Slipstreaming

by OldRidgeback   May 19, 2009  

What does anyone else think about slipstreaming? I've had a few incidences of people slipstreaming me on my commute to work in London and I'm getting truly fed up of it. I don't see a problem with this on a club ride but for a commute in traffic, it's just asking for an accident. I don't believe anyone has such a good attention span and such lightning reflexes that they can be relied upon to outbrake the rider in front on the road.

7 user comments

Oldest firstNewest firstBest rated

if anyone does it to me i just keep on slowing down until they're forced to overtake, then i hop on their wheel and see how long i can stay there Devil

seriously though it's not a great idea especially in cities. there's little to be gained from it at the kind of speed i commute at anyway.

cactuscat's picture

posted by cactuscat [303 posts]
19th May 2009 - 14:30

0 Likes

just slow down to a 5 mph plod and the 'slipstream-er' will either have to follow suit or overtake. i agree though it does seem a bit odd. same as when at traffic lights and people pull up alongside yet just a bit ahead, as if its some kind of race to see who can take off quickest when the lights change.

Fringe's picture

posted by Fringe [1082 posts]
19th May 2009 - 14:33

0 Likes

look catuscat beat me to the same reply by three minutes...

Fringe's picture

posted by Fringe [1082 posts]
19th May 2009 - 14:34

0 Likes

uphill. that's the only race that counts. i often let people pass me on the flat and see if i can reel them in on the climbs. that's the real challenge Smile

cactuscat's picture

19th May 2009 - 14:34

0 Likes

we are of one mind, fringe...

cactuscat's picture

19th May 2009 - 14:35

0 Likes

When I catch someone slipstreaming I generally stop pedalling, wait until they start to overtake and then step on the pedals again. After a couple of times they get the message. One time I swerved to avoid a pothole and the guy behind clipped his front wheel against my back wheel and hit the deck with a crash. I stopped and helped him up and then told him it was his own fault. I bet he won't be doing that again. Like I said, in traffic it's just asking for trouble.

OldRidgeback

posted by OldRidgeback [2237 posts]
19th May 2009 - 21:01

0 Likes

I hate it when people wheelsuck without at least saying hello and asking to join in.

I've had a spate of them recently, the last two were luckily on tempo rides, so I could just keep winding it up until they dropped off the back.

I had one the other day that was on my wheel for quite a while, I had noticed him pulling out of a junction as I passed a mile or so before. I looked round to check for cars as I swung out around a pot-hole and there he was, right on my wheel - it scared the crap out of me as I wasn't expecting it at all. I swung out and invited him to take his turn, he said he was trying for a PB on his way to where-ever and jumped on my wheel to help out (cheeky, without asking). I was out to beast it a bit so said okay jump back on then and I'll give you a tow, I started to wind it right up, and looked round after half a mile to see him about 10 lengths back and bright red looking, I waved and swung off.

Complicating matters since 1965

DaSy's picture

posted by DaSy [649 posts]
20th May 2009 - 16:22

0 Likes