Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

forum

who's won what?

As ive just mentioned in the friday Schwag grab post, i won a joke book when i was 10, and thats it..So in true friday pub question stylee. Who's won what?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

21 comments

Blackhound | 14 years ago
0 likes

Won my class at 1978(?) Irish Orienteering Championships. Still have the trophy.

Oli Pendrey | 14 years ago
0 likes

Proud winner of the 'Bath Fireworks Poster Competition 1995' - My Mum and Dad drove me back from a holiday in Dorset especially to go to the prize ceremony. I got a box of posh crayons (which i never used) and a trophy with my name engraved on it (which they spelled wrong).  22

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

This was in the 70s.

Barry Fry-up | 14 years ago
0 likes

How long ago was this scout raffle?  1

I once won a weekend in a 'holiday chalet' (static caravan) in mid wales in a raffle at a church bazaar. It rained all weekend.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

strange kinda prize for a scout raffle!, maybe they thought you too young for the bottle of scotch.

0 likes

As a kid I won 500 cigarettes in a scout raffle. Those were different times. I've never smoked and nor did anyone in the family at the time. I think my parents traded the cigarettes for something else.

John_the_Monkey | 14 years ago
0 likes

I won the Cervelo rider cards in one of the Friday schwag grabs - very pleased with that, and wondering how to frame/display them currently.

I've also won a signed Manchester City shirt (gave that to my father in law, as he's a much bigger fan than me), and a Foska "Lion of Flanders" jersey.

Mynydd.Mawr | 14 years ago
0 likes

It's actually much less interesting than my throwaway statement implies: when I was a little'un (adults don't generally have the time or inclination to bother with this kind of competition) I sent away a section from some gardening magazine, couple of weeks later I got a letter, and then a pond liner and load of plants turned up! (I'm guessing I was the only one who entered!).

Currently hoping to win the rather nice jersey up for grabs on this site.... He hinted..... Tactfully.......

Tony Farrelly replied to Mynydd.Mawr | 14 years ago
0 likes
Mynydd.Mawr wrote:

It's actually much less interesting than my throwaway statement implies: when I was a little'un (adults don't generally have the time or inclination to bother with this kind of competition) I sent away a section from some gardening magazine, couple of weeks later I got a letter, and then a pond liner and load of plants turned up! (I'm guessing I was the only one who entered!).

Currently hoping to win the rather nice jersey up for grabs on this site.... He hinted..... Tactfully.......

Did you build it? My daughter is always asking me to dig one… it's on the list of things I've got to do.

Speaking from experience I would say magazine competitions are well worth entering, unless it's a bike mag giving away a bike - they get loads, anything else though and you're in with a chance

Mynydd.Mawr replied to Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

I did indeed build it (with the help of a very wiry uncle (bloody hard work digging ponds, and you need a skip for the amazing amount of mud that comes out). Mum filled it in last year while I was out of the country!

Tony Farrelly | 14 years ago
0 likes

Do tell?  13

Mynydd.Mawr | 14 years ago
0 likes

I once won a pond.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

did you put some of that Magnus Backstedt coffee into it? (proper cycling coffee that.)

DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes

I won a nice steel coffee mug.. on here.  3

Bog snorkling... I used to ride out with an American girl who was the Ladies World Champ. Can't remember her name.  7

Tony Farrelly replied to DaveP | 14 years ago
0 likes
DaveP wrote:

I won a nice steel coffee mug.. on here.  3

How's the cup performing? Does your coffee go cold quicker?  39

0 likes

I won a new mobile phone in the raffle at the last regional BMX race at Hayes. It's a nice phone with lots of good features and was a timely win, seeing as how my old one was knackered. It was a hotly contested raffle. One disappointed loser offered me a cash sum for the phone. I declined.

dave atkinson | 14 years ago
0 likes

I was mountain bike bog snorkelling world champion in 1998, 1999 and 2000. I haven't participated since so technically i'm undefeated  1

0 likes

Hey look what I found…

0 likes

Sadly no. It was very impressive in the flesh, as it were, the special wrinkle was that the signet-type bit was a minature picture frame and you got a sheet of mini-pics of celebrities of the day… minor celebrities so minor that the only one I can remember was Ben Murphy who played Kid Curry in Alias Smith & Jones, he wasn't even the cool one - which, when you think about it, is quite a trick for someone who's the fastest gun in the west.

There's was probably a pic of the Cresta Bear too. To win you needed to know the words to the song he sang in the commercial… while lots of other more useful information has fallen out of my head in the last 35 years I still know the words to that song.

There aren't many of them mind.

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

wow thats very impressive!............. have you still got the ring? ebay maybe?

0 likes

I won our primary school's version of the 1974 general election. I was the Liberal candidate, but although I trounced my Labour and Conservative opponents it proved to be a false dawn for liberalism nationally.

They still have paid my, very reasonable, expenses either.

Apart from that nothing… oh wait a minute I won a Cresta Bear signet ring also in 1974 - something of a golden year on the winning things front compo victories have been a bit thin on the ground since.

Latest Comments