Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cycling on windy days

Have you ever noticed how when you cycle on a windy day, whatever direction you're heading in, you always feel as if you're cycling into the wind?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

54 comments

SideBurn | 12 years ago
0 likes

I feel the need to resurrect this posting. Just cycled home from work; I feel like I have been assaulted by an industrial hairdryer. Thats without mentioning the lightning, rain, sleet and hail. I actually quite enjoyed it! No such thing as bad weather; just the wrong clothes! If I say it enough I might believe it myself.

bashthebox | 12 years ago
0 likes

Strong winds in London terrify me. Feel like I'm going to be swept under a lorry all the time - guess the big rucksack makes me all the more blowable.

I just came up with a theory about winds in your face all the time. Tall buildings funnel the strong winds straight down from above, and when they hit the ground they'll spread out in all directions. So that's why the big gusts come from front, back and sides.

I eagerly await someone to tell me I'm talking nonsense.

cat1commuter | 12 years ago
0 likes

Wherever I ride I feel like there's a 30 kph headwind.

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Went to get my bike to go to work - gone bar two skewers  2 flat mates thought that in light of the 'stronger' winds it was a 'good' idea to hide the bike. They also hid the wheels. The single speed was there though, minus wheels as well I should add.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Raleigh mentioned this thread on another forum; so thought I would resurrect it...again! Somewhat appropriate especially round here; more gale force wind and heavy rain tonight..... Will either get to work in 5 mins or 5 hours!

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

OHMIGOD  4

S'been soo windy in Suffolk this entire week.

I normally work hard in headers and recover in tails, but THERE HAVE ONLY BEEN HEADWINDS

londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes

Amazed that this thread has been resurrected. We need a similar discussion about rain.

Simon_MacMichael replied to londonplayer | 11 years ago
0 likes
londonplayer wrote:

surely you should be able to go much faster when the wind is behind you? but I have never actually experienced this. anybody?

Hell yeah. Took a ride out to Moreton last year, got there in super quick time. When it took twice as long to get home straight into a headwind, I realised why  20

dave atkinson replied to Simon_MacMichael | 11 years ago
0 likes
Simon_MacMichael wrote:
londonplayer wrote:

surely you should be able to go much faster when the wind is behind you? but I have never actually experienced this. anybody?

Hell yeah. Took a ride out to Moreton last year, got there in super quick time. When it took twice as long to get home straight into a headwind, I realised why  20

went out round the north of Bath yesterday in 'mixed' conditions. got hit by a big shower and associated wind as we were heading east on an exposed flat stretch, got blown along at 50km/h+ for about four miles. it was *ace*

it was quite a lot less ace when we turned for home though  39

Raleigh | 11 years ago
0 likes

The wurrst thing is when you are enjoying an almost tailwind, you're quite close to home and you feel like you've done your work for the day, and then the road you're on turns 90˚. For me its normally quite a shock, as you normally forget about the wind...  31

giff77 | 11 years ago
0 likes

Crosswind got me this morning when on a roundabout. Was pretty hairy. After that a block headwind for 7 miles. Had to resort to the granny ring it was that bad  2 that and sideways rain. Tough morning but the next few days are to be good if accu weather is to be believed.

SideBurn | 11 years ago
0 likes

Just got home  37 The powers that be could not resist giving me a quick drenching  2 But even though the route is straight (ish) I never have a head or tail wind all the way there or back  39 I get half way and the wind changes  39 I think it is because of the wind chaneling down the valleys  39 Anyway tonight the second (hilly) half was assisted  16 I am pretty chuffed with myself because I have cycled to and from work every day this run of shifts  16 And got wet every day.... Will I see in the new year?  37

andybnk | 11 years ago
0 likes

Rules 9 & 5!

James Warrener | 11 years ago
0 likes

Has been as windy as I can remember this winter...not to do with sprouts either...

Throw in some of the cloud bursts we have been having and despite the milder temperatures it hasn't been the best of riding conditions.

davecochrane | 10 years ago
0 likes

Brutal winds in Glasgow today...brought my bike in for the 52k ride home. Wind gusting around 55mph. No chance I'm riding in that.

badkneestom | 10 years ago
0 likes

I'm not crazy?!

Actually, yesterday in the shop I heard two very seasoned cyclists discussing a ride, and caught mention that "for once the wind wasn't against us the whole time."

Truth be told, I've always attributed it to the fact that I'm cycling North and South, and over here wind generally blows West to East, so I just figured I was always somehow angled into it..

paulfg42 | 10 years ago
0 likes

Really windy the last few days. Stopped in my tracks a few times by the force of the wind.

mrmo | 10 years ago
0 likes

spent the last few weeks riding the 16miles to work into a head wind and getting blown home, last week the wind has flipped round, so now i am with the wind to work and head wind home.

When i say headwind i mean gale!

Be nice to just have a few days with no wind!

One of the joys of commuting across the vale of evesham is no shelter!!

farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes

I was trackstanding at a roundabout yesterday when a particularly big blast of wind started pushing me backwards. I tried to hold it out but I had a brief moment of feeling like my front end was starting to lift and didn't fancy landing arsewards on the car bonnet behind me so I unclipped and got my feet down.

I did notice a fella the other week riding southbound down the A6 in Longsight really struggling against the wind, we both shook our heads at each other in disbelief as I fought against equally vile winds going northbound.

notfastenough replied to farrell | 10 years ago
0 likes
farrell wrote:

I was trackstanding at a roundabout yesterday when a particularly big blast of wind started pushing me backwards. I tried to hold it out but I had a brief moment of feeling like my front end was starting to lift and didn't fancy landing arsewards on the car bonnet behind me so I unclipped and got my feet down.

I did notice a fella the other week riding southbound down the A6 in Longsight really struggling against the wind, we both shook our heads at each other in disbelief as I fought against equally vile winds going northbound.

4 I was doing the best part of 50kmh (assisted) on Sunday when I had to smile at a girl in racing kit fighting in the opposite direction. Her expression said it all - something like "if I keep this up, can I have a tailwind too?!"

However, I reckon the wind goes something like this. 14mph headwind + 14mph bike speed = effective 28mph wind in your face. (Yes, I have heard of Einstein and relativity, stop nitpicking.) Contrast that with 14mph tailwind and 14mph bike speed = minimal wind force on your back. It might allow easier displacement of the air directly in front of you though, so like me on Sunday, you don't feel a tangible push on your back, but the Strava results say you were flying.

Look on the bright side, I learned much about bike handling in crosswinds recently. I'm off to buy some 80mm deep rims!

Leviathan | 10 years ago
0 likes

I am glad the wind has swapped around. It might still be blowy one way but at least it is warm. If the wind is from behind and pushing you down a slight incline and you start picking up speed with no wind resistance, going faster and faster; I call this 'Vitesse,' effortless speed. Sadly it is a rare feeling.

giff77 replied to davecochrane | 10 years ago
0 likes
davecochrane wrote:

Brutal winds in Glasgow today...brought my bike in for the 52k ride home. Wind gusting around 55mph. No chance I'm riding in that.

ya big jessie.  19 cycled home via Inchinnan and Glasgow Airport to get home. A few hairy moments but I made it. 10 miles of a block headwind on 80 inch fixed and I made it - just. Thighs still burning. I reckon rule #9 applies in this case  4

issacforce | 10 years ago
0 likes

Just done 32 mile today in northumberland, v windy, and a result to stay on bike n get round in one piece

cojones | 10 years ago
0 likes

I used to get properly worked up commuting home into a headwind, which it invariably was, until I realised that mother nature ain't gonna change so I just have to get my head down (pun intended) and grind it out.

Now I prefer headwinds to crosswinds, they're worse, especially when you're north of 20mph and you go past a gateway to an open field!

Pages

Latest Comments