Singular Osprey build kit

by singlespeedan   November 3, 2011  

Hello, I am eagerly awaiting the arrival of a sinular osprey to join my stable of bikes.

I am after some opinions on cranks
for the build
What are the relative merits of say a tiagra double chainset over say a stronglight square taper chainset?
part of me thinks that the stronglight/square taper combo would be durable and long lasting and in keeping with the look of the bike where as the tiagra may be a little lighter. Also there is the advantage of maybe being able to buy an entire groupset for a decent price ont he internet.

thanks in advance for any thoughts,

dan

5 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

Hi Dan,
From experience, I would suggest that the weight of the Shimano would be the least of it's advantages, the durability of an external B/B will be far better than a traditional square taper and the shifting on Shimano rings is head & shoulders above most of the competition (Campy & Sram the exceptions).

I hate to sugest it as it seems ridiculous, but it may be cheeper to buy a donor bike for the build kit.

Stofish

Stofish's picture

posted by Stofish [53 posts]
5th November 2011 - 8:18

1 Like

Did I read that correctly? Better durability of external BB? Only if you're riding in the desert because IME (running 6 bikes) with some you're lucky for them to last a year if ridden regularly in the rain whereas I have cartridge BBs that are nearing double-figures in age. There's also bollox talked about the relative stiffness between the two - DuraAce track cranks are still Octalink.

Make mine an Italian with Campagnolo on the side

posted by monty dog [408 posts]
5th November 2011 - 16:51

1 Like

100%; assuming the frame is faced correctly and the bearings are of similar quality, the larger more numerous balls of an external BB can only last longer.
Or am I missing something?

Stofish

Stofish's picture

6th November 2011 - 8:10

0 Likes

OK what about a different question, how about the relative merits of nine speed over 10?

singlespeedan's picture

posted by singlespeedan [27 posts]
6th November 2011 - 16:44

0 Likes

10 speed good, 9 speed good too, my most used bike only has 6 and that is good also.

If you get a really good deal on 9 then go for it, if not, then 10 will probably be more future proof.

Stofish

Stofish's picture

6th November 2011 - 18:08

1 Like