Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Traffic - how many of you have near misses every ride??

I have been getting more and more into road riding for the last 2 years with the last year getting more serious.

We go out every sunday for a long ride and tue nights for a quick 30-40 mile.

Most of our routes [70%] are on country lanes which we are lucky to have, However the other 30% are busy A roads and this is where the problem is.

I would say that i have a car/van pass me at about 6"-15" from me about twice every ride.

Most of these are idiots that have the other side of the road to use as there is nothing coming and a straight road. Feels to me like i'm target practice.

I have a 1 watt flashing led on the back which is very bright even on sunny days, and its on all the time too.

So, my question is this.

Where do you put yourself on the road.

I ride about 2ft out into the road to try and stop cars driving right through me.

Should i be more in the middle like many mopeds do.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

10 comments

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

All I am saying is - if there is a car behind you there is nothing wrong pulling up to the side a littlebit and let him/her past more easily. It really is frustrating when you just want to ease past somebody cycling and they are working their hardest to prevent you from doing it safe/easy.

Unless you are in a pro-tour race you don't need a train for cars following you  19

arowland replied to seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I agree. Helps to generate good relations between cyclists and drivers too. If the following traffic has slowed down for you and you are aware they are passing, it isn't too bad. You can hold a straight line till they're gone. The problem, I find, is the cars (or vans or 4×4's -- the latter being the worst) who suddenly appear a few inches from your elbow when you weren't expecting them. I always jump a mile and wobble dangerously!

heathy | 12 years ago
0 likes

The light is set so its @ 90% to the seat tube and level with the tyre. I guess if your behind in a car and right behind then yes it could dazzle if it was dark.

I use it in daylight so not as bad then.

I think you could be lit up like a xmas tree with a flashing blue light on your head, you will still get the same from certain drivers.

I'm doing the new forest 100 sportive on sunday so should be a good time to try out my new tactics.

Cheers guys...

FMOAB | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think the OP is doing exactly the right thing.

I would say that your main concerns when out on the road should be to stay predictable and visible to other road users. Being predictable means not cycling among the drains and debris at the side of the road, but about 18 inches to a few feet out.

Being visible means that on twisty hedgerow type roads, take the centre line or you could be invisible to cars legitimately doing 60mph.

One question to the OP. Your one watt rear light isn't angled to dazzle drivers is it? Could this be the reason they find you useful for target practice?

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

I was at work the other day (one of Nortumbria police finest) when a lady came into the nick to report a road rage incident.

My first question was "did you get a reg number" ?

To which she replied "no, i didnt know bikes had them". It seems that a cyclist was in the middle of the road and refused to let any drivers past. Prior to bursting out laughing i managed to offer some advice to her.

I wish i could have seen it - absolutely brilliant  4  4 .

I suppose thats your answer though, stick away from the gutters and nearer the middle of the road and you will be fine

heathy | 12 years ago
0 likes

Agreed, riding close to the edge is a big problem round here, roads are shite.

I think my answer is to adopt a more motorbike attitude and ride further out in the road.

We do have just as much right to use the road as cars after all.

giff77 | 12 years ago
0 likes

2/3 feet from the side of the road. Inside the white line is plain silly. It equates to stuffed up tyres/wheels. Also if in the country you tend to battle overgrown hedgerows. Drivers tend to use the solid white line as a marker for their nearside and actually get closer to you as a result if you cycle inside it. Not good if you need to swerve debris. If you have a good road position then you are forcing the driver to think more. Though doesn't always work that way.

arrieredupeleton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Google 'defensive cycling'. Riding in the verge/gutter is not good, in addition to being harder to see you'll attract more than your fair share of punctures/buckled wheels. Take ownership of the space around you, be consistent in your positioning and signal and move assertively. From the OP's comments he sounds experienced enough to know most of this but might be helpful to others.

Agreed with Gkam: make yourself visible by positioning your bike in middle of your lane on bends for example. I also stand up more if the road is rolling with blind summits.

The single worst incident I was involved in was on a country lane. No cars about, looked, signalled and moved to middle of the road to turn right. A pickup came from behind whilst I was signalling and overtook me, just before I was going to turn. I then made a different hand signal as he passed.

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cyclist in the middle of the road is the single most annoying thing for a car.

I think cars and cyclist should be able to share the road - not either take ownage of it.

Usually I cycle half a foot of the white line when I am alone, if I can hear cars I cross the white line and ride on the very shoulder of the road. Works fine for me. Cars get easily past, and leave plently of room for me - sometimes I even get a appriciative wave!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Well it all depends on the road and the bike i'm riding

My road bike - 2 rear lights and 2 front, I ALWAYS have a rear light flashing, no matter if its lunch time or midnight, i tend to ride closer to the side of the road than many do, but its where i feel comfortable, but on country lanes i ride right in the middle of my side where i can be seen clearly for a distance instead of shaded by trees and bushes

My recumbent - 3 rear lights and 2 front, no matter the road, i am always square in the middle of my side to be seen and if thats a problem for a car driver then tough, i don't give up my space unless i see in my rear view a local bus, i'll move over slightly because i know most of the drivers in person and they pass at a safe distance, so i'll give them the room to get by me to help them out

In general, ride where you feel comfortable and if you find your getting alot of close passes, move out a little so they can't squeeze through on your side of the road, that will discourage them from trying to nip through and take the care of crossing the road to pass you

Latest Comments