have thought ten speed would be coming down a b it in price. Or being properly superseded by 11

usernameforme | 12 years ago
0 likes

with my experience, you only need to replace the shifters, the chain and the cassette all to 10 speed. there is no need to replace the derailleur (my config: Tiagra 4500 derailleurs with R700 shifters, 5600 cassette, 5600 chain) if you want to stick to nine speed but want better (10speed) shifters, you can use an alternate cable route, (sheldon brown, dura ace 7,8,9,10 speed conversions). hope this helps  1 (sorry about this being a bit off topic)

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

if considering 10-speed then why not be daring and consider 11?

Alternatively, I've run 10-speed 105 and 10-speed ultegra. Would highly recommend both.

the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes

I use both 10 speed 105 and old 9 speed tiagra, no real issues with either of them, only difference that I can tell is the cost of replacement parts, 9 speed parts are significantly cheaper, but if that's not your concern then go for 10 speed!

Simon E replied to the_mikey | 12 years ago
0 likes
the_mikey wrote:

I use both 10 speed 105 and old 9 speed tiagra, no real issues with either of them, only difference that I can tell is the cost of replacement parts, 9 speed parts are significantly cheaper, but if that's not your concern then go for 10 speed!

Agreed.

The differences are very small. I'm happy with my 9 speed setup, and I don't like spending more than I have to on chains and cassettes.

Latest Comments