Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Metric Century chat

Want to chat about the Metric Century Challenge? Do it here! And not in the MCC scoring thread. Good luck for 2011-2012!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

141 comments

bigmel | 11 years ago
0 likes

Absolute madness! On the road at 4am for some night time riding. Passed the police gathering to raid a house . . .
Dawn just after 5am. Ran out of energy bars and drink at 8am but I was well on my way home by then. In sunshine.
Thanks for the challenge - and now to bed for a well deserved snooze.

Blackhound | 12 years ago
0 likes

Bad luck lazyusername. Happened to me last year, got ill and missed one. Just carry on and do it anyway, missing the one - still a great achievment.

Got my April one in today, 120km so pleased with that. First run out on summer bike and it did feel easier.

lazyusername | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm out!

Todays attempt was curtailed due to punctures (two) poor choice of outfit (flipping freezing this morning) and foul mood (not improved by the above). That's going to be it for March for me i'm afraid. Oh well I'll probably start again around Halloween...

lazyusername | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'd completely forgotten about the metric for March. I think the good weather has thrown me, weekly mileage is up considerably, just adjusting my mental state from the expletives through gritted teeth which accompanied the winter rides to the possibility a sunny metric, enjoyment even, who knows...

I've got a week to get my head round this possibility

MCLK | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sunday was indeed a glorious day for a century, I got my first tan lines of the year. I thought I was getting used to longer rides in the Peak District but struggled with this one. Set off from Sheffield at 8:30 up toward Holmefirth then over Holme moss to Glossop and back through Castleton, etc. It took quite a lot longer than expected with over 7400ft of climbing - I managed to get back in time for the Rugby, though.  1

bigmel | 12 years ago
0 likes

What sunshine on Sunday!! And what a difference it makes, just seemed to be zipping along. Set off just after 8am, finished by 1pm, 105km AND England v France in the 6 nations. Simply brilliant.

Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes

What's the deal with these metric century things, I always seem to toil to get a route to hit 100km, 98.8km is easy, today I had to go round the village an extra lap to nudge it over. I should plan ahead better.

Gkam84 replied to Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes
Strathlubnaig wrote:

What's the deal with these metric century things, I always seem to toil to get a route to hit 100km, 98.8km is easy, today I had to go round the village an extra lap to nudge it over. I should plan ahead better.

Sometimes it unavoidable to be almost home and just short, just do as you did and do an extra lap, i had to go round a roundabout 5 times to get above the 100km once

Planning ahead works, but only if you've got enough scope on your route to be able to reach the 100km and a way home incase of emergency, weather change or anything like that

Lycra Man | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm on the Audax 200k every month diet. Cancelled early December ride because of ice, and slotted it in nicely on 30th.
Then enjoyed The Poor Student, an Oxford-Malmesbury-Chipping Camden-Oxford 200k triangle in 11 hrs 10 minutes.
Now looking forward to The Kennet Valley Run next weekend. Audax is the future. Join in!
Lycra Man

bigmel | 12 years ago
0 likes

Grabbed the chance in a freezing wind but a crystal clear day to grab a century.
Set of at 9am, got back 3pm!! Mind you, did spend nearly an hour warming up in the cafe over soup & sarnies.
When will I get a ride without a nagging headwind?
The first 60k are dedicate to wingman Richie, for getting me out of bed and out riding, the final 40k to Lifeventure's thermal mug - possible the best performance enhancing device to be had for £10 !!

Strathlubnaig | 12 years ago
0 likes

Feeling very pleased with myself, 1st of February and that's my Feb 100k ride ticked off...just as well, as going offshore for 2 weks in the morning, but it takes the pressure off a bit if I come back and weather is pish.
Glorious southern highland sunshine this morning, magic.

bigmel | 12 years ago
0 likes

A grim 100k but given how bad January could be, I was glad to get this month's ride in the bag. Got rained on in the last 10k as well.
Feet up until the end of February, then. By which time my "fitness" might be hiding behind the sofa, given the near 5 hours it took me today.  2
I'm just hoping to bag a ride a month until spring comes.
Then we'll see who's banging in the rides.
But thanks for the "motivation" provided by this challenge. At least I'm out riding.
Mel

NigelL | 12 years ago
0 likes

There was me hoping to just sit in the background, ticking off a ride a month (for now at least)at my leisure and collect a nice pair of socks at the end of it. Then December happened, a lingering head/chest cold kept me off the bike for the first two weeks, then time away over christmas meant I lost that 'window' to get on the bike, and now having had to work the past week there's just one day left, and I'm working that too! So, there's just two 'slots' available, a stupidly early ride when the roads should be quiet, or the evening option when I suspect roads will be somewhat busier - stupid o'clock it is, then!

Nigel

dave atkinson replied to NigelL | 12 years ago
0 likes
NigelL wrote:

There was me hoping to just sit in the background, ticking off a ride a month (for now at least)at my leisure and collect a nice pair of socks at the end of it. Then December happened, a lingering head/chest cold kept me off the bike for the first two weeks, then time away over christmas meant I lost that 'window' to get on the bike, and now having had to work the past week there's just one day left, and I'm working that too! So, there's just two 'slots' available, a stupidly early ride when the roads should be quiet, or the evening option when I suspect roads will be somewhat busier - stupid o'clock it is, then!

Nigel

good luck! managed to sneak mine in early doors in december, but not looking forward to january's effort...

NigelL replied to dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks, Dave. Well, I managed to 'rattle off' the miles this morning, setting off around 3.30, getting back home with just enough time for a shower, brekkie, and then off to work  2 Let's hope January's ride will be a little less fraught!

Nigel

seanieh66 | 12 years ago
0 likes

16 300+ in the bag since Friday, easy.

Correction, make that 378km, just 122km left to complete the Rapha Festive 500.

seanieh66 | 12 years ago
0 likes

19 Easy

Squiggle | 12 years ago
1 like

I'm yet to join the December club. went out yesterday and did 88K including a puncture repair which got me so cold that I ended up taking the short way home. Planning a ride inland tomorrow (live on coast) but there's a couple of cars in town this morning with a few cm of snow on them so that may well fall through. I'll try my best though! I like the sound of the 200 challenge but I'll build up to that one I think. If the weathers good prior to Christmas I might try the 140 mile ride to Mum n Dads! Will save on a train fair but not sure how I'll carry the presents!

Blackhound | 12 years ago
0 likes

One of my mates is doing a 200km audax once a month so I decided to join him for his December venture. How hard could it be? First 50k was ok but suffered badly for next 100km before feeling stronger over the long final leg. Stick to 100's for a while!

carlgrz | 12 years ago
0 likes

Did my first for December yesterday. There was no snow but by heck it was cold. 100km in the freezing cold on your own in December is plenty enough for me hence getting home on 99.9 and having to ride round the block to.make the ton.
I do like this challenge as a motivational tool though.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Most likely my last metric of the year, strong winds and snow, not enjoyable in the slightest, but had to get one in before the place turns white and i can't even get out on my crosser, So the turbo trainer comes out for a service tomorrow, going to have to replace it soon because last year it was at deaths door

Time to upgrade and get a mag or gel one i think

Pages

Latest Comments