Support road.cc

Like this site? Help us to make it better.

Should I grind my seat post to fit the saddle rails?

Hi,

I'm really far from home or I'd just go to the LBS and try a different seat post. I have a Selle SMP Strike Evolution with carbon rails. The seat post is an Easton EA70. The rails on the saddle are a bit weird because of the egg shape so I had to buy a new seat post to replace the Race Face side clamp seat post I had.
The problem is the difference in width on the EA70 seat post. The rails on the seat are not as wide so when I tighten the bolts the rails are pulled apart. The difference is about 2-3mm. SMP recommends "filing away sharp edges".

Is it normal to have to use a file on this seat post or should I replace it for something that fits better?

Thanks,
Hector

If you're new please join in and if you have questions pop them below and the forum regulars will answer as best we can.

Add new comment

1 comments

Tony Farrelly | 12 years ago
0 likes

Hmm… how far away from a bike shop are you? I'd say your best bet is to take it in to a shop and let them have a look, don't think I'd want to be filing the seat post… anyway surely it is the clamp that is the problem rather than the post itelf?

That said is the rails being pulled apart that much of a problem - do the rails flex enough to fit the clamp or are you worried that they won't stay fitted to the clamp?

Latest Comments