Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Scoff law

Last night I got into a 'discussion' with a fellow road user.

Every other Thursday I take my daughter, a friend and their horses to Pony Club. Our horsebox is old, slow and ( thankfully ) not very big. I take my time, keeping below the speed limit, keeping to back-roads and taking corners easy so as not to throw the beast's about.

Last night, on the way back, some dumb-ass on a Bianchi decided to blow through a T junction, completely ignoring the signs and road markings.. Alas for him there is a pedestrian island in the middle of the road and a set of bollards just after the junction. Luckily for him our wagon isn't very wide so he didn't end up under the backwheels. He had no idea of the danger he'd placed himself and us in, but I bet if he had ended up flat it'd have been my fault. Stupid Arse!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

Jon Burrage | 14 years ago
0 likes

in fairness, even if I had done what he had done I would have been shocked if someone had confronted me about it. My reasoning was simple, id seem a van nearly flatten a young lad on a road bike (by young i mean 15-ish) by turning in on him about 15 minutes previously and to see another person on a bike seemingly trying to get run over just wound me up.

We arent special, we have no divine right to be on the road just like drivers dont but we dont need to go making out that cyclists dont follow the rules of the road.

0 likes

he looked bemused

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Did he say anything back?

0 likes

I had a bit of a rant at a 'cyclist' the other day, he was on a bike but wasnt a cyclist (you get my drift here). On a very very busy 4 way junction he just kept going, slowed a bit, but carried on through even though there were 5 other cyclists stopped waiting because articulated trucks come flying round the corner.
I chased him down after that and had a bit of a go saying he "could have got killed and if he wants to take that risk then fine but him doing things like that makes drivers think we are all pr*cks that dont deserve to be on the road" It had been an annoying day...

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

On the way home yesterday I saw a cyclist run four red lights in a row. At the fourth he nearly got squished by a bus.

thebikeboy | 14 years ago
0 likes

Yep, riding a bike doesn't stop you being an idiot if you were one when you got on.

When I see riders doing stuff like that I often wonder what the reasoning is behind their actions… I bet the fella on the Bianchi wouldn't have dreamt of doing that if he was driving a car (hope not anyway) or if he was on foot…

Latest Comments