Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Winter Kit...Advise please

Hey,

I'm currently looking at getting some winter kit in the way of a base layer and some padded tights or 3/4 lengths.
For the tights i've looked at DHB Roubaix and for base layer the Craft Zero series.

Is there anything any one recommends?

Open to suggestions.
Budget of £80 for shorts, and £40 for base layer.
Also looking at around £50 for a gillet.

Thanks, and enjoy your weekend!

Joe  1

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

6 comments

mypeloton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Oh, and make sure you've got a Buff too!

mypeloton | 12 years ago
0 likes

I've stuck with my regular bib shorts and just worn tights on top. Mostly my Skins which act as a good barrier without any rubbing issues. After sorting a windproof/water resistant top best investment in winter clothing I find are good overshoes and gloves. The rest can be covered by wearing more layers than usual of your summer wardrobe.

Simon E | 12 years ago
0 likes

Planet-X were doing deals on Merino base layers recently and Howies had some of their lovely lightweight Merino in their summer sale.

For synthetics Craft are well reviewed but there's also UK company Prendas who sponsor/support British riders.

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

Try Decathlon. I have a base layer from there and love it. it is uber comfortable. think it was about 20 quid as well.

PeteH | 12 years ago
0 likes

I found Helly Hansen base layers by accident when I was given one as a present. Was so impressed that I've since bought a couple more myself.

I've generally been able to find deals on them, the only thing you need to watch is that they produce several variants depending on how cold it is, so be aware which one you're buying. I got a really lightweight one which is pretty much the equivalent of a long-sleeved summer jersey, on the other hand I got one with a merino weave which I wore when commuting at -5C last January.

Think they're about £25 and if I remember rightly I bought at least one from a Amazon marketplace.

Can't help with tights sorry, last year I invested in a pair of Assos which are the best tights I've ever worn but came with a price to match. As I say, invested...

Dr_Death | 12 years ago
0 likes

Base layer wise I have always liked the Howies stuff, which you can usually pick up in the sale at various times of the year as long as you're not too fussed about the colours (its a base layer, who cares what colour it is?)

A mate really like the enduro Baa baa stuff and their long sleeve base layer is 39.99 RRP so should be within budget.

If you are feeling flush (or for xmas) then I have a really nice lab-gear merino base layer (you can pick then neck design, sleeve length, stitching colour and all sorts of other poncy options) but they are a bit more pricey and the website is down for reconstruction at the moment....

Latest Comments