Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Slipstreaming

What does anyone else think about slipstreaming? I've had a few incidences of people slipstreaming me on my commute to work in London and I'm getting truly fed up of it. I don't see a problem with this on a club ride but for a commute in traffic, it's just asking for an accident. I don't believe anyone has such a good attention span and such lightning reflexes that they can be relied upon to outbrake the rider in front on the road.

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

7 comments

DaSy | 14 years ago
0 likes

I hate it when people wheelsuck without at least saying hello and asking to join in.

I've had a spate of them recently, the last two were luckily on tempo rides, so I could just keep winding it up until they dropped off the back.

I had one the other day that was on my wheel for quite a while, I had noticed him pulling out of a junction as I passed a mile or so before. I looked round to check for cars as I swung out around a pot-hole and there he was, right on my wheel - it scared the crap out of me as I wasn't expecting it at all. I swung out and invited him to take his turn, he said he was trying for a PB on his way to where-ever and jumped on my wheel to help out (cheeky, without asking). I was out to beast it a bit so said okay jump back on then and I'll give you a tow, I started to wind it right up, and looked round after half a mile to see him about 10 lengths back and bright red looking, I waved and swung off.

OldRidgeback | 14 years ago
0 likes

When I catch someone slipstreaming I generally stop pedalling, wait until they start to overtake and then step on the pedals again. After a couple of times they get the message. One time I swerved to avoid a pothole and the guy behind clipped his front wheel against my back wheel and hit the deck with a crash. I stopped and helped him up and then told him it was his own fault. I bet he won't be doing that again. Like I said, in traffic it's just asking for trouble.

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

we are of one mind, fringe...

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

uphill. that's the only race that counts. i often let people pass me on the flat and see if i can reel them in on the climbs. that's the real challenge  1

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

look catuscat beat me to the same reply by three minutes...

Fringe | 14 years ago
0 likes

just slow down to a 5 mph plod and the 'slipstream-er' will either have to follow suit or overtake. i agree though it does seem a bit odd. same as when at traffic lights and people pull up alongside yet just a bit ahead, as if its some kind of race to see who can take off quickest when the lights change.

cactuscat | 14 years ago
0 likes

if anyone does it to me i just keep on slowing down until they're forced to overtake, then i hop on their wheel and see how long i can stay there  19

seriously though it's not a great idea especially in cities. there's little to be gained from it at the kind of speed i commute at anyway.

Latest Comments