Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Stage 6 La Vuelta

Day six in La Vuelta's baking heat, biggest news this morning is Matti Breschel has withdrawn/abandoned but i dont know why yet, someone will fill me in i'm sure

So fairly average stage today with a Cat 2 kick near the end which should kill off the chances of the sprinters and leave it will the bigger GC guys again today

Not sure i'm liking how this year's course has been laid out, its all about climbs and GC guys in the first week rather than giving the lesser known guys and sprinters a chance to win some points and stages

Whatever i may think, i shall be sitting watching it today from my recliner because during the night i went up the stairs to the toilet and just like normal, i didn't put the stair lights on, coming back down i missed a step and landed in a heap at the bottom, so my newly healed dislocated thumb is playing up and i think i've twisted an ankle  14

Four guys in the break today, they have 2 mins up the road
25 Palomares (ESP, ACG) +51:25
32 Kohler (SUI, BMC) +52:25
45 Saramotins (LAT, COF) +1:12:55
172 Doi (JPN, SKS) +1:13:07

http://skysports.html.infostradasports.com/asp/lib/event/tour/index.asp?...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

49 comments

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

tomorrow looks like a classic man's day so went

Stage 72 IN:Daniel MARTIN OUT:Luis Leon SANCHEZ GIL
Stage 72 IN:Jan BAKELANDTS OUT:Konstantin SIVTSOV

stewieatb | 12 years ago
0 likes

Ahh. I have Bakelandts too  3

Alan Tullett | 12 years ago
0 likes

Got Kittel and Degenkolb in my team. Had them both in my team for far too long in fact so I hope they come good tomorrow.

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just spotted a problem with the scoring for stage 6, looks like Sagan should have 26 points instead of 21:

20 for the stage win
5 for being a member of the winning team
1 for 5th in the points classification

or am I wrong?

Oli Pendrey | 12 years ago
0 likes

@drheaton Top marks for observation, but unfortunately that's not the case. We give the 5 bonus points to the stage winner's team mates but not the stage winner himself.

However...I've just done the morning check of the results and there's just been one change overnight. Houanard actually came 2nd in the second intermediate sprint, so he gets the 4pts instead of Palomares.

It seems that as the first week draws to a close the Vuelta score-monkeys have finally got the hang of this results lark  4

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

Fair enough although I thought in previous GTs like this years Giro and TdF that all members got the 5 points so effectively every time Cav won in the TdF he was getting 25 points. I could be, and probably am, wrong but that was just my impression.

EDIT: Sorry, just checked a couple of TdF stages and I am wrong  2

Just seems a little harsh that if two team mates finish 1-2 the guy in second gets more points than the guy in first.

Oli Pendrey | 12 years ago
0 likes

That's a good point, obviously it's not something that occurs too often, but yesterday was a prime example with the Liquigas-Cannondale guys. I'll stick it on the list of things to discuss when we assess the game for next season.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Its the same with J-rod won and his team mate was 3rd

I dont think it needs discussed at all, its a fair was to score, If his team mate is last, still gets 5 points, so if they happen to finished 1-2 and 2nd gets more points, then you just hope you have him in your team  19

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

True, and I guess it doesn't come up very often but there doesn't seem to be much benefit to getting the winning rider as opposed, say, to the guy who finishes 6th who's on the same team and also gets 20pts.

By giving 5pts to the winner as well it creates a clear gap in points between 1st and 2nd and encourages you to go after the winner (not that we all don't already do that but it rewards you more for getting it right). Plus it'd likely be easier to administer as you then can just add 5pts to every member of the team.

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

You could argue that the Liquigas riders be docked five points each yesterday for all the assistance they gave Sagan (and the flea in the ear he got afterwards)  3

drheaton | 12 years ago
0 likes

True and sometimes the 5pts seems far too generous when teams have a breakaway winner and don't do any work all day long.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

For me, i dont always go for the winners, sometimes i'm just lucky, like with Lastaras in his break away, it wasn't the fact that i knew he was going to do something in the tour its just that i knew Movistar would and thats the rider i put in

Dont put it past him to jump people towards the end of the stage and try to win again, i think he'll be in the points today ahead of J-Rod tho

stewieatb | 12 years ago
0 likes

Right, I'm away for a few days, so I've got to plan for a breakway day, two mountain stages, and the ITT. Moncoutie and Degenkolb in for Froome and Garate. I'm hoping Degenkolb in a break tomorrow, Moncoutie for the hills. I've got Bennati in for tomorrow in case it does become a sprint, and Wiggo for the TT, where he should jump up in the GC, all being well.

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hmmm he might come to something, i didn't know he was only 22, but i feel the next german star is already Marcel Kittel

Simon_MacMichael | 12 years ago
0 likes

Bizarre couple of comments about Degenkolb  13

The guy is 22 years old. He's in his first season at this level. Among other wins, he took two stages of the Dauphine. He's on his way to becoming the next big star of German cycling.

Geraint Thomas rates him. That's enough to keep him in my team. Especially since there is no Goss or Cav for HTC to work for in the flatter stages  3

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

This year? i've never really rated him that much, but he could come good, just not this tour, even if he did get better i think there are to many others to out class him

londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

is the considered opinion that Degenkolb is not on form this year?

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

I doubt it, is energy is hanging out his behind, lol

Phinney for the break 2moro

JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes

i predict Degenkold will do well tomorrow cos i just transferred him out for a climber

0 likes

cheers Oli! keep up the good work. enjoy playing the comp. even tho I probably haven't got a chance in hell of winning!

what does everyone reckon for tomorrow? who is the better GC - Nibali or Rodriguez?

0 likes

the game seems to take ages to update during la vuelta. anyone else noticed that? during the TdeF, it used to be done within 10 mins.

not complaining, just an observation!

Oli Pendrey replied to londonplayer | 12 years ago
0 likes

@londonplayer Yes you're right it does take longer, it's because for some reason it takes longer for La Vuelta to put up the official scores on their website. As soon as they're on there we update ours.

bubby016 | 12 years ago
0 likes

oh, well thanks for the false alarm  14

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sutton comes in with a group 21:12 mins down

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Sutton not showing as over the line yet, he'll be timed out i think

bubby016 | 12 years ago
0 likes

85 i think  4  4  4 edit but three of my riders haven't finished yet!!!!  13  13  20 i forget about the time limit hit me  102

JAndrewHill | 12 years ago
0 likes

About 81 pts I think . . . . went for Rodriguez and shudda gone for Nibbly !
. . . but who will win the sprint tomorrow?

Have BMC got any mates?
Is it worth getting Bennatti back?
Could Sagan do a double?
Has Sutton finished yet?

macauley ley | 12 years ago
0 likes

if i got the points scorings right then i might have 61 points for today not bad for my first stage  4 !!

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Its a shame that road.cc aint scoring the allround jersey cause i would have another 9 points for that aswell, would have been good see as there is no young riders jersey here  19

Gkam84 | 12 years ago
0 likes

Erm once the guy decides to put them into the tables, lol

Normally in a couple of hours but they are subject to change depending on La Vuelta changing them overnight, Like the Lastras issue above, I think for the win earlier in the week and the 2nd today that should move him above J-Rod but we'll see, either way i dont mind cause i have them both  19

Pages

Latest Comments