Metric Century chat

by Dave Atkinson   November 4, 2011  

Want to chat about the Metric Century Challenge? Do it here! And not in the MCC scoring thread. Good luck for 2011-2012!

117 user comments

Latest 30 commentsNewest firstBest ratedAll

Dave Atkinson wrote:

Metric Century 2014 will be starting on 1 Jan 2014 and running for the calendar year.

Makes sense. It might be tougher if your new to the metric century to start in January and finish in December.

pixelmix wrote:
It's nice having gotten into the habit of doing a monthly 100k.

Totally agree.

posted by jimulti [12 posts]
28th November 2013 - 18:57

9 Likes

"it's about the challenge, not the reward" - as if!? Am I not the only one here for the socks?

posted by james mckay [15 posts]
2nd January 2014 - 21:27

2 Likes

Why not just called Metric Century Challenge 2014?


I am stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer, I spat out Plath and Pinter.

bikeboy76's picture

posted by bikeboy76 [1676 posts]
2nd January 2014 - 23:53

9 Likes

I seem to have lost the ability to edit my post on the Metric century age any one else with this problem?

posted by jayme [120 posts]
12th January 2014 - 16:09

7 Likes

That's strange. I just went to add a ride to this years so far meagre total and my post is no longer there? - Ignore that, found it. You'd never guess I used computer for a living Silly

posted by MCLK [88 posts]
24th February 2014 - 22:36

7 Likes

jayme wrote:
I seem to have lost the ability to edit my post on the Metric century age any one else with this problem?

missed this - you still having this problem?

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7786 posts]
24th February 2014 - 22:43

3 Likes

Quite new to the forum and only just seen this. Looks like i'm going to have a quick tally up of the past 3 months riding...

posted by Martyn_K [121 posts]
25th March 2014 - 17:30

4 Likes

Finished today (sort of assuming the weather won't hold for the rest of the month, or Christmas might prevent any further long rides) with my 15th point of the year. Rode the same route as I did for my first point, and though it was much much colder today, I knocked about 15 minutes off the time. I do feel much fitter now than then, though.

Much kudos to those who are completing this month, especially those with so many many more points than is required. I feel a bit mean finishing with so few points compared to so many others!

posted by DrJDog [237 posts]
6th December 2014 - 16:34

0 Likes

I was doing the MCC on another web site and the lure of the socks made me add them here too!
Makes you realise how the weather affects your ability to get out - did one a month from Jan til May, then started doing a lot more.

posted by Daveyraveygravey [276 posts]
7th December 2014 - 8:49

0 Likes

I might have a go in 2015. At one point I was riding 100 km rides per week but due to family commitments I had to let it slip.

posted by CXR94Di2 [513 posts]
7th December 2014 - 15:21

0 Likes

How about a pair of arm warmers or something for a nutjob who does one a week.

Not me I hasten to add.

I get a pair for the suggestion...........don't I Dave.

monkeytrousers's picture

posted by monkeytrousers [68 posts]
10th December 2014 - 14:42

0 Likes

Stupid question - how do I claim the socks? I can't find instructions anywhere.

posted by Daveyraveygravey [276 posts]
28th December 2014 - 13:41

0 Likes

Just finished! Bit cold out there today!

Kellar's picture

posted by Kellar [6 posts]
30th December 2014 - 17:57

0 Likes

so how do i record a metric tomorrow???

mrmo's picture

posted by mrmo [1752 posts]
31st December 2014 - 22:18

1 Like

2015?

I've just done my first one for the challenge

65.8miles in the wind and dark!

posted by Stratman [57 posts]
2nd January 2015 - 23:04

2 Likes

Welldone Stratman! You're a beacon in our winter darkness.

posted by wellcoordinated [168 posts]
3rd January 2015 - 11:14

0 Likes

Kicked off New Years day 2015 with an Imperial Century...helps that I live in NZ so we've got plenty of warmth and daylight Cool

JediNeo's picture

posted by JediNeo [35 posts]
3rd January 2015 - 21:46

0 Likes

Until the 2015 thread starts (If the MCC2015 will be running this year?), in the meantime I'm just adding this year's rides to the bottom of my 2014 tally.

Greg L's picture

posted by Greg L [63 posts]
4th January 2015 - 13:23

0 Likes

Completed the Jan Sales Audax yesterday - 200k in heavy rain and cold temperatures (though not freezing, thankfully). Itching to record my first 2 points for 2015! Big Grin

posted by Glen C [36 posts]
4th January 2015 - 22:59

0 Likes

How many people completed the challenge in the end? Well done to all those that did, and good luck to everyone starting again now!

Do you have enough socks? Big Grin

Kellar's picture

posted by Kellar [6 posts]
10th January 2015 - 12:42

0 Likes

Kellar wrote:
How many people completed the challenge in the end? Well done to all those that did, and good luck to everyone starting again now!

Do you have enough socks? Big Grin

Was wondering about the socks, just hoping i can clear this Bronchitis and get some rides in and do it again this year!!!!!!

mrmo's picture

posted by mrmo [1752 posts]
10th January 2015 - 16:01

0 Likes

2015 over for me, half way through my first one. Went over on some ice, may have bust my scaphoid but it doesn't show for ten days. Gives me a chance to get some replacement drive train parts...
Did make the strava climbing challenge by 8m! Cool

posted by Daveyraveygravey [276 posts]
29th January 2015 - 22:01

0 Likes

Just to add to the general questioning that appears to be going on, having completed the challenge in 2014, how do we get the socks to wear with a certain amount of pride Party

Al

posted by A squared [2 posts]
3rd February 2015 - 20:40

2 Likes

A squared wrote:
Just to add to the general questioning that appears to be going on, having completed the challenge in 2014, how do we get the socks to wear with a certain amount of pride Party

Thinking Waiting

monkeytrousers's picture

posted by monkeytrousers [68 posts]
20th February 2015 - 14:19

1 Like

I'm enjoying racking 'em up so far this year. Hopefuly the weather will start to improve soon. That will make it a much nicer experience. Cool

posted by Judge dreadful [110 posts]
23rd February 2015 - 11:53

0 Likes

Will the 2015 challenge be pinned?
Miraculously I am still in and managed two metrics in two months. My feet suffer terribly in the wet poor dears. Bring on the spring and completing one in the dry, daylight and under 4 hours and before the last day of the month!


I am stronger than Mensa, Miller and Mailer, I spat out Plath and Pinter.

bikeboy76's picture

posted by bikeboy76 [1676 posts]
28th February 2015 - 22:05

0 Likes

Did Road.CC give up on the idea of socks for 2014 challenge completers? Or have I missed the memo?

posted by Saint Mark [31 posts]
4th March 2015 - 15:44

0 Likes

I dared dream the impossible dream, that one day I would own some Road.cc socks. That people would come from miles around to bask in the glory of my socks. Socks so glorious, I would wear them always, even during sexy time. In fact especially during sexy time!

I battled against the elements, month after month, racking up those dreaded kilometres. Every time telling myself it was for the greater good - that one day those socks would be mine. Every grimace, every face full of rain water, every set of aching legs, brought me closer to the socks.

Finally, it was done, the challenge was complete, the socks were mine! I was so excited about the socks I rushed out and bought a bike in matching colours in anticipation. I cast out my other socks to the bin, obsolete compared to magnificent Road.cc socks.

Alas, it wasn't to be, that warmth in my heart has grown cold. The sweet taste of victory has turned to ashes in my mouth. All I can do now is forlornly gaze at my bike and dream of what might have been. Now the merest mention of socks engulfs me in a fit of rage.

Richard1982's picture

posted by Richard1982 [23 posts]
4th March 2015 - 17:26

4 Likes

Richard1982 wrote:
I dared dream the impossible dream, that one day I would own some Road.cc socks. That people would come from miles around to bask in the glory of my socks. Socks so glorious, I would wear them always, even during sexy time. In fact especially during sexy time!

I battled against the elements, month after month, racking up those dreaded kilometres. Every time telling myself it was for the greater good - that one day those socks would be mine. Every grimace, every face full of rain water, every set of aching legs, brought me closer to the socks.

Finally, it was done, the challenge was complete, the socks were mine! I was so excited about the socks I rushed out and bought a bike in matching colours in anticipation. I cast out my other socks to the bin, obsolete compared to magnificent Road.cc socks.

Alas, it wasn't to be, that warmth in my heart has grown cold. The sweet taste of victory has turned to ashes in my mouth. All I can do now is forlornly gaze at my bike and dream of what might have been. Now the merest mention of socks engulfs me in a fit of rage.

Ditto!

posted by DrJDog [237 posts]
10th March 2015 - 16:58

0 Likes

Seriously though Road.CC, we'd love to hear from you about this - are the socks ever going turn up?

Richard1982's picture

posted by Richard1982 [23 posts]
4th April 2015 - 3:05

0 Likes