Giro Mountain Stages

by lucas   October 24, 2011  

I was looking at the mountain stages for the Giro:

http://www.gazzetta.it/Speciali/Giroditalia/2012/en/index.shtml?refresh_ce

I see they have color codes for the mountains. I see a lot of green 'GPM' labels on the mountains, for example.

Does anyone know what the codes mean? Is green a 'CAT 1'? Are there whites for a 'CAT 3' or 'CAT 4'?

If anyone knows, or knows of page where it's all explained, please let me know! Smile Thanks!

8 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

GPM stands for Gran Premio della Montagna, which is just the mountains competition. it just means they haven't categorised all the climbs yet...

Dave Atkinson's picture

posted by Dave Atkinson [7830 posts]
24th October 2011 - 21:02

0 Likes

What used to mess with my head was seeing 'TV' at a random point on the Giro stage maps. At one point I wondered whether it was where the live TV coverage of a stage kicked in, but then why would it be near the start of one stage and at the end of another?

Took me a longer time than I will admit to work out that it stood for 'Traguardo Volante' = (literally) 'Flying Threshold'= Intermediate Sprint.

Still, it's not like I lived in Italy for a year or anything. Ahem. Che vergogna...

Blushing

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [9370 posts]
24th October 2011 - 21:28

0 Likes

dave_atkinson wrote:
... it just means they haven't categorised all the climbs yet...

So eventually they'll be categorized as Cat 1, Cat 2, etc?

Simon_MacMichael wrote:
'TV'... [stands] for 'Traguardo Volante'... Intermediate Sprint.

That's pretty cool. Inever quite got that. Thanks! Smile

posted by lucas [78 posts]
25th October 2011 - 0:44

0 Likes

Yeah the will be categorized nearer the time Nerd

Gkam84's picture

posted by Gkam84 [9355 posts]
28th October 2011 - 5:17

0 Likes

Gkam84 wrote:
Yeah the will be categorized nearer the time Nerd

I was looking at the stage profiles for Tirreno Adriatico at http://www.steephill.tv/tirreno-adriatico/ but their profiles still only say 'GPM'... How would you know if a climb is a Cat 1, 2, 3 etc?...

posted by lucas [78 posts]
10th March 2012 - 11:44

0 Likes

Looks like this might be the spur for a useful article comparing the French, Italian, Spanish et al codes for racing? They can be a bit opaque and a GPM means mountain competition and has these symbols etc would be helpful.

Cannondale CAAD10, Condor Terra-X and an orange Brompton.
Ride for East London Velo

zzgavin's picture

posted by zzgavin [208 posts]
10th March 2012 - 21:00

0 Likes

Lucas - No distinction made between Tirreno climbs, same points apply to all of them.

zzgavin - More a case of graphics employed by different organisers (although yeah language does come in too with eg Gran Premio della Montagna).

But when you look at a stage profile (esp once Giro has updated with Cat of climbs) it's obvious what's what.

Vuelta is part-owned by ASO and uses same web platform as the TDF so that's not too difficult to get head round.

Simon_MacMichael's picture

posted by Simon_MacMichael [9370 posts]
10th March 2012 - 21:31

0 Likes

Thanks Simon, that's very helpful

Cannondale CAAD10, Condor Terra-X and an orange Brompton.
Ride for East London Velo

zzgavin's picture

posted by zzgavin [208 posts]
12th March 2012 - 22:23

0 Likes