Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Metric Century chat

Want to chat about the Metric Century Challenge? Do it here! And not in the MCC scoring thread. Good luck for 2011-2012!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

141 comments

Leviathan replied to Colin Peyresourde | 11 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

Can anyone remind me when the metric century starts and finishes? Can I start it this Jan, or am I too late?

It started on November 1st 2012 and runs for 12 months. You can still take part and log metrics but you won't be able to 'complete' the challenge as you have missed Nov+Dec (I've already missed Dec if you look a couple of posts up.) only about 21ish people did it all last year/season.

You can always just set yourself your own challenge for 2013.

Bedfordshire Clanger | 11 years ago
0 likes

January sorted. Why do I only do these in the snow? Only two more to go before the clocks change. In a few weeks time I'll be able to start one of these in daylight. Maybe I'll manage to go a bit quicker too.

0 likes

...and the theme for this year's MCC is snow. Another freezing MC across the white fields of Beds and Herts.

Blackhound | 11 years ago
0 likes

166km yesterday and my hands and feet never got warm. Snow free at home but Charnwood Hills had quite a bit in the fields and verges.

peakingintwomonths | 11 years ago
0 likes

Nov-Feb, first quarter done,

Been a tale of punctures, snow, ice, punctures, flooding, punctures, going arse-over-tip over the handlebars and getting a puncture. Never mind, on the up-side I have got out on the bike through all weathers and maintained what modicum of fitness I have - and sharpened up my puncture repair technique.

Feb run today was perfect - sunshine, crisp, snow on the moors - soon be spring with daylight and the chance of better weather.

0 likes

A week ago I was flying throught the Peaks in sunshine, today I was suffering a thorough beasting on the wheel of Old Cranky for the whole of the Phil Cooke Challenge. It didn't stop it being a fine day out on a great route, well organised by some lovely people for a very good cause. Even mashing two chainlinks in my front mech couldn't spoil the day. The moral of the story is...always recycle your KMC Master links. You can't have too many in your EPMS.

Needless to say, both rides were as icy as the ninth circle of hell. Roll on Spring!

Old Cranky | 11 years ago
0 likes

Mr B.Clanger,

It was a fine day out, but hardly a beasting and clearly you were at a disadvantage on your steel-is-real (and flexi) Condor.

"EPMS" - excellent acronym for those who are aware of the rules  3

Coincidentally, another cycling friend arranged a recent pedal taking in a few cemeteries with a bit of a history lesson thrown in. One gravestone en route was that of Maria Rossetti, so your reference to Dante's Inferno is the second I've heard in as many weeks.

Looking forward to the next metric century get-together,
Old Cranky.

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to Old Cranky | 11 years ago
0 likes

That Condor is a perfectly fast bike if the owner turns the pedals quickly enough!
Looking forward to the next one and the RHoTN

0 likes

That's March sorted already, 5/12 and the darkest months behind us. I've done a couple of early morning slogs down to London this week. The highlight was dropping a large gentleman on his Bianchi TT doing a lap of Regents Park. I am a little worried though, I did so while sporting a large beard and with a full pannier attached to my bike. Does this make me a 'Fred?'

Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

Hopefully the weather can only get better for the remaining duration of the challenge and there are about 23 of us still in the game  26

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Half way there and I'm still in it. No more snow. It's all downhill from here surely.

0 likes

A few more got shelled out during April  26

themartincox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Looking forward to August!

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nearly done now. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I'm planning one for Friday. Fingers crossed.

0 likes

I'm done; my season is over, no more racing and no more metric centuries planned until November  26

I look forward to receiving a bit hat  3

0 likes

Stop keeping us in suspense - where's the announcement of the results and awards?

And finally, will it be run again for 2013-2014?

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

So, when are the 'prizes' going out ?

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

oh yeah. on it!

0 likes

Come on Dave. Pull your socks up  3

Some of us have started clocking up century rides for the 2013-14 challenge and we need to proudly report them  26

Strathlubnaig replied to Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

too true, managed a couple myself so far this month !

0 likes

yup, i'm a bad man. but it shall come to pass.

jimulti | 10 years ago
0 likes

though shall it come to pass this century?

0 likes

It will. but:

NEWSFLASH:

Metric Century 2014 will be starting on 1 Jan 2014 and running for the calendar year. this is because:

a) that makes more sense
b) we've had a lot of stuff on our plate and didn't get round to sorting it out. although i am now

cheers!

dave atkinson replied to | 10 years ago
0 likes
Blackhound wrote:

My best November ever, already had six counting rides. Ah well.

It's all good base work for that january push  4

Blackhound | 10 years ago
0 likes

My best November ever, already had six counting rides. Ah well.

0 likes

i managed to quote you before you'd commented there. how about *that*?

pixelmix replied to dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

Metric Century 2014 will be starting on 1 Jan 2014 and running for the calendar year.

Sounds sensible. The only question now is do I have December off? Nah. It's nice having gotten into the habit of doing a monthly 100k.

jimulti replied to pixelmix | 10 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

Metric Century 2014 will be starting on 1 Jan 2014 and running for the calendar year.

Makes sense. It might be tougher if your new to the metric century to start in January and finish in December.

pixelmix wrote:

It's nice having gotten into the habit of doing a monthly 100k.

Totally agree.

james mckay | 10 years ago
0 likes

"it's about the challenge, not the reward" - as if!? Am I not the only one here for the socks?

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

Why not just called Metric Century Challenge 2014?

Pages

Latest Comments