Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Seat height....

I know seat height is a personal thing like tyre choice etc etc,..... However!
I've had a very sparse last 2 years of training and think this is the perfect time to get my position dialled in properly. I've never been happy with it really.
I tried the Lemond method of 88.3% of inside leg yesterday but it feels very low- I can get both feet flat on the floor! I think that me seat has been too high for years which probably doesn't help either.
I think my frame is too big too. Giant OCR 57cm centre of seat post to centre of stem, I'm looking at a cx bike and think I'll get a 54.5cm.
Anybody got any methods they trust? I'm 6 feet tall but don't have particularly long legs,31 inch inside leg ( I even went to an old school gents outfitters to get this checked)...a long backed freak really  1
Any help much appreciated!

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

5 comments

seabass89 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I find this video quite nice.. And he has a nice voice!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAl_5e7bIHk&feature=related

slowclimb | 12 years ago
0 likes

Cheers for all the info chaps! You're right Nick & Psyclyst I'm sure a bike fit is the best way...trying to save cash though. I am Scottish after all  3

Nick the bike I'm looking at is a 54.5 top tube cx bike so I reckon that will be better. I'm thinking of getting a new frame once I'm sure what I need as all the components are reasonably decent.
Cheers for the tip on the app, I just downloaded it, it looks good.
Thanks again all of you, much appreciated  1

Psyclyst | 12 years ago
0 likes

Have a bike fit. It's money well spent. This guy is very good www.cadencesport.co.uk/ .

nick_rearden | 12 years ago
0 likes

Slow, is it possible you're using the otherwise pretty accurate Lemond method but measuring the wrong dimension on your bike if your feet are flat on the floor? The inside leg x 0.883 Lemond formula is supposed to derive the bb centre to saddle top. Sounds to me like you're measuring from the pedal spindle to the saddle top. If you want to use that dimension, multiply your inside leg by 1.09. That formula works pretty well, too, and it takes into account your crank length although that's almost certainly 170mm on your size bike.

If you want to try something else and you have an iPhone try the SizeMyBike app http://www.sizemybike.com/ I've verified it with myself and about six other people's fit and seems good; not least because it gives you all the required dimensions and not just saddle height.

By the way, avoid buying bikes by the nominal frame size. You say you're thinking of buying a 54.5cm frame and that may well sound OK for your inside leg length but that takes no account of the top tube and it's that that matters if you say you have a 'long back'. It's possible to make generalisations about frame sizes for average proportions but these days with sloping top tubes and the rule book for what the nominal frame size actually means being thrown out of the window by some manufacturers, it's actually easier to just go by the effective top tube length.

Your 57cm top tube might just about be OK depending on your arm length and preferred position but I don't imagine your stem length should be more than 10cm?

wvanry | 12 years ago
0 likes

I think a visit to the bike whisperer is money well spent.

Latest Comments