Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Etape Cymru

Did anybody ride this? Because if you didn't you dodged a bullet. As did I, as I entered with a free place for charity. If i'd paid £65 for it I would've been gutted. However, as I was riding for charity I was honour-bound to finish, and couldn't just abandon like I wanted to.
If this goes ahead again next year, it'll be a miracle.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

Cooks | 12 years ago
0 likes

Although a good route, I don't think it was suitable for riding in October. Too many leaf strewn descents, and too much crap on the road. Needs to be in April/May.

AtothaP | 12 years ago
0 likes

The real issue with this event wasn't the loss of some course markers but the fact that the organisers hadn't budgeted the correct amount of food and drink. For several hundred riders at the back of the field there was no food or water at the first feed station, and no food at the second. Had it not been for some very kind locals, we wouldn't have eaten or drunk anything between mile 20 and mile 50 - not really an option given how challenging the route was.

I agree with the comments above that the route was fantastic and I'd happily go and ride it again off my own back. However, I won't be giving any money to the organisers (K-extreme) again. £65? Bost the most expensive and the worst organised sportive I've ever done. You'd be better saving your money and doing the Etape Hibernia or Caledonia instead - both are fantastic.

technojim | 12 years ago
0 likes

For more details have a look at the comments section of this article.

http://www.wrexham.com/news/etape-cymru-disrupted-markers-moved-3008.htm...

While there were serious problems, the event definitely has potential. The route and the local spectators were brilliant.

It all depends on how the organiser deals with it. If they hold their hands up, admit they made mistakes and learn I might sign up next year and put the problems down to naivety.

If they just blame it all on a few local moving signs and try to just do the same thing next year with no changes then it's not naivety, it's a racket.

Cooks replied to technojim | 12 years ago
0 likes
technojim wrote:

For more details have a look at the comments section of this article.

http://www.wrexham.com/news/etape-cymru-disrupted-markers-moved-3008.htm...

While there were serious problems, the event definitely has potential. The route and the local spectators were brilliant.

It all depends on how the organiser deals with it. If they hold their hands up, admit they made mistakes and learn I might sign up next year and put the problems down to naivety.

If they just blame it all on a few local moving signs and try to just do the same thing next year with no changes then it's not naivety, it's a racket.

100% agree. I'd ride it again if creases were ironed out.

clwydrider | 12 years ago
0 likes

Worst organised event I've ever riden. They where even over 50% out on the climbing!

Latest Comments