Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Cav's helmet??

Right, what was that he was wearing in the world champs?? looked very strange, like a helmet with a plastic cover on it, didn't look like it had much ventilation either

It looked awful, but i'd like to know about it anyway  39

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

8 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Really?? I knew it would be possible, but i wasn't going to try it, lol

cborrman | 12 years ago
0 likes

i did one for my s-works hemlet on the vaccuformer (be careful to keep the temperature low and heat the film from above only, otherwise the hemlet melts)

I did it more for keeping the cold and wet out in winter than *ahem* marginal gains, you keep the front and back vents, its just all the top ones that go. despite the *ahem* its defo more aero when over 50km/h. seeing as i rarely go over that speed except for gravity, then it is not much of an issue, but when you do 200km at that speed and sprint to 70km/h then why not?

Do not know why all helmets do not come with them, I have started using a cheaper specialized vice hemlet in winter as its poor ventilation keeps my head warmer, the s-works is so well ventilated it needs a head warmer under about 10C!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cling film, now thats a plan, cover a helmet shape in it and bake, lol, shrink wrap  4

James Warrener | 12 years ago
0 likes

Looked like cling film on his head... very amusing.

Will all be doing it now though  3

stealth | 12 years ago
0 likes

The Sky team have been wearing non-vented and part-vented helmets all year. I guess it must be something to do with *ahem* marginal gains. As an over-view, for most of us, it is completely unnecessary!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ah ha, cheers guys, it was one ugly looking thing and another gimmick to rip us off

If there was a need for this, just design a decent helmet that already incorporate's no vents on the top

si4star | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's a specialized prevail with a plastic cover on. Sky used them on there kask helmets in tour de France too. As yet I've only seen them for sale for lazer helmets. Would love to know when they'll be a available for the prevail.

Think of them as making a road helmet more aero dynamic.

Have a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7rVokc6VraI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Stumps | 12 years ago
0 likes

At first i thought it was a Kask helmet that Sky wear with a plastic cover over it with Specialized printed on it.

On closer inspection it was a proper Specialized lid but your right it did look strange  39

Latest Comments