Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

accident causes

This is an interesting article and suggests just why the UK approach to improving road safety through the use of speed cameras has been so ineffective - as most of us know from our road experience, SMIDSY is the biggest worry and this applies to motorcycling as much as it does to cycling:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/road-safety/8702111/How-do-accidents...

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

4 comments

OldRidgeback | 12 years ago
0 likes

People driving too close are a major cause of accidents. This happens when people are in a hurry but cannot overtake. When someone tailgates me and I'm in the car I generally slow down. Some get the message and some get even more enraged. It's interesting looking at tailgating from the perspective of a motorcyclist or cyclist - you understand then just how pointless it is.

DfT data says that innappropriate speed is only a factor and not a major cause of accidents. I still think SMIDSY is the real killer on the road and is the one thing the DfT should really be targeting.

Campag_10 | 12 years ago
0 likes

It reads to me that inappropriate (high) speed is a factor in a large proportion of accidents. Intuitively, I believe that travelling too close to the vehicle in front is a significant issue - which has the same net result as excess speed - "nowhere to go".

OldRidgeback | 12 years ago
0 likes

It's all in the interpretation I suppose - I read it quite differently.

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Just shows you that it's all a matter of perspective just from reading that news report I'd say the report reinforces the point about speed being the biggest contributing factor - which is slightly different from "speeding" and includes not only breaking the speed limit, but also inappropriate speed for the conditions, driver reaction time - biggest limiting factor is surely going too fast.

SMIDSY is definitely important but according to the report "loss of control" accounts for 34 per cent of fatal accidents - "which, says Greig, often means leaving yourself with "nowhere to go" after entering a bend or other situation, too quickly." And then there's failure to judge other person's path or speed - I'd suggest that either they or you travelling too fast might be a contibuting factor there as well.

Not surprisingly I suppose this does cover much the same ground as this report commissioned by the DfT in to collissions involving cyclsts http://www.trl.co.uk/online_store/reports_publications/trl_reports/cat_r...

Latest Comments