Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Metric Century chat

Want to chat about the Metric Century Challenge? Do it here! And not in the MCC scoring thread. Good luck for 2011-2012!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

141 comments

themartincox | 10 years ago
0 likes

Looking forward to August!

Bedfordshire Clanger | 10 years ago
0 likes

Nearly done now. It wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. I'm planning one for Friday. Fingers crossed.

Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm done; my season is over, no more racing and no more metric centuries planned until November  26

I look forward to receiving a bit hat  3

0 likes

Stop keeping us in suspense - where's the announcement of the results and awards?

And finally, will it be run again for 2013-2014?

Strathlubnaig | 10 years ago
0 likes

So, when are the 'prizes' going out ?

dave atkinson | 10 years ago
0 likes

oh yeah. on it!

0 likes

Come on Dave. Pull your socks up  3

Some of us have started clocking up century rides for the 2013-14 challenge and we need to proudly report them  26

Leviathan replied to Stofish | 11 years ago
0 likes

Sweet, well done stofish. That’s 19 finishers and still two more possibles.

Strathlubnaig replied to Leviathan | 11 years ago
0 likes
bikeboy76 wrote:

So is there going to be a new challenge thread? Or is this not an annual event?

Yes, good question, got a couple November rides waiting to be logged.

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes
Dave Atkinson wrote:

yup, i'll set it up tomorrow

Typical IT!

Leviathan replied to Colin Peyresourde | 11 years ago
0 likes
Colin Peyresourde wrote:

Can anyone remind me when the metric century starts and finishes? Can I start it this Jan, or am I too late?

It started on November 1st 2012 and runs for 12 months. You can still take part and log metrics but you won't be able to 'complete' the challenge as you have missed Nov+Dec (I've already missed Dec if you look a couple of posts up.) only about 21ish people did it all last year/season.

You can always just set yourself your own challenge for 2013.

Bedfordshire Clanger replied to Old Cranky | 11 years ago
0 likes

That Condor is a perfectly fast bike if the owner turns the pedals quickly enough!
Looking forward to the next one and the RHoTN

Strathlubnaig replied to Old Cranky | 10 years ago
0 likes

too true, managed a couple myself so far this month !

Blackhound | 11 years ago
0 likes

Got 4 rides in last week. I was doing some back up to a group doing LEJOG so got to ride during the day from Golant(not 100km), Street, Dumfries, Fort Augustus and Betty Hill. The Dumfries ride included a bit of today's ToB route.

oldgit | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just completed 1000km in five days this week with a very round about trip to Paris and back.

Alan Tullett | 11 years ago
0 likes

Lovely ride in Suffolk yesterday. Ham sandwiches in a field with a wonderful view, although the blackberry bushes all down the road were still unripe, so no free dessert!

Suffolk cider in a friendly pub in Dalham in a little hollow with almost idyllic surroundings of brook and thatched cottages in bright sunshine, then down to Clare and a little tour around their country park, back through Steeple Bumpstead and Helions Bumpstead (Essex) (pretty place) and a final stop in a pub in Linton to refill the water bottle, have a cold lager and a bit of fruit cake before getting back to Cambridge. Big meal of steak, chips, lots of veg, cheese and biscuits, chocolate (well, I'd earned it). My daughter said she'd never seen me eat so much so quickly.

Only passed one other rider in gear and had a chat with a lady on a bike in my first stop in Saxon Street when I had my OS map out on a hedge to decide which way to go. Used the Bryton I won on here to map the ride as I went along. Will ride more in that direction in future and explore a few more villages and pubs out there.

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Wasn't it Vaughters who said that you need to do at least 20,000 miles a year for 10 years before you can come close to thinking about doing the tour?

An average of 55 miles a day.

Parlee-king | 11 years ago
0 likes

I was talking to a clubman who is legendary mile muncher about the MCC last week.

knowing he records his rides religiously in a log book, baring in mind this would be his standard ride pattern and not influenced by just doing a few extra to get a MCC in (something I've started doing ..the shame of it)

I asked him how many MCCs he had completed since last Halloween...and also how many months since you DIDN'T do a MCC.

56 so far this period..... and he looked back as far as Jan 2004 and in only in one (winter) month had he not done a MCC. That particular month his longest ride was just 95km

Lucky for the leaders of the challenges he doesn't have that internet stuff to join in the fun....but he does have 850,000 km in his legs

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

No, but lets say everyone who does one on there gets Kudos from everyone else.

Just click that button.

37monkey | 11 years ago
0 likes

Will the metric century be moving to strava?

Racer Z | 11 years ago
0 likes

16 Do cycling in the early morning recently,the summer comes,hot in the afternoon~~

bigmel | 11 years ago
0 likes

Get In !!
Rode my first audax today, the Barbury Bash at a fully certified 210km.
DID get overtaken by a man with a beard, wearing sandals . . .
How do they do that?

Feet up for 3 weeks now during the TdeF

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

Did my first 100k today, went up to see the Dunwich Dynamo riders arriving, then just carried on by myself for 3 and a half hours.

I think Sunday will become my 'Metric Day' now!

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

Bike Bath this weekend, looking like it might be some kind of literal Bike Bath  39

Darthshearer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Well I have just joined and the weather isnt looking good for the weekend  2

Sunday I am at the road nationals, thankfully have a day of next week and then next Saturday I have a trip to the Lakes planned for more biking  1

themartincox | 11 years ago
0 likes

its unlikely, but we shall see - time in the saddle has been severely curtailed for a while!

think it might be time for 5am rides to start taking place!

dave atkinson | 11 years ago
0 likes

boom! parachuting in near the top

can he keep it up though?

themartincox | 11 years ago
0 likes

Had a few minutes spare at work today so got around to filling in my ride details

if I am honest, bunking off of work for 2 months has probably worked in my favour on this one!

Organon | 11 years ago
0 likes

I am currently training for the Great Manchester bike (42km) and already looking for my next challenge. I was counting up on the other thread and there are 23 people left in the challenge for every month.

I though there would be more. Perhaps it's quite hard  39

jayme | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just completed Lands End to John Groats. Very happy with 15 days of usable rides.  1  1

Pages

Latest Comments