Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Brakes not releasing

So I took my wheels off my new bike yesterday for the first time since buying it - put them back on today and the brake calipers won't release properly now! Squeeze the brakes and they just stay on the rim. Brakes are 105 levers with Tektro dual pivot R540.

Dunno what I've done! Not like I've not taken wheels off 100's of times before...really strange.

Any help appreciated.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

TheRealYeti | 12 years ago
0 likes

Check that the cable outer hasn't popped out of the calliper adjuster and is sitting on the edge.
Might just need reseating in the calliper adjuster.

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

silly question, but have you checked the... what's it called... the tension release levers that let you have more room to get your wheels off easir? You know, where the cable anchor pouint is? If anybody could explain what Im talking about, that might be the problem...

PhilRuss replied to Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes
Cooks wrote:

silly question, but have you checked the... what's it called... the tension release levers that let you have more room to get your wheels off easir? You know, where the cable anchor pouint is? If anybody could explain what Im talking about, that might be the problem...

Yes...Cooks' idea looks favourite...maybe you took delivery of the bike with the brakes'Q/R levers UP, ie in the release position, so that when you put the wheels back and snapped the brakes tight, they're too tight. Otherwise you've just contracted BTR syndrome. (Brakes too tight, caused by assembly mechanics not paying attention to the job in hand). So release the nut holding the cable and then tension it yourself, as in Self-help. All t'best.
P.R.

charliealmond | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the suggestions guys. All the cables are fine, clear and snag free. It's both brakes and happened straight after I took the wheels off on Monday to put the bike in the car. The springs are still in the correct places.

I'll try and re-oil them all to get them running smoothly, but I've only had it 3 months!

dave atkinson | 12 years ago
0 likes

if it's the pivots, use some penetrating oil to free them up. once you're sure they're running smoothly, i find that forcing some grease into the pivots helps to protect against it happening again. you don't have to take the brakes apart, just squeeze some grease on to the outside of the pivot and push it into the gaps with your fingers or a toothbrush.

Koolstof | 12 years ago
0 likes

Check the above, but at this time of year, calipers have a habit of seizing up, especially the rear.

Is it both wheels or just one?

TheHatter | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cable snagging somewhere maybe?

if you disconnect the cable and the brakes spring open nicely then you know the brakes are okay and the problem lies elsewhere.

Latest Comments