LOOK 585 Optimum, black, XL (‘sportive’ geometry)

by RichTheRoadie   August 23, 2011  

I’ve got my heart set on a Pegoretti, but if I get one without shifting something else my balls will be on a plinth with a blade hanging over them…

The LOOK 585 Optimum is a high modulus carbon sportive bike – to illustrate what this means, this particular one I’m selling is an XL (57cm), but the top tube is only 56cm and the head tube is 19cm. This works perfectly for me purely because I have long legs and a short torso and means I’ve been able to run an off-the-peg frame comfortably. For those riding long events and sportives it is ideal as the taller head tube and shorter top tube allows a more comfortable position.

The frame cost me around £1850 this time last year (the RRP was around £2250) and is built using LOOK’s traditional lugged construction. The medium version of this frame comes in at under 1000g, although I think this XL version is more like 1100g – still, for a ‘sportive bike’ you’re not going to get anything much lighter! It uses LOOK’s innovative headset design and runs the highly regarded LOOK HSC 5SL fork.

The bike isn’t yet stripped, but this is what it looked like built:

This is what road.cc had to say about it, and this is what Cycling Weekly thought. Here’s my own review too. There’s also a link to some more detail about the geometry here.

I can sell the frame with a LOOK carbon stem (-8 degree, 110mm). I will also leave a bottom bracket in the frame – I have a used black Hope BB, steel bearings, currently fitted with the GXP adaptor to run SRAM or Truvativ cranks, or I can put a brand new black Rotor BB in there if you want to run a standard 24mm Shimano (or similar) crank. I’ll leave the white Bontrager bottle cages on too.

The frame has a registered datatag in it, and is also registered with BikeRevolution.org – both of which can be transferred to the new owner.

It’s not immaculate – there are a couple of chinks in the lacquer and some cable rub but nothing structural. This is reflected in the price, which at £850 is frankly a LOT of bike for the money.

PM me if interested