Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Pollution mask, worth it?

I ride 25 miles daily from Bracknell to Staines and watching the fumes belch out of larger vehicles is starting to concern me. Are pollution masks worth the money? If so what the best one to get? I don't want anything too restrictive so I turn into a dribbling mess but some protection would be nice. Any review pages or comments welcome! How do I know my size?

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

12 comments

hawkinspeter | 5 years ago
1 like

Unless you're cycling much slower than usual, facemasks will just feel far too hot and restrictive. They might be of some use in the winter, but my experience is that you'll wear it a couple of times and then realise that it's too uncomfortable.

flyen | 5 years ago
1 like

Of course it is worthwhile if Mask has Active carbon filters, which protects against air pollution.

Like this SKYSPER mask

brooksby replied to flyen | 5 years ago
4 likes

flyen wrote:

Of course it is worthwhile if Mask has Active carbon filters, which protects against air pollution.

Like this SKYSPER mask

One post?  Welcome to the forums - do you need to declare any financial interests?

EddyBerckx replied to brooksby | 5 years ago
3 likes

brooksby wrote:

flyen wrote:

Like this SKYSPER mask

One post?  Welcome to the forums - do you need to declare any financial interests?

He resurrected a 7 year old thread to post that.

Totally legit. 

Welsh boy replied to flyen | 5 years ago
2 likes

flyen wrote:

Like this SKYSPER mask

Where is your evidence please? What size particles are you trying to filter out and does that mask filter out pm2.5 particles? Nice advert though, sure it will convince the gullible few. 

Organon replied to flyen | 5 years ago
1 like

flyen wrote:

Like this SKYSPER mask

I am sure Respro would also say so. I hope the mask does him some good, because the way he is wearing that helmet looks like thats not going to help him much [squints... is it on backwards?]

nickpeters | 12 years ago
0 likes

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Seems the hassle out weighs the benefits. Ride safe all.

mypeloton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I wouldn't bother, like the above says it restricts your airflow. You didnt see the pros in Tour of Beijing (despite shocking air quality) wearing masks at the TT. Its never that bad in UK although I do find myself holding breath if stuck behind a dirty diesel bus.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'm not sure a mask would help avoid you inhaling contaminated air. it would merely restrict airflow, though it might trap some diesel particulates. You could try a cheap paper mask fom building supplies to begin with.

Are there any alternative routes with less pollution? As was previously pointed out, I believe the worst is standing / slow moving traffic rather that when it's travelling faster.

From what I've read any possible harm is more than offset by the benefit to your health of cycling.

Some more material:
http://road.cc/content/news/30319-bbc-pollution-article-has-cyclists-fum...

http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/article/health-air-pollution-the-invisi...

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Not sure on all the pros and cons myself. The real danger appears to be when traffic is stationary. If you sit back a bit from the vehicle in front and use your primary position so you are not directly behind the exhaust is one of the recommendations. With a mask you need to ensure you keep changing the filter otherwise it becomes a breeding ground for bacteria.

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

I live in London and bought one a while back for my commute. After using it a couple of times, I just stopped wearing it. I found mine difficult to breathe through, you get very hot and sweaty around the strapping and I wondered whether I was actually breathing through the mask or inhaling air from around the sides. Personally, my view is they're not very good but the only way you'll find out is from personal experience.

Chutzpah | 12 years ago
0 likes

I'll admit that I don't know enough about it really, but isn't there the argument that you inhale more bad stuff whilst sat in a car?

You could always wear a buff as a facemask, whether that would actually do anything I don't know.

Latest Comments